What Keeps You Motivated?

Options
So, I have an easy time imagining my end goals. I want to be 130 pounds, about a size 6/8 (US size) and I want to live the most healthy active lifestyle that I ever have. I want to look better and feel better. This is all great and very motivating, but sometimes it just seems so far away.

What do you guys do to keep yourself motivated. I try to keep (bi)weekly rewards but I'm just at a loss to think of things. My first reward was that I'd get to buy myself a bathing sit for a vacation i'm taking in July if I kept up all week with my diet, and this week, i didn't have a goal/reward. I just think its nice to have something small for myself and I'm wondering what you all do?

Replies

• redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I want to be around 140lbs to 145lbs. I am currently 165 lbs a few years ago I weighed 350lbs. Trust me at times myself I ask am I ever going to get there. I am almost there. I look at my before pictures and that motivates me not to go back. I strive for little goals at a time. I have a wonderful b/f that is also into fitness which is one of my motivators, and also great support system which include my family and friends. My reward is usually one cheat meal and I will buy myself something for the gym which always keeps me motivated. Keep on going trust me you are one step closer then you were yesterday.

Nadia
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I took a beginning picture, and take pics in the same clothes about every two weeks. I put them side by side and see how far I have already come. I look at those pictures almost daily :smile:

I NEVER want to look like that beginning picture again!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I, too, have small goals that help keep me motivated. I think it's important to celebrate those little victories and set ourselves up with some confidence for the next goal.

I am trying not to be scale oriented in my goals. I am trying to think of my goals in terms of how much weight i am lifting and achieving my next personal best. My weight and size will follow if i keep pushing at the gym.

Today a skirt that usually fits very tight (and requires a safety pin to close) fits a little loose...loose enough to spin around me as I walk. That's an NSV that has put a smile on my face each time i've had to adjust it!
  • FitterinaBallerina
    FitterinaBallerina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a pinterest board with inspirational and motivational people. I'm a ballerina so it's mainly of my ballet idols. Anytime I feel like being 'bad' I look at it and it helps. I also keep an accountability jar. I drop a marble in it everytime I'm 'in the green.' at the end of the month I count how many marbles are in my jar compared to how many days are in the month. If I do really well, I'll buy myself a new leotard for class :D
  • afertitta1718
    Options
    its hard to say. I have lost 110. I am past my original goal. I am thinking I may try to lose 10 more. I feel so much better with the exercise and weight lose I hope I never put that in jeopardy. motivation. I was resolute. I had a lot of encouragement from a lot of people. It really helped me. you can do it. good luck AF
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have a closet full of size small and medium LOFT tops at home I've never been able to wear, as well as several pair of jeans. I've promised myself that when I'm close to my goal I'll get a spiral perm.

Sometimes watching movies or TV shows with prettier women in them helps too, such as Nicole Kidman or even the third season of Ice Road Truckers, that features the female ice road trucker Lisa Kelly.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Looking through success stories... The 'goal' outfit I have hanging on the back of my closet door... Seeing my success so far (funny how seeing the scale move can be a motivator to keep it moving)... My competitive nature, though I'm only competing with myself... A new book every 10 pounds!... My husband cheering me on... All the naysayers telling me that I can't do it and the desire to prove them wrong (after twice proving them right).

I have many sources, and they all keep me going. :)
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't really do rewards. To each their own, but I've always taken care of myself and treated myself no matter what I weighed. I know positive reiforcement does work for others though...I just stay motivated because of the long line of heart disease in my family...and as I get older I can see how much more difficult it is if I don't exercise or put the right foods into my body. Some people it takes me (when I was in my 20's and lost it the first time it just fell off, now that I'm in my 30's I have to keep a close eye on every little morsel b/c it's that much more difficult with changing hormones...I can't imagine how much more it'll be in my 40's and so on).
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I set up goals. I don't necessarily reward myself for achieving each of the goals, but I do take note of it and am pleased by my improvement. I keep statistics so that I can look back and see the improvement. And I do look back and use it to motivate myself to keep going.

I'm aiming for
    1) better weight -- not necessarily lower at this point
    2) faster times when I run
    3) longer distance to run
    4) stronger -- and this has its own statistics

I keep track of how long it takes me to go up 5 flights of steps (the number of flights in the building where I work) and many other things.

Even when one thing is in a plateau or even getting worse, something else is improving, so I just keep track so that I can see the improvements.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Although my real motivation is getting healthier and fitter, I need more concrete goals to motivate me. Those goals tend to wrap around events in my life.

1. Vacation in July (tropical location = swimsuit and I know there will be a lot of pictures taken)
    2. High school reunion in November (I would like to be back to (or close to) my high school weight by then ~40lbs from here)
    3. Weigh less than my husband. I'll be close when I do hit my high school weight.

