Lordosis and abs exercises

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,837 Member
Hello,

I'm currently doing bodyrock.tv and a few other things I find online. My abs are pretty much the weakest muscles I have while I see some improvements elsewhere. Any advise for doing abs workouts with a lordosis (pelvis not tilted forward, hip muscles flexible)? My lower back doesn't touch the floor and the upper back cannot bend forward. Thus I'm lacking pressure from the floor as support and the ability to really roll the upper body upwards. Basically, I'm trying to lift up a stiff plank that has no support from the floor below when trying to do crunches or the likes. On the other hand just doing leg lifts is a bit boring...

Replies

• Could you do crunches etc on a fitball? While I don't have the same issue with my back as you, my butt is quite prominent and sometimes makes it difficult for my lower back to be flat on the floor - a fitball definitely helps!
  • yirara
    Oh yes, and a prominent, but muscular butt added to the mix ;) Hmm. that's something to think about. I do have a fitball (I assume you mean a big blowup ball) but haven't used it yet. I'll check out today's workout (a br.tv challenge from the archives) again and see how I can adjust it accordingly.

I'm also trying to stretch my lower back (very strong), but haven't really found the right exercise yet that really hits the area. All hip muscles exercises do nothing as those muscles are flexible already. And a cat's back doesn't work thanks to my stiff upper back. Btw, I don't have an aching back and never had. That's something at least :)
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Check out "Convict Conditioning". It gives variations of the basic exercises that might work better for you.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Oh yes, and a prominent, but muscular butt added to the mix ;) Hmm. that's something to think about. I do have a fitball (I assume you mean a big blowup ball) but haven't used it yet. I'll check out today's workout (a br.tv challenge from the archives) again and see how I can adjust it accordingly.

I'm also trying to stretch my lower back (very strong), but haven't really found the right exercise yet that really hits the area. All hip muscles exercises do nothing as those muscles are flexible already. And a cat's back doesn't work thanks to my stiff upper back. Btw, I don't have an aching back and never had. That's something at least :)

Can you ditch crunches/situps? There are far better exercises you can do at home for your core.

Are you ok with planks? V-holds? L-sits? Russian twist? Rollouts?

For back exercises at home and a good stretch you can try theses below. Some also target hams and glutes which help with lower back.

*Superman's
    *Cat and camel
    *Good mornings
    *child pose
    *Knee to chest
    *Bridge

Hope theses can help OP
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot Steve.
    Planks: getting there
    V-holds, L-sits: no
    Russian twists: with a heavy weight only
    Rollouts: kind of. I might try that with the gymball as I don't have a roller thingy
    V-tucks: one set, then it gets ugly
    Basically my abs are close to useless :(

Thanks also for the stretching exercises. Now they do have a name :) I'm mostly doing them already, though they hardly hit the lower back. Either my back is too tight or I'm too flexible.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    You have have hyper-lordosis? Honestly, I would go to a physical therapist to help get you going there, but otherwise...

- Mobility drills: Checkout Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 or Agile 8. Either are great for all-around mobility and some of the myofacial release and stretches will definitely be helpful for you. No reason to reinvent the wheel here. Do this daily.

Definitely strengthen your Core.
    - Static holds in the form of front-planks and side-planks for your abs and obliques
    - Back Raises to help strengthen your lower back, hips, glutes, & hammies (I know not all are a "Core" muscle)
    - Glute / Hip Thrusts: Hips & Glutes
    - Palloff Presses... another way to strengthen your abs and obliques
    - Cable Chops & Cable lifts

Rollouts are great ab exercises but I would be concerned about the pressure it can place on your back. Again, a PT would be my first choice for you but if not, I would stay away from Ab wheels are other ways of doing rollouts until you strengthen your Core.
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot Sam,

great list of workouts! I'll certainly add them to my routine. I tried rollouts before during a boot camp outside the office (it's too hot now and they stopped) and had no problems. Got really aching muscles from that :) Btw, the fitball is really great!
  • yirara
    Quick update: there's certainly some improvement in ab-strength and even in flexibility! If I really want to I can do situps now with holding a weight above my head - I kind of pull myself up on it. Yes, I know: I'm holding the weight, but it still works. I wonder if I've gotten taller again as well. Last two times I was measured at a doctor I was 1cm taller each ;) Probably because my spine wasn't quite so bendy anymore.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Quick update: there's certainly some improvement in ab-strength and even in flexibility! If I really want to I can do situps now with holding a weight above my head - I kind of pull myself up on it. Yes, I know: I'm holding the weight, but it still works. I wonder if I've gotten taller again as well. Last two times I was measured at a doctor I was 1cm taller each ;) Probably because my spine wasn't quite so bendy anymore.

That's really great news! Perhaps your spine is decompressing, which is why you've gained a cm. Either way, glad to hear it; keep up the great work.