can i have protein before working out?

Options
After working out i get exhausted just want to go t bed. plus im not hungry afterwards. is it ok to have my protein before working out?

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's just a listen to your body thing. If you can eat before you workout and feel fine that's great! Go for it. Everyone is different with that. Some people need to eat before working out and some need to eat after. You might want to give your stomach a little time to settle before you start your workout though so you don't end up feeling sick and throwing up.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    what mark said listen to your body.
    try it once if you seem okay go for it. myself if i eat a shake before workout my stomach tends to feel heavy and doesn't sit well . but every ones body is different
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    yes
  • mrtoying
    mrtoying Posts: 2
    Options
    it is ok to have protien before your workout, but after a hard workout your body needs carbs as all sugar levels are low, so id say eat, but if you are not hungry then have a banana still food. but you need to eat after gym 100%
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It all depends how you feel, you can consume it at any point throughout the day. If pre-workout protein makes you sluggish, then take it after, or take it two hours after or two hours before. Doesn't really matter. Just make sure you hit your protein goal by the end of the day and you're fine.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I eat my protein shake with almond milk post workout, tried before and my stomach got bloated lol
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat after my workout, as I'm usually not home until 9:30-10pm. I have a dinner 1-2 hrs before I go to the gym, and usually just a drink when I get home. I'll just adjust it according to my overall macro goals for the day but it's usually either an iced coffee or a protein shake of some kind.

Overall intake is much more important than timing around your workouts, but it can be beneficial to get some protein and carbs either intra or post workout for energy levels.

Check this out for more detailed info:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone. I like to eat about 1-2 hours before working out since I only have time at night before bed to train
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I find a quick mini-meal of low fat meat and cheese or maybe a protein drink or energy bar about an hour prior to a work out really helps me keep my energy level up versus working out on an empty stomach.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone. I like to eat about 1-2 hours before working out since I only have time at night before bed to train

Same here. Evenings 6-8 p.m. is about the only time I have due to my schedule so that mini-meal is my go-to plan before workouts.