Blood Sugar Levels

Options
I just had a my blood sugar tested and it was 81 mg/dl. Is that too low? I just ate, but I haven't had much sugar since lunch.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Actually that's just about right. Your blood sugar (unless you're diabetic) is normally around 60. So that it's at about 80 when you just ate (ie, your pancreas hasn't produced the insulin to bring it back down yet) is pretty normal.
  • fdonhauser
    Options
    No thats not low, its a good number. For someone who isn't diabetic your blood sugar should be anywhere from 70-110. And if you're blood sugar gets below that you may feel a little light headed, but your body should be healthy enough to keep your sugar level above that.
  • Lupanara
    Options
    No, it isn't too low. You should be worried if it drops below 60. It also takes about an hour to rise and stabilize. If you're worried about it, then drink some juice. Are you diabetic or just randomly testing you glucose?
  • cparton
    cparton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    no, not too low at all. That is a great level to at especially after having just eaten. A "normal" body should be in the 75-110mg/dl range at any given time during the day. Normal being somone without diabetes or someone in relatively decent physical shape.
  • Lolaluvv
    Options
    80 is normal but really should be a little higher when you have eaten...80 is the low side of normal.