iron and calcium intake...

Options
I've only been using MFP for a few days to chart my food intake and exercise (it's brilliant!) and ran some reports last night on my iron and calcium intake.

I was really worried to see that they were way lower than they ought to be (like 5% or less of RDA). I had a baby 10.5 months ago so really need to make sure I get enough iron and calcium - in particular, I was seriously anaemic after the birth.

What could I be eating to quickly boost these without going over my calories for the day?

Thanks x

Replies

• semiquaver
    Options
    I noticed this about me too.

I have looked at wikipedia on iron rich foods and red meat, liver and some veggies are good. but i am trying to kep away from red meat during my diet.

Suppliments could be an answer but i don't know about you but i am reluctant to use chemicals.

We have booked a table this weekend at our favourite seafood restaurant and intend to eat a plate of oysters, they are high too.
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat more veg especially brocolli, and drink milk.

Most of the foods on this site probably have incorrect vitamin/mineral values anyway, because in the UK (i'm not sure about the US and other countries) these arn't always displayed on the packaging of foods and since most of the foods are added by the community this would cause problems when entering the food nutrition to the site. So there may be nothing to worry about.
  • semiquaver
    Options
    Yes that is a good point.

jsip...check your vitamin A....i bet that is low as well.

Maybe we should add these missing dietry information to the food we eat on a regular basis. I presume MFP will update the database.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    remember that intake of calcium restricts the uptake of iron into the system. So if you take a supplement do it with Vitamin C type food or drink. But Vitamin C or certain types of citrus can also affect the uptake of other medications for cholesterol and blood pressure.

Also most high fiber cereals are loaded with iron, but the bad thing is you eat cereal with milk. So I guess it is just a balance.
  • jslp
    jslp Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys. That's a really good point about the nutritional info being missing - I also remembered that I've just added calories where I couldn't find foods in the database so I bet that makes a difference too!

In the meantime I have some broccoli for later :smile: