5´2 women, weightloss success?

Options
catmurray2
catmurray2 Posts: 34 Member
Hey all!! I was wondering if there are any women out there around 5´2 who have lost around 30 pounds succesfully. I was wondering how you did it and if you hit any plateaus? I am currently down from 170 to 148 which I am very happy, still heading for my overal goal of 135. Any advice on losing the remaining weight?

Replies

• nspink22
    nspink22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what others have to say, as well! I am 5'2" and currently 146. I was 128 two summers ago and am looking to get back down to that but things have not been progressing as well as I'd like.
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 , us to be closer to 5'2 but think with age I am shrinking, wish I would shrink in other ways.lol
    I want to loose 15 lbs ..I am currently at 128 but am my best around 110-115
    but it is so hard as you get older and I dont live near a gym currently so walk outside and am doing kettlebell swings and other kettlebell excercizes, gonna start some weight training with dumbells also , looking into online Utbube videos on women who lift.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and down 43 lbs. Goal weight of 130, but may adjust higher or lower once I get closer. I still have a ways to go, but I haven't hit any plateaus. No advice on remaining pounds aide from keep going as I'm not there yet
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    theamazingcassiebunny Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have lost about 35 pounds from my highest weight. I lost in fits and starts though. Down from 145-ish to 118 on Weight Watchers and using an elliptical trainer years and years ago. Put about ten pounds back on, but maintained there doing P90X, then P90X2, Insanity, T25...got down to 106 with a second try of WW. Long story short, that wasn't working for me anymore and my weight started to creep back up.

Since joining MFP last month, I'm down to around 109. I'm eating 1350 calories (plus exercise calories), doing P90X3, and hiking or walking on rest days. The last few pounds are always the hardest. I haven't hit any real plateaus this time, but the first time I lost weight I hit a ton of them after the first few weeks. If you don't already, I'd suggest you start some kind of strength program. Change up your exercise. Most of all, don't get frustrated and let things slide if you get stuck. You can do this!

Sorry to be so wordy. Hope this helps at least a bit. We shorties have to stick together! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    5'2

<
    See photos. :smile:
  • MimiMedrano
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and currently 143; down 38# so far. I've set my goal at 133. My focus has always been on cardio but I've added weights the last two months. I have 2# weights, 5# weights and resistance bands all through my house and grab them and do what I can when I can. Still doing an hour of cardio a day as well. Hoping this, combined with staying in my calorie range, helps get "the final 10" off!!! Looking forward to the feedback on this one!!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    The smaller you are, the less calories your body burns to function. The less you get to eat!

I am 5'1.5" and I have to be 100% accurate in my logging to lose weight (I have fluctuated between 108-128 in my adult life). This is because my BMR is 1310, so to lose a pound a week I would have to net (including exercise calories) 810 a day which is virtually impossible. So, my goal is 0.5 a week (1060 cals a day) which is also almost impossible. What I'm trying to say is that the weight loss will be very, very slow.

So, what to do instead of starving myself and doing cardio?

I would recommend everyone our height start lifting weights- now! Burn more calories while at rest. You may weigh the same but you will be physically smaller than you were before. HEAVY weights- Work up (slowly) to squatting and deadlifting at least your body weight. I am currently at 120lbs and have never looked better ("toned", thinner) or felt stronger in my entire life.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The smaller you are, the less calories your body burns to function. The less you get to eat!

I am 5'1.5" and I have to be 100% accurate in my logging to lose weight (I have fluctuated between 108-128 in my adult life). This is because my BMR is 1310, so to lose a pound a week I would have to net (including exercise calories) 810 a day which is virtually impossible. So, my goal is 0.5 a week (1060 cals a day) which is also almost impossible. What I'm trying to say is that the weight loss will be very, very slow.

I would recommend everyone our height start lifting weights- now! Burn more calories while at rest. You may weigh the same but you will be physically smaller than you were before. HEAVY weights- Work up (slowly) to squatting and deadlifting at least your body weight. I am currently at 120lbs and have never looked better ("toned", thinner) or felt stronger in my entire life.

what program did you use to get started? I was looking into "New rules of weight lifting for women" but wasn't totally hooked.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

what program did you use to get started? I was looking into "New rules of weight lifting for women" but wasn't totally hooked.

If you have zero experience it wouldn't be bad to get into a class at the gym (Bodypump, etc) to learn the basic movements and get comfortable.

Personally Stronglifts 5x5 has been my favorite. Quick, simple & powerrful.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 but only in my first week - hope to be writing here soon enough with some success though!

Just wanted to jump in to say - remember BMR is the absolute bare minimum that your body would need to stay alive and maintain weight if you were basically in a coma. Your TDEE is what you should focus on - and this is the number you should take calories away from to lose. If you want to know how much you really burn in a day (the diff between desk job to lightly active etc) I can recommend the fitbit flex. It's really accurate.

This is the calculator most people on here seem to use and from everyone's experience it seems pretty accurate: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

:smile:
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" & have lost 88lbs so far. Another 12 or so to go. :)

25d58cfb-4738-4189-ad90-724d144488a1_zpsc8800445.jpg

I don't really have any advice on how to lose the rest. Just keep at it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

+1
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey all!! I was wondering if there are any women out there around 5´2 who have lost around 30 pounds succesfully. I was wondering how you did it and if you hit any plateaus? I am currently down from 170 to 148 which I am very happy, still heading for my overal goal of 135. Any advice on losing the remaining weight?

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. You are doing GREAT!
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am 5.1 when i started i was in the 140s now i am any where between 123-130. I do not want to loose much more weight. I like where I am at! I am in the best shape of my life. At least so far. I like to change it up. I get bored of the same weight lifting. I still love to lift. I would really recommend lifting. It has gotten me the best results. I also love to try out different programs. I decided to stop lifting and try T25 only 25 min of hell a day! I Love the results its given me. Its sculpting my body just like if I was lifting on a daily routine. I love being short but I gain weight fast. So I have had to make being fit and healthy my lifestyle. I do not regret it one bit! Keep up the good work ladies!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!