No Idea How Many Calories to Eat...

Options
dustsettles
dustsettles Posts: 27 Member
Hi everyone. I've been on MFP a little less than 1 month so far. I started at 1,200 calories a day and soon felt very tired and not like my normal self.

Then I heard about the BMR calculation. According to that I should be eating at least 1,550 calories a day. I'm 5'5 and currently weigh 142. I would like to lose anywhere from 10-20 lbs. But more than a number I'd like to feel strong and fit and confident!

I'm having trouble knowing what goals to set for myself as MFP wants me to only eat about 1450 a day. Of course I'm just a girl who wants to lose weight and look cute during the summertime! Any new friends and advice welcome! :smile:

Replies

• Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It´s not just about the calories ;) But as I saw on your profile, you want to make a lifestyle change.
    So you´re an on the right way.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The amount MFP tells you to eat is based on the information you feed into it, height, weight, gender, activity level, and how much you want to lose each week.

At this point the only things you can change are your level of activity and how fast you want to lose the weight. My advice would be to take it slow to begin with, set the deficit at 1lb per week and keep it there for the first few weeks. Once you stop losing weight at that level drop you intake by about 10% (or increase your activity level by this much - but not both at the same time).

Resist the urge to create a deficit that is too large, as you have noticed it can have effects on your mental state, energy levels and ultimately on your health. Take a controlled approach - LOG EVERYTHING, and reassess your caloric needs once a month - no more frequent than that as a woman due to fluctuations in water retention that can mess with the scale numbers.
  • dustsettles
    dustsettles Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Those posts are just what I needed! Such good and helpful info! Don't want to be a 1200 slug… want to get FIT! :D