Body Fat %?

Options
What is the cheapest, least hassle way to get an accurate body fat % calculated? I'm not a member of a gym (as a SAHM in a one car family, it makes way more sense to work out at home), and I only go to the doctor once a year. Do most general practitioners even have the equipment to do body fat? My doctor has never offered to measure mine. And do you only get it measured once a year?

Or is there another option besides gym or doctor?

Replies

• RhondaBagley
    RhondaBagley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go to your local community college fitness center. I know in my area I can pay $25 for one session and have my body fat taken by certified professional trainers. They'll even write a strengthening program for you. You can also go on ACE - AMERICAN COUNCIL OF EXERCISE and type in your zip code to find a qualified personal trainer, which I am, who would charge a small fee. I charge $25. It is vital to have it checked about every other month at the least. Often the scale isn't showing the true progress of your healthy choices. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Get a set of calipers and a seamstress measuring tape...use a combination of appropriate measurements and the calipers. It is generally better to have someone else who knows what they are doing perform these things on you due to our (human's) propensity to cheat and lie to ourselves...but you can teach yourself to do these things properly yourself as well.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I thought it over and did a little more research, and decided to do the measurements myself (or, actually, have my husband do it). I even found an app that does the calculations. Thanks!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Google BodPod and see if there is one in your area. It's a much bettter way to check bodyfat without spending big bucks. If you can't find one near you via Google, try calling a local University. Ours has one in their sports department and charges a small fee...about $25-$35.

I've seen the bodpod calculate up to 10% different than some of the 'manual' methods.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Google" body fat percentage pictures for women" and you can see a visual representation to compare to....probably as or more accurate than any other method and a lot less hassle/expense.