How to beat Cravings/Addictions to certain foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I know this has probably been asked before, but what are some methods that you all use to stop yourself from eating cravings? I think my want of ice cream is really getting out of hand! I swear I eat like three to four cones a week. I need to make this stop. I would really appreciate guidance and alternatives. Other links would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    You work the food into your calorie goals.

I have ice cream just about every day. Tonight I'm having a chocolate ice cream bar for desert. It's all worked into my calories.

Think moderation, not deprivation. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Here's a general list of cravings and what to really eat to get rid of that craving :)
    This link is spam and advertising the paleo diet.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Also, when I crave Ice Cream or popsicles, I keep frozen fruit in the freezer. I keep at least 2 bags of Dole assorted banana, strawberries, and peaches, and 2 bags of Dole Mango chunks. With a little bit of nonfat whipped cream, it's DELICIOUS (though most of the time I just go without). 1 cup of the mango chunks is just 90 cals and 1 cup of the assorted is 80. :)
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Here's a general list of cravings and what to really eat to get rid of that craving :)

Oh my gosh X_X I'm so sorry. I clicked the link and it was fine earlier. I'll re-post the picture of the list. Thanks for letting me know.

Here's a HOPEFULLY not-spam link. The first one was from Pinterest and I guess it was just spam for the paleo diet.
    This one is from google and is a legitimate website...

http://myfocusedfitness.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/beat-food-cravings/
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Oh my gosh X_X I'm so sorry. I clicked the link and it was fine earlier. I'll re-post the picture of the list. Thanks for letting me know.

Here's a HOPEFULLY not-spam link. The first one was from Pinterest and I guess it was just spam for the paleo diet.

Fair enough, thank you. :smile:
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Fair enough, thank you. :smile:

Okay. Yeah. I just figured before that she meant to just look up Paleo diet alternatives. Thanks for the second link though and the warning from SLLRunner. :)
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    I know this has probably been asked before, but what are some methods that you all use to stop yourself from eating cravings? I think my want of ice cream is really getting out of hand! I swear I eat like three to four cones a week. I need to make this stop. I would really appreciate guidance and alternatives. Other links would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I have ice cream just about every day. Tonight I'm having a chocolate ice cream bar for desert. It's all worked into my calories.

Alright. If it's working for multiple people than it must be fine right? guess I'll stick to the icecream and interval with yogurt. Thanks a bunch everyone! :)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Alright. If it's working for multiple people than it must be fine right? guess I'll stick to the icecream and interval with yogurt. Thanks a bunch everyone! :)

If it works for you, great. If you find moderation doesn't work, instead of just giving up and resigning yourself to your fate, have the courage to try something else.
  • Bshaw2442
    Bshaw2442 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you want ice-cream then eat ice-cream. Work it into your calories limit for the day or week, earn the calories beforehand, eat at your maintenance calories level once in a while, or reduce your weekly weight loss rate in order to have more calories for snacks.

THIS!^

I do this and it works out wonderfully for me. I can still eat all of my favorite foods :) I am still losing weight and do not have to give up on the things I love!!
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Lately I work a PB&J sandwich into my daily calories as a bedtime snack, AND a cupcake after dinner. Almost every single day. I see no issue whatsoever with daily ice cream so long as you're also filling up on other, "healthy" things too :).

Hell, if ice cream dessert every day helps keep you on track, more power to you!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It's not ice cream, but I really like Edy's Outshine fruit bars. They come in a variety of flavors (grape is my favorite) and most come in at 100 calories or less. For me, it just fills that craving for a cold, sweet treat every now and then.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    Lately I work a PB&J sandwich into my daily calories as a bedtime snack, AND a cupcake after dinner. Almost every single day. I see no issue whatsoever with daily ice cream so long as you're also filling up on other, "healthy" things too :).

Hell, if ice cream dessert every day helps keep you on track, more power to you!

I hope. I am losing weight still so I guess that it's all working out... I just don't want to plateau because I had too much.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    It's not ice cream, but I really like Edy's Outshine fruit bars. They come in a variety of flavors (grape is my favorite) and most come in at 100 calories or less. For me, it just fills that craving for a cold, sweet treat every now and then.

