can I still gain muscle at the age of 38

Options
I was wondering can I still gain muscle mass when I turned 38 ? or should I just give up?

Replies

• bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    yes
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    yes
    Seriously? You're not 80 years old. Lord, as if 38 was retirement age! You can gain muscle at ANY age
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yes do you even lift though brah? I'm 41, come at me.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    ummm.... yes
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Hell, so I´ve a few month to get a body like yours. RESPECT!
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm 38, have a black belt in kung fu, and can beat my teenage student athletes in a sprinting race up 11 flights of stairs. Also, I'm a woman, had a baby a year and a half ago, and am in the best goddamn shape of my life, with muscles like you wouldn't believe. Age is no excuse. It does get harder as you get older, but if you're willing to work you can achieve whatever you want.

Also, if you start now, you'll be healthier and in better shape as you age. By the time you're old and decrepit, it's too late.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options

repped
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Not like when you were in your 20's, but if you're intense in your workouts and feed your body right, you should still be able to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and female and I can... you're 38 and male so you should find it easier than me.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Age has little bearing on building muscle it comes down to your own God given genetics.
  • Robianand
    Robianand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely – Lifting is only 25% of the work, the rest happens in the kitchen. I went from 24% body fat to 10% in two years. Lean muscle mass can and should be the goal of anybody serious about health and well being. Never give up on what you want!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No. Life is over at 38 and you should take up some more suitable activity for an old person like darts or poker.

(Says this 54 year old almost back to his lifetime best for some lifts.)
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make GAINZ 'till my dying day bro!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    No. Life is over at 38 and you should take up some more suitable activity for an old person like darts or poker.

Steady. You can put your back out throwing darts. Remember to warm up before playing darts if you're over 35.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    In because I'm 40
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Age has little bearing on building muscle it comes down to your own God given genetics.

Ehhhh I'd say age has quite a bit to do with building muscle but that said, you can def still build muscle at age 38.
  • FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    41 and you talk like that?
  • FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    There's no limit to when you can gain muscle, just push yourself in the gym and fix up your nutritional lifestyle
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and female and I can... you're 38 and male so you should find it easier than me.

+1