quarters

Options
So I've not been using MFP for a while. I did weight watchers, but lost motivation quickly. I just made the decision to jump back into watching my diet and exercise again about a week ago. My boss, who is a spine surgeon and triathlete, mentioned to a patient today that they should take the amount they normally eat and cut it into 4 equal portions. Immediately discard half. Then eat a quarter now, and save the other quarter to eat in 2 hours if you're legitimately hungry. Sounds so simple. Funny that this was my "Ah ha" moment!:tongue:

Replies

• Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Or just weigh stuff to the appropriate portiin size...but waste your money if you want.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So I've not been using MFP for a while. I did weight watchers, but lost motivation quickly. I just made the decision to jump back into watching my diet and exercise again about a week ago. My boss, who is a spine surgeon and triathlete, mentioned to a patient today that they should take the amount they normally eat and cut it into 4 equal portions. Immediately discard half. Then eat a quarter now, and save the other quarter to eat in 2 hours if you're legitimately hungry. Sounds so simple. Funny that this was my "Ah ha" moment!:tongue:
    so a spinal surgeon is a weightloss expert. Interesting I might ask the next dietician I meet to do a spinal fusion they'll know what they're doing won't they? The easier and accurate thing to do is set your goals via mfp and weigh your food. It's cheaper to as you don't throw good food away
  • nicsos
    nicsos Posts: 4
    Options
    I didn't mean to literally throw your food away. And thanks for being so negative, guys.
  • nicsos
    nicsos Posts: 4
    Options
    And no, he is not an expert on diet. However, it is important for our patients to be at a healthy prior to surgery. Also, some surgical frames have a weight limit. So, yeah, he has to know something about diet, exercise, and a healthy weight loss.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It's not the kind of advice that you can apply accross the board and pretty much assumes that you're eating about 4 times too much food. The main problem is that it could result in under eating for some people.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    And no, he is not an expert on diet. However, it is important for our patients to be at a healthy prior to surgery. Also, some surgical frames have a weight limit. So, yeah, he has to know something about diet, exercise, and a healthy weight loss.

So if I normally eat four ounces of broccoli with a meal, I should now eat half an ounce at dinner, and another half ounce later?
    See, it doesn't work for everything.

If he wanted to teach some good changes, he'd suggest a calorie deficit and weighing your portions.
    Echoing the above poster that his advice is too general and suggesting that people are overeating when they may not be, and may force some people to undereat.