They are okay for me, though I think ice-cream is still my go to for sweets thing.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with ice cream. I can eat it by the quart. I've found that coconut and almond milk varieties do not trigger the same "must eat ALL the ice cream" response. Lol

I also make "milk shakes" with a frozen banana, ice, cacao powder, almond milk, and protein powder. I add chocolate chips at the end after thorough blending. I have added frozen cherries too...really good. If you need it sweeter, add some honey or whatever sweetener you like.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Options
    I have the same problem with ice cream. I can eat it by the quart. I've found that coconut and almond milk varieties do not trigger the same "must eat ALL the ice cream" response. Lol

I also make "milk shakes" with a frozen banana, ice, cacao powder, almond milk, and protein powder. I add chocolate chips at the end after thorough blending. I have added frozen cherries too...really good. If you need it sweeter, add some honey or whatever sweetener you like.

Thanks. Guess I will try that.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If it works for you, great. If you find moderation doesn't work, instead of just giving up and resigning yourself to your fate, have the courage to try something else.

This. The "eat a serving daily" form of moderation didn't really work for me on some of my trigger foods. Thankfully, that's not the only way to practice "moderation." There is middle ground between "eat a little daily" and "never eat it again."

If you feel you're truly addicted to something -- as in, you find yourself thinking about it above other things or feeling driven to get some on a daily basis -- or even if it's just a habit you want to break, then the popular definition for moderation may not be for you (at least not right now).

In many cases, a period of abstinence from a trigger food is a very good thing. This forces you to break habits and form new ones. Even Moderation Management (an alternative to AA) recognizes abstinence not only as a viable option, but a necessary first step to breaking (potentially) destructive habits and dependencies.

Here's the idea:

1. Abstain for a month. In this case, don't eat ice cream for a month.
    2. During that time, find other things to do. In the case of food, don't go after "look alike" substitutes (ie - frozen yogurt, sorbet, etc). These substitutes perpetuate the habit and thereby misses the point of abstaining. Instead, forge new, healthy habits, such as eating fresh or frozen fruit when you need something sweet.
    3. After a month, try reintroducing ice cream. The goal, here, is to be able to reintroduce it without fearing loss of control. If you feel yourself wanting to binge, or slipping back into old habits, start back at step 1, repeat the cycle as necessary (you can also choose to abstain for longer if you feel the need to, in order to break the hold your trigger food has over you).

The goal is to break the connections that leave you feeling dependent on the item, and forge new, healthier connections, allowing you to consume it without feeling a great desire to go for more and more and more or to go after it more often than an occasional treat (with a frequency that you feel is healthy for you). Some people find that abstaining either entirely or nearly so (ie - reserving it for a once or twice a year treat) is far more sustainable than practicing the common form of "moderation," and that's okay, too. The point, though, is to remove the power the trigger item has over you.

And yes, there's scientific backing for this period of abstinence. It's called "extinction training." It's a form of training in which something that previously reinforced a trained response (in the most simple case, Pavlov's dogs' salivating at the sound of a bell) is removed, the behavior eventually stops (the treat came less and less frequently at the sound of the bell, until eventually the sound of the bell no longer triggered the dogs to salivate). It's the same concept here.

Another option you can do (and you can do this after the above, or instead of it) is to look at the ingredient lists and go for the highest quality items. Cream, milk, eggs, sugar, flavoring. In my experience, they tend to be far more satisfying than the cheap stuff, and aren't filled with crap fillers that don't really do anything for your body (and, in my opinion, aren't all that satisfying). With the high-quality stuff, though, you get more nutritive ingredients in that it's not just a bowl full of fat and sugar (the milk and eggs have a number of micronutrients that contribute to your total daily values, as does the flavoring depending on the kind). The higher price can also help you limit the amount you buy and eat, so the $5 half gallon of good ice cream could last you as long as the $5 2-gallon bucket of cheap stuff, because you don't "need" as much to feel satisfied.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Things that I know I can't just have one serving of (ice cream, oreos, chocolate, etc.) I've just stopped buying. In place of ice cream, I might buy popsicles (luna pops cookies and cream is amazing!) and stock up on fresh fruits. when i have a fridge full of healthy groceries that i paid for, i'd feel bad if they just spoiled while i ate junk so that keeps me motivated.

ETA: I just read the above about "extinction training" and it sounds legit to me. i for sure crave certain foods less after not really having them around.