Weight gain after exercise?

Options
Hi everyone

I started a strength training program on the weekend and since then my weight has gone up two pounds. I've stayed within my calorie allowance, and I know that I cannot have built any muscle in this short period of time. My muscles have been pretty sore - so I thought that maybe the extra weight could be due to water retention around my muscles while they repair themselves. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• njripley
    Options
    Don't worry about weight gain if you are exercising. I started 1 month ago and although I have only lost 1kg (which I havnt even logged as one day I have one day I havnt) I have lost 2" overbust, 2" underbust, 2" from waist and 1.5" from my hips.

Please measure yourself, it is a better guide to what is happening with your body when exercising and it is much more encouraging.

Good Luck
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Please measure yourself, it is a better guide to what is happening with your body when exercising and it is much more encouraging.

This has happened to me before too - I used to be on a "health kick" and go to the gym 3 times a week, and after 2 weeks saw I'd gained 1lb and thought well I won't bother with this! The increase in weight could be muscle or water, and muscle is good because it takes up less space than fat, and water you know you'll shift =)

Keep going, and definitely get some measurements as njripley suggested - it'll be amazing to see how much you change after a month of going!
  • euca
    euca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I'm not instantly discouraged by this because I know that it can't be 2 pounds of fat (and it's highly doubtful that it's 2 pounds of muscle at this stage - I've literally only done 2 workouts). I think the most likely culprit is water retention but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!
  • lk227
    lk227 Posts: 28
    Options
    Don't worry about the numbers on the scale at the moment. I've read that it is normal for that to happen when starting any type of strenght training. Your body is just adjusting.
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I would work my abs my stomach always felt larger for some reason.

I would say just stick with it and invest in a ruler.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water. Whenever someone starts a new program, DOMS sets in. This is mostly recognized by muscle soreness, but when the body is stressed and wants to heal and repair damaged muscles, it retains water and sends fluids to the areas where it is needed. This normally goes away in 2 weeks or less.