How to beat Cravings/Addictions to certain foods?

Options
I know this has probably been asked before, but what are some methods that you all use to stop yourself from eating cravings? I think my want of ice cream is really getting out of hand! I swear I eat like three to four cones a week. I need to make this stop. I would really appreciate guidance and alternatives. Other links would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• RoseLavAllen
    RoseLavAllen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try soberts or frozen youghuts instead of ice cream. There are 500ml tubs of sorbet for only 350 calories for the whole tub! Which can work out at under 100 calories per portion so are great alternatives for ice cream
    Frozen yoghurt is not as low, but still a fair bit lower than ice cream :)
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That sounds awesome! I just crave the sweet taste of ice cream so I am hoping that sobert/yogurt can hit the spot! I'll go try that! :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Drink water before eating and often times you either find that you aren't hungry or eat less.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    Drink water before eating and often times you either find that you aren't hungry or eat less.

I have been doing that, but something about ice cream just makes me want more. It's like suddenly i have ice cream in my hand and I'm eating it. Makes me spends twice as much time working out... DX
  • Branstin
    Options
    If you want ice-cream then eat ice-cream. Work it into your calories limit for the day or week, earn the calories beforehand, eat at your maintenance calories level once in a while, or reduce your weekly weight loss rate in order to have more calories for snacks.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you want ice-cream then eat ice-cream. Work it into your calories limit for the day or week, earn the calories beforehand, eat at your maintenance calories level once in a while, or reduce your weekly weight loss rate in order to have more calories for snacks.

THIS!^
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I too find it hard to stop when I have a tub of ice cream in the freezer. For this reason, I switched to individually wrapped servings.

I found Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt bars in the store and they are delicious. Keeps me honest and I still get "ice cream" win-win.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options

Thanks for the advice. That's the whole banking calories thing, right? Does that really work? I know I should (and am) just work it in my day to day calorie limit, but I want to start eating healthier also. I don't think eating ice cream three times a week is healthy. Do you know any alternatives, maybe? That are as sweet or filling?
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Next time at the grocery store read the labels of all the ice creams. You will find the cheaper ones are lower in fat and sugar so lower in calories. Give it a try...
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I know this has probably been asked before, but what are some methods that you all use to stop yourself from eating cravings? I think my want of ice cream is really getting out of hand! I swear I eat like three to four cones a week. I need to make this stop. I would really appreciate guidance and alternatives. Other links would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    Three to four cones a week? That's not bad...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    individual portioned icecream cups/sandwiches/bars make portion control a lot simpler.
  • Branstin
    Options

Thanks for the advice. That's the whole banking calories thing, right? Does that really work? I know I should (and am) just work it in my day to day calorie limit, but I want to start eating healthier also. I don't think eating ice cream three times a week is healthy. Do you know any alternatives, maybe? That are as sweet or filling?

I don't live in a box or bubble. My life is flexible, therefore, my weight loss plan must be flexible as well. Flexibility worked for me on Weight Watchers in which I lost 32 lbs. and it is working on MFP in which I lost another 15 lbs. There isn't anything wrong with ice-cream. It all depends on if you are meeting your macros (carbs, fat, protein) and staying within your calories limit for the day or week. You could give up ice-cream and still gain weight if you are eating too much food. If ice-cream is your thing then make it work.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This probably seems overly simplistic but I always try to make treat decisions on a full stomach. A lot of my cravings (tonight I desperately wanted french fries) just come up when I am hungry. After eating a real meal that's in my plan, the idea of french fries just sort of fades away.

Like others have mentioned though, work it into your calorie budget. Heck, make a teart out of it every time you drop a few pounds. Saying no to something you want is about the best way to make sure you'll end up eating more of it than you wanted.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    I too find it hard to stop when I have a tub of ice cream in the freezer. For this reason, I switched to individually wrapped servings.

I found Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt bars in the store and they are delicious. Keeps me honest and I still get "ice cream" win-win.

I do it all honestly. I hate greek yogurt. I tried to get into that stuff, but I could not. Though I do like other yogurts.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    Next time at the grocery store read the labels of all the ice creams. You will find the cheaper ones are lower in fat and sugar so lower in calories. Give it a try...

Yeah. That's true. Saves money and calories, but I would like to find a healthy alternative. Thanks anyway.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    Three to four cones a week? That's not bad...

Really? A few people of said that... maybe I am just over thinking this?
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options

I don't live in a box or bubble. My life is flexible, therefore, my weight loss plan must be flexible as well. Flexibility worked for me on Weight Watchers in which I lost 32 lbs. and it is working on MFP in which I lost another 15 lbs. There isn't anything wrong with ice-cream. It all depends on if you are meeting your macros (carbs, fat, protein) and staying within your calories limit for the day or week. You could give up ice-cream and still gain weight if you are eating too much food. If ice-cream is your thing then make it work.

Alright. I guess I am going to stick to ice-cream then... but I am also going to work in more yogurt. Thanks a bunch! :D
  • Branstin
    Options
    Have you considered frozen yogurt?
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    Have you considered frozen yogurt?

Yes. I don't like it as much as ice-cream, but it's close. Though I always seem to want more of a sugar fix afterwards. I don't get what's up with me.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    The only answer I have come up with (and I sincerely hope you will be able to beat this without going to such an extreme) is to not eat those foods at all.

There is a gray area for me: raisins. I do have to make myself walk away from them sometimes. But I can generally keep control. Unless I'm drinking hard liquor. Then I swear there is no food I won't eat too much of. I'd probably chew up the yard if nothing else was on hand.