Daily Calorie Limit and Exercise

Options
I've always been very confused about this. I am supposed to have 1200 cal/day to reach my weight loss goal. But I also work out. Does working out allow me extra calories to eat?

For example:

In the morning I have 1200 calories. I eat a 200 calorie bagel, which brings me down to 1000 calories. Then I burn 200 calories exercising. Does this mean I get 1200 calories for the rest of the day? Or should I not count the exercise calories and still plan on eating only 1000 calories for the rest of the day?

Hope that makes sense.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've always been very confused about this. I am supposed to have 1200 cal/day to reach my weight loss goal. But I also work out. Does working out allow me extra calories to eat?

For example:

In the morning I have 1200 calories. I eat a 200 calorie bagel, which brings me down to 1000 calories. Then I burn 200 calories exercising. Does this mean I get 1200 calories for the rest of the day? Or should I not count the exercise calories and still plan on eating only 1000 calories for the rest of the day?

Hope that makes sense.

MFP as designed expects you to eat exercise calories back. That way people who can't workout still lose weight.

A couple things you should know. 1200 is MFP's lowest minimum default. It could be a correct number for you, it could be an error in your initial set up.

Calorie burns are estimates. MFP gives rather generous estimates.

Some threads (really good info) to get you started:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • queenchelsea
    Options
    So should I not eat the calories back? I've read that not eating enough calories can mess up your metabolism.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Actually, you *should* eat your calories back. You should look at the "net" calories when you log. Those should be around 1200 if that's your goal.
  • queenchelsea
    Options
    The scooby calculator is telling me I need almost 300 more calories a day than any other website I've used. Is it really supposed to be that accurate?
  • queenchelsea
    Options
    Actually, you *should* eat your calories back. You should look at the "net" calories when you log. Those should be around 1200 if that's your goal.

So confused. I get different answers from everyone. Guess that's the nature of the internet haha.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So should I not eat the calories back?
    Just think for a moment - why do you think the site adds the calories to your daily allowance if it didn't intend them to be eaten?

Here's another good link to read, there's loads of great info available and it's really worth taking your time to get your set-up appropriate for you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

So confused. I get different answers from everyone. Guess that's the nature of the internet haha.

If you eat using MFP guidelines alone, then you are supposed to eat them back. If you use the TDEE (as suggested by other people), that's not the case. :)
  • queenchelsea
    Options

If you eat using MFP guidelines alone, then you are supposed to eat them back. If you use the TDEE (as suggested by other people), that's not the case. :)

I worry because the TDEE is telling me I need 1500ish calories a day. That's 300 more calories a day than any other calculator I've used.
  • joelgriffiths
    joelgriffiths Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No. You will want to eat the calories back.

This website expects you to log food AND exercise. It then adjusts your calorie limit to let you eat more if you burned extra calories working out.

There are alternatives to eating the calories back, but I find that I more consistently lose weight without starving when I aim for a deficit instead of a specific caloric intake.

So if your goal is 1200 and you exercise for 200, then you will want to aim for 1400 calories that day.

When you initially set your account up, it's important to let MFP calculate your calories without exercise though. For instance, I use sedentary for MFP even though I workout almost every day. I use that because, without working out, I am sedentary. If I workout, I add the calories back in.

If you use a heart rate monitor, you can adjust the estimates MFP gives you for your workout and it will learn what your caloric burn rate is for a specific exercise.

Beware of some heart-rate monitors. My current one calculates the total number of calories I burn during a workout, but it doesn't subtract my BMR from it. Since I burn 2400 calories a day doing nothing, I need to adjust my heart rate meter some when I enter the calories. If I burn 600 calories in and hour, I have to subtract the 100 calories I would have burned otherwise. Usually this can be ignored, but I'm a math nerd so I like to track my deficit rather closely.

Finally, welcome to MFP. It really works and it's not as hard as most people think.

PS. This has worked for me very well. I can quite literally track the 1 lb of weight loss for every 3500 calories of deficit. I lost 60 lbs a couple years ago with this method. Now I need to lose 25 again, but that's what I get for not tracking things.
  • Rattym123
    Rattym123 Posts: 7
    Options
    I read today that you should eat your calories back, hadn't realised I wasn't helping myself when I was not doing so. But the issue I have now is trying to fill my calories back, today has been a struggle. I have eaten though I didn't really want to or need too to fulfil the calories, and even had a chocolate cake and some cheese to help me do this (treating myself from all the times I didn't), but it's so hard...
  • joelgriffiths
    joelgriffiths Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I read today that you should eat your calories back, hadn't realised I wasn't helping myself when I was not doing so. But the issue I have now is trying to fill my calories back, today has been a struggle. I have eaten though I didn't really want to or need too to fulfil the calories, and even had a chocolate cake and some cheese to help me do this (treating myself from all the times I didn't), but it's so hard...

If you're not hungry, there is no need to eat your calories back. I find that I go through days of not needing the calories followed by days where I just can't do the 1k deficit. Eat when you're really hungry and don't eat when you're not. That said, there is something to be said about eating before you get too hungry because it will prevent you from wanting to devour the next meal you see.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I worry because the TDEE is telling me I need 1500ish calories a day. That's 300 more calories a day than any other calculator I've used.

I can name one calculator that is closer than 300 calories - myfitnesspal is telling you to eat 1200 + exercise calories.
  • queenchelsea
    Options

I can name one calculator that is closer than 300 calories - myfitnesspal is telling you to eat 1200 + exercise calories.

You got me! Haha. But I've used SHAPE magazines, WebMD's, caloriecount,com's, livestrong's etc etc etc.