I'm a newb and I've got questions

Options
I have a bunch of questions that may come as stupid, but I am genuinely clueless about their answers and I've been looking for them for a long time.

I'll soon get my first paycheck which means I can start getting serious about changing my body. I am quite skinny and I want it to stay that way.

So basically, I am getting a gym membership and a bunch of aerial yoga classes. That's settled.

But here's what I am wondering. I want to get stronger, which would mean to lift heavier weights, but I don't want to get bigger muscles, just definition - a lot of it.

For that, do you simply need to have a caloric deficit or is there some other things to do with your diet?

Should I get protein powder - or any supplement for that matter?

What food ratios should I use?

What kind of workout should I do?

Also, what kind of workout can SMALLEN your hips&bum? (You read that correctly. They're three sizes bigger than the rest of my body...)

Thanks to anyone who does answer to my question. They're really important to me :)

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Its hard for women to create the muscle gain you're referring to - very hard! It takes a hella lot of work.

Protein supps are only really helpful if you are unable to get protein through actual food into your diet.

Have a look at something like NROLFW or Stronglifts 5x5 for starting pointers.

No exercise can spot reduce unfortunately.

*Someone more clued up can probably help you out more.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Dismiss the myth that women bulk up. Women have to eat a boat load of food, swallow a boat load of steroids, and out eat men like Arnold Schwarzenegger in order to bulk up.

You will need to eat at a calorie surplus because the muscle need lots of food/energy and life heavy. As stated above, check into Starting Strength, NROLFW or Stronglifts 5x5. Also, check out the "Groups" section above because there are groups for women weight lifters on this site.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    ^"swallow steroids"

lol...

youre not srs right?
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If you wanne tone up, you have to gain muscles. Therefor you have to upper protein intake (1.5-2g/ kg bodyweight)and lift something (that could be your body...so Yoga is a way)

And this: No exercise can spot reduce
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight but get tone at the same time, stick to the ratio that MFP set up for you. Don't need to buy extra protein shakes or supplement to become tone if focus on high reps with moderate weight. Interval training for cardio will help to burn the fat to help display the muscle underneath.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up unless you're majorly overeating and taking supplements. You may lose more slowly at first or gain a couple of pounds if you lift often enough (I did when I was lifting 3x a week), but it'll be in muscle and it'll really only be visible in that you'll be more toned. Try to get enough protein, but you shouldn't need supplements for that, you can get plenty from food sources (meat mostly, but greek yogurt is another helpful food for that) or shakes (if you're really low on protein with your diet).
  • fitjourneyeg
    Options
    Dismiss the myth that women bulk up. Women have to eat a boat load of food, swallow a boat load of steroids, and out eat men like Arnold Schwarzenegger in order to bulk up.

I know about the bulking. I know about that stuff. Thing is, I have measurements to respect which means I can't get, for example, relatively big quads.
    Its hard for women to create the muscle gain you're referring to - very hard! It takes a hella lot of work.

Protein supps are only really helpful if you are unable to get protein through actual food into your diet.

Have a look at something like NROLFW or Stronglifts 5x5 for starting pointers.

No exercise can spot reduce unfortunately.

*Someone more clued up can probably help you out more.
    I am not afraid of working hard - actually, that's the only way I do stuff. I know what I want and I'll do anything to have it. I'll check out those workouts, thank you!

I don't believe in spot reducing either as I am aware that it doesn't work/exist. What I was asking is if you knew of exercises that would smaller the hips/bum instead of making them bigger like weighted squats and such.

I know all about exercises that build muscles and makes that part bigger, but not smaller!
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You say you know you can't spot reduce then in the exact same comment ask how to again. THERE ARE NO EXERCISES TO MAKE YOUR BUM SMALLER. Only weight loss will do that.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight but get tone at the same time, stick to the ratio that MFP set up for you. Don't need to buy extra protein shakes or supplement to become tone if focus on high reps with moderate weight. Interval training for cardio will help to burn the fat to help display the muscle underneath.

Nope on the high reps w/ moderate rate. You need to do the opposite.

Follow a program like NROLFW or Stronglifts.

