It's not working :( I'm not loosing weight or inches

Options
Hi there I was wondering if any of you guys can help me out. I'm fairly new to this and have been using MFP to track my calories and exercise. I'm happy to loose as little as necessary a week but I want to at least see some results. I am 31, 5ft 5 and weight 60.5kg. My calories are set to 1200 which I have tried to stick to but have found it really hard. I've been exercising most days, either swimming, running, iceskating or a workout DVD and have been eating my exercise calories back. I've been trying to make healthy choices food wise and have been eating lots of vegetables, fish and chicken. However after all of this hard work and effort the scales just aren't budging and neither is the tape measure. What is it that I'm doing so wrong? Is there something really obvious that I am missing here. Should I not be eating my exercise calories back? Because if this is he case I will be absolutely starving.

Anyway sorry for the long winded question. I appreciate any feedback given :)

Replies

• fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    In my opinion - Don't track your exercise in MFP. This just gives you more calories to eat and MFP is terrible at tracking calories burned through exercise. I would just track your food and weight.

Also, 1200 is too low... try starting somewhere around 1500-1700 and track your weight for about two weeks. If the scale doesnt budge or goes up then lower the calories slightly... around 100 less. If it goes down then keep doing what your doing until you stall... then lower the calories or up the exercise.

At the end of the day its calories in vs calories out... so you can decide if you want to burn more through exercise or eat less.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Sorry to hear you have that problem. The weight issue might NOT be an actual issue, as you're most likely also gaining muscle as you continue to work out, and we all know muscle weighs more than fat. As for the inches... I'm also on a 1200 calorie diet, and I try not to eat my exercise calories back, even if I'm in the negative zone. I've lost about 7 lbs since the start and it's been about a month. Also, try to be aware of the fat intake and carb intake. Eating larger amounts of protein can help you gain muscle, which will "replace" your fat. I'd just suggest keeping an eye on the carbs and fats, and try not to eat your exercise calories back. I mean, unless you absolutely need to. If you're starving after a workout, go ahead and eat those back. But if you're just eh after a workout, try a protein bar or a smoothie/shake.

However, I'm just a normal person and you shouldn't take this as professional help :)

Good luck!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What fitzman said...

I really like this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us to take a look? It really can help to have a second pair of eyes go over your logs.

You don't mention how long you've been at this. Stalls of a week or two are really common, especially if you've made changes to your eating habits or exercise routine. Our bodies have a habit of holding onto extra water weight when we make changes, which can mask any fat loss that's happening. If it's been less than three weeks or so then it's possible you're not doing anything wrong.

Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you started and haven't seen results?

If you're not losing, you're not creating a calorie deficit. Your diary is closed so we cannot tell if you are accurately logging your intake.

Are you weighing everything? If not, you're eating more than you think.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us to take a look? It really can help to have a second pair of eyes go over your logs.

You don't mention how long you've been at this. Stalls of a week or two are really common, especially if you've made changes to your eating habits or exercise routine. Our bodies have a habit of holding onto extra water weight when we make changes, which can mask any fat loss that's happening. If it's been less than three weeks or so then it's possible you're not doing anything wrong.

Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

^^^ What she said. Plus at 5'5" and 133.38 lbs (60.5kg), How much weight are you looking to lose?
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Hi there! Sorry to hear you have that problem. The weight issue might NOT be an actual issue, as you're most likely also gaining muscle as you continue to work out, and we all know muscle weighs more than fat. As for the inches... I'm also on a 1200 calorie diet, and I try not to eat my exercise calories back, even if I'm in the negative zone. I've lost about 7 lbs since the start and it's been about a month. Also, try to be aware of the fat intake and carb intake. Eating larger amounts of protein can help you gain muscle, which will "replace" your fat. I'd just suggest keeping an eye on the carbs and fats, and try not to eat your exercise calories back. I mean, unless you absolutely need to. If you're starving after a workout, go ahead and eat those back. But if you're just eh after a workout, try a protein bar or a smoothie/shake.

However, I'm just a normal person and you shouldn't take this as professional help :)

Good luck!

Honestly, I don't think she's weighing all her food, so she probably isn't really eating 1200 calories a day. I see that this is your first post, so you probably don't know that it is virtually impossible to build muscle while eating at a deficit. Just doesn't work that way. I suggest that you, as well as the OP, read the links that diannethegeek provided.
  • hothayley2000
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I am weighing all of my food using food scales and wear a heart rate monitor when performing any exercise to try get as accurate idea as possible. I'll open up my diary for you to have a look through :)
  • hothayley2000
    Options
    It should be open now
  • __freckles__
    Options
    It should be open now

Nope, it's still private. Go to Settings, then Diary Settings, then at the bottom of the page set it to "Public."
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I am weighing all of my food using food scales and wear a heart rate monitor when performing any exercise to try get as accurate idea as possible. I'll open up my diary for you to have a look through :)

How long have you been counting your calories and not seeing results?
  • hothayley2000
    Options
    Hi there for just over 4 weeks now but I've only logged them on MPF for around 2
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I posted almost the exact same thing today! Except I'm gaining weight. I am struggling with 1200 calories too. Having people see my diary helped and I think I have some ideas now. You can friend me if you'd like. I'm in the same boat!
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've actually built muscle while doing what I said..
    But also, the exercise calories on here don't seem to be correct a lot of the time, so even though you're still in the "negative" zone, you've probably eaten them back already. So actually, it is possible. :)
  • z31997
    z31997 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree if Fitzman84. You are going to go into starvation mode pretty soon and your body will fight to maintain weight. Bump up the calorie count and try some weights. All your workouts are very Aerobic. You won't gain that much muscle with that, and remember that a lb of lean musclue burns more calories when you are sitting down doing nothing. Incorporate some weights into your routine. Make sure you get a good burn withing 10 reps.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Hi there for just over 4 weeks now but I've only logged them on MPF for around 2

Honestly, I took a look at your diary, and it's hard to believe that you're actually weighing ALL your food down to the gram with a food scale. Everything has a nice round number. Just doesn't seem right. If you want you can take a look at my diary. See how most everything has a decimal point? That's why I'm skeptical about you weighing your food. But if I'm wrong, please let me know.

Also 2 weeks is not long enough to say you are not getting any results. You have to be accurately tracking for at least a month, I would say, before you should reevaluate your diet.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    I've actually built muscle while doing what I said..
    But also, the exercise calories on here don't seem to be correct a lot of the time, so even though you're still in the "negative" zone, you've probably eaten them back already. So actually, it is possible. :)

I'm pretty sure what you think is new muscle is just you burning away fat and revealing the muscle you already have. Stick around the boards for a while and do some research on muscle building. It is extremely hard to actively build muscle. Especially for us ladies. You have to be eating at a surplus and be progressively lifting heavier weights consistently for more than a couple of weeks in hopes of even gaining 1 pound of muscle.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your meat raw or cooked? I ask because 200g of chicken breast should be 220 calories if weighed raw and more like 330 if you weigh it after cooking (depending on the preparation, of course). There are a lot of inaccurate entries in the database and it looks like you might be running into some of them.
  • joelgriffiths
    joelgriffiths Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Should I not be eating my exercise calories back?

Eat them back. How long have you been at this? I've noticed it sometimes takes a couple weeks for my weight to change once I get into the program, then I'll drop 4-5 lbs and 1/2 inch suddenly. Give it time and it will work if you're keeping accurate calculations.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    How much wieght do you want to lose?
    My calories are at 1290 and I never eat back my exercise calories. But that's just me, I'm content without them.