SCALE PROBLEM

Options
I was just wondering. I have heard to weigh yourself everyday and I have also heard that it is bad to do that. What does everyone else think. I do it every morning and I might want to say that I am a bit crazy about it. I have a routine that I must do before I get on the scale. Is this bad and should I not do this? Let me know what you all think.

Replies

• ThePhatMan
    Options
    I weigh in once a month. Don't have to worry about the day to day fluctuations and you can make up a mis-step along the way. Not to many will weigh in once a month. The overwhelming desire to know becomes to much.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    if you weigh every day it could go up and down and you may get disappointed. I have gone from 3 or 4 times a day to 1 time until 1 time a week. its probably best that way, at least for me. that way i can get a realistic weight. good luck to you.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can't stand to see the scale more than my once a week for check-in because of the daily fluctuations, sometimes when I've had a lot of water etc. Seeing the scale higher leads me to work against myself and get all, well what I'm doing ain't working so I shall just snack anyway. I'll take it once a week, and be happy with that.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. It's hard sometimes to hold back but I only do once a week. :)
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Everyone is different. I weigh in most mornings, and I enjoy seeing the feedback about how I am doing. I don't stress over it, but I use it to help me know that maybe I need a little more water, less sodium, etc. that day. It can be helpful, if you don't obsess. You're the only one who really knows yourself and what effect it will have on you.
  • Knaroz
    Knaroz Posts: 23
    Options
    My Wii Fit requires me to do the daily weigh-in but I just do it and keep my eyes closed lol
  • bowserette
    bowserette Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day. I know that I will fluctuate from day to day, but the little victories keep me motivated. It really depends on how you'll react to it. If you can accept that you'll sometimes fluctuate up, sometimes down, then you should be fine weighing in everyday. If you'll drive yourself crazy with that, then once a week is probably better.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That daily weighing is not recommended. Once a week maximum is all you should do. I weigh in on Saturday or Sunday mornings because I get my best sleep on the previous nights nights. I weigh less on Saturdays or Sundays than any other day of the week. After using the restroom, in the nude and before eating or drinking anything. That is the best time--but just once a week. :smile:
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm always tempted to weigh in each day, but I try to limit it to once a week so the difference is bigger (a few pounds instead of tenths of a pound each day). I usually weigh myself each Sunday in the morning, before I've eaten.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    My Wii Fit requires me to do the daily weigh-in but I just do it and keep my eyes closed lol
    This is GREAT! My Wii is 15lbs off cuz i have it on an area rug on a carpet! haha oops ;)
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    Just starting MFP, and I've been weighing in (updating) about 2X a week, but I'm still looking almost every day, but not worrying about the day to day change (unless it's for the better :) )
  • christinabgsu
    Options
    I weigh myself everytime I'm in the master bathroom! And I don't obsess over it--I am looking at the overall trend of my weight. I catch some flack for it, but I know that I'm not internally freaking out over every ounce. But to each his/her own. Do what feels healthy to you. Just be aware of how it makes you feel, and if you start to obsess too much, try to back off. And good luck!
  • tea76
    tea76 Posts: 35
    Options
    hey im only stepping out on the scales once a week at the same time! i think standing on them everyday will drive me crazy xx
  • starlitesue
    Options
    I weigh in every day, first thing in the morning after using the restroom before drinking or eating anything. Weighing in every day is not recommended, but for me the actual number is a lot better than the number in my head.

Some days I feel like I screwed up the day before and I just feel huge. And I'll think (irrationally) "OMG I gained 5 pounds". But if I had weighed myself that morning then I know I only gained a half pound and I think "oh it's only a half pound higher, that's not a big deal it's probably a natural fluctuation"

So I only recommend weighting in every day if you're neurotic like me :-)
  • yacker678
    Options
    Thank goodness I am not the only one!!! :)
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but I have an "official" weigh day and the number on that day is the one I count if I'm up or down. I have to weigh daily because it reminds to focus on what I'm eating. I find I gain weight when I don't weigh - out of sight, out of mind. But you have to go with what works for you. If it makes you crazy to see the daily ups and down, then weigh weekly.
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I know you're not supposed to, but I can't help it.
  • redrobyn1
    redrobyn1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do it every day too, but only because my wii fit wants me to, but I take it really seriously on my weigh in day every other day it is just to keep me on track.:smile:
  • evulka21
    evulka21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week. I feel much better seeing the difference on my looser fitting clothes :) daily weigh ins have to be frustrating sometimes...that muscle mass weighs more than fat:)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I enjoy seeing the # every morning. But I only add my weigh in here once a week. I do NOT choose the lowest weight per week and enter that. I just put whatever I weigh on my check in day.

After a while (closer to your goal weight) it will not be good to focus on the numbers. At that point you should be measuring and seeing how clothes fit / how you feel energy-wise and so on. When you are very close to your healthiest weight, you will see the numbers start to go back up (!!) or stay the same, because you are successfully replacing your fat space, with good ol' muscle.

Best of luck on your journey! Feel free to weigh each morn!