It's about quality NOT quantity.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats made my butt smaller. I went from a size 10 to a 4.
  • fitjourneyeg
    Options
    You say you know you can't spot reduce then in the exact same comment ask how to again. THERE ARE NO EXERCISES TO MAKE YOUR BUM SMALLER. Only weight loss will do that.

Dear, I'm a size 0 with a size 3 butt/hips. Please tell me again how I should lose weight. If I do, I'll get unhealthy.

I just want to know EXERCISES that I could do that wouldn't make my butt bigger. It's not spot reducing, it's just looking for exercises. Please read properly.

Nope on the high reps w/ moderate rate. You need to do the opposite.

Follow a program like NROLFW or Stronglifts.

It's about quality NOT quantity.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I've read that somewhere. I'll check out those programs, thank you! :)
  • Branstin
    Options
    ^"swallow steroids"

lol...

youre not srs right?

I know the manner in which steriods are taken, orally or injected. However, this is beside the point. The Op needs the correct information for lifting weights as a woman in order to remove her fears of looking like a man.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Dear, I'm a size 0 with a size 3 butt/hips. Please tell me again how I should lose weight. If I do, I'll get unhealthy.

I just want to know EXERCISES that I could do that wouldn't make my butt bigger. It's not spot reducing, it's just looking for exercises. Please read properly.

Lol you're awfully defensive for someone who came on here and got their questions answered. You're the one who said you wanted to make your bum smaller because it's "3 sizes bigger than the rest of you". Someone told you you could not spot reduce. Then you got all snarky with someone and told them to read properly and said you don't want to do any exercises that are "going to make your bum bigger".

Maybe you need to read properly. And try comprehending while you're at it.
  • Branstin
    Options

I know about the bulking. I know about that stuff. Thing is, I have measurements to respect which means I can't get, for example, relatively big quads.

ot afraid of working hard - actually, that's the only way I do stuff. I know what I want and I'll do anything to have it. I'll check out those workouts, thank you!

I don't believe in spot reducing either as I am aware that it doesn't work/exist. What I was asking is if you knew of exercises that would smaller the hips/bum instead of making them bigger like weighted squats and such.

I know all about exercises that build muscles and makes that part bigger, but not smaller!

Your best option is to team up with a trainer at the gym to help you create a plan best suited to meet your goals.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    OP the leaner your body gets & the more you cut from fat and increase muscle will give you the type of reduction you mean.

Muscle v fat will weigh exactly the same - but overall muscle is more 'compact' so takes up less room. That's what will 'thin' down your thighs. Don't be afraid of the weights.

Generically we are all proportional one way or another. I'm a pear shape my thighs/bum are always the last areas to shrink. Measurements wise you may notice an initial increase due to water retention/glycol from a new exercise regime. This will however pass.

However you can use some exercise to enhance the look of being lean. For some folk that comes through running, swimming, Pilates. Some people have dropped inches through 30DS for instance. Bottom line its about how your individual body responds - no one can give you a 'eureka!' answer.

Regardless whatever you choose to do you will not get 'bigger' per say. Have a look at pics of ladies who've done bulks for gains. They are working damn hard to get those results it won't just happen by accident.

*Resistance training/weight training is the key to body recomp combined with diet. Cardio will just result in a smaller version of the current you. You could also try body weight exercises if you're reluctant to hit the weights.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options

Lol you're awfully defensive for someone who came on here and got their questions answered. You're the one who said you wanted to make your bum smaller because it's "3 sizes bigger than the rest of you". Someone told you you could not spot reduce. Then you got all snarky with someone and told them to read properly and said you don't want to do any exercises that are "going to make your bum bigger".

Maybe you need to read properly. And try comprehending while you're at it.

Agreed. OP...so what is your question? You seem to have all of the answers already. I don't think "newb" is the right term for this thread.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Newb? Yeah, no kidding with these questions. You say you don't want to/know that you cant spot reduce, yet at the same time it sounds like you want to spot reduce.
    Size 0? Your description of yourself sounds like you are skinny fat. What you need to do are weighted squats and deadlifts. Those will reduce your size while at the same time firming/shaping your problem areas.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh, an attitude adjustment and listening/reading to adults advice (already provided in this thread) may also make your butt smaller. Q.E.D.