Those three will take me a while. After that I'll reassess. I find that without these "event" type goals, I lose my motivation. There's always another event coming up. Perhaps I can start substituting 5ks for my events in the future...
  • Gamerchick00
    Gamerchick00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm very, very new here, but what finally made me start my engines at 39 and decide not to be complacent about my weight anymore was realizing that I am ashamed and afraid to go anywhere or do anything beyond a short distance from the house because someone might see me and mock me or glare at me in disgust, or because I won't 'fit'. I won't fit in roller coaster seats. (I've been asked to get out of a coaster car in the past). I won't fit in a plane seat belt, so I'll have to ask for a seat belt extender. Happens every time. The person next to me will make faces of annoyance and disgust at knowing they have to sit next to me. I'll be ashamed to eat anything other than a salad in public because of the looks. I just don't want to go anywhere.

So, when I went to my doctor, and he said, "You know, everything looks good, but we just have to get this weight off of you." He said it in such a matter-of-fact way that it made it sound for the first time to me like someone else actually thought that was possible. I seem to have had a mindset for a long time that nothing was ever going to work for me. He didn't shame me. He just told me how. He said, "Myfitnesspal."

It started me thinking of everything I could do, want to do, and plan to do that can actually happen when you're not afraid to leave your house because of your body.
  • mgpearce4
    mgpearce4 Posts: 71
    Options
    I have several motivators because I truly struggle.

-A size smaller wardrobe gifted to me by a friend who lost 80 pounds! She had some beautiful stuff.
    -New workout clothes
    -My fiance
    -Having a friend who lost 80 pounds ha
    -Knowing that all I'm doing NOW will show LATER!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I spent my whole adult life and most of my teenage years obese, and it wasn't fun. I hated being fat, and now that I'm slim, I like it. It's worth the effort. I feel more confident, I get to shop in regular clothes shops, I get to wear clothes that actually suit me and not just go with what will fit.

Both my parents and other members of my family suffer with lifestyle-related health problems (including type 2 diabetes and cv problems). Looking at them, there is no way I want to go through that. I have also worked with a lot of elderly people in varying degrees of health, and I can see how important it is to keep fit and healthy. There's a massive difference in quality of life between those who are active, lean(er), eat well etc and those who have never really taken care of themselves. I kind of got away with being overweight in terms of my health but there's no question it would have caught up with me soon.

Now that I am a healthy weight and more active, I can appreciate loads of benefits that I didn't even anticipate, such as being able (and willing) to go for a random hike or bike ride at someone else's suggestion, or run in a race, or being able to lift/carry heavy things up and down stairs without being wiped out for the whole day.

This is a lifelong process that doesn't end when you hit your goal, and at the same time, you don't have to wait to hit your goal to reap the rewards. It's not just about getting the weight off. For example, being more active plays a huge part for me in managing depression and anxiety. Running really helps keep my moods stable and helps me cope with stuff.

Being in control of my food intake is massive too. Learning to eat food you enjoy in moderation is so useful, and actually pretty empowering. Learning to cope with emotions without overeating, learning to experience and appreciate hunger/appetite, learning to slow down and really savour the food you eat... I've never had the best relationship with food and, although I still struggle with this, improving that relationship has been worth it even if I had never actually lost the weight.

So, if I go "off track" a bit or out of my normal routine, it's totally worth it to get back on track. Not as a means of desperately eliminating any weight gain, but because the way I live my life now, and eat, and move, makes me feel good. I'm slim, and fit, and strong, and (more) energetic, and I've learned that I'm capable of amazing things. I feel more of a participant in life. Why would I not want to keep that going?

[And I'm not trying to suggest for a second that it's easy: I am someone who struggles a lot with maintaining my weight loss. It's not always easy, but it is always worth it to never give up.]
  • sara17sb
    sara17sb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Success motivates me! My weekly losses and overcoming the daily challenges. I also think of all the ways I going to feel healthier and more confident when I'm in shape..not to mention the negative side of being overweight. I no longer want to feel so self conscious, I don't enjoy shopping and don't have the fitness I had before all this weight. Keeping those pros and xons in my mind helps me remember why I'm doing this
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    The snack food industry is never going to own me again. It's not very dignified to live life as Ben and Jerry's blimp gimp.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm not into rewards or particularly goals either, but right now, three things motivate me to keep going.

1. I was at a work conference this week and so many people commented on how good I looked, and how happy they were for me, that I would feel that I'd let down this bunch of 100 people if I didn't keep at it, and keep it off forever.
    2. Getting through through dress sizes is like a drug
    3. I want to buy myself a nice winter coat that covers my butt and thighs this year. Last winter my legs were so cold, and I'm too cheap to go and buy one size and then have to scramble to find another size within the next 5 years.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER !

My life has changed for the better & I won't go backwards ........ back then I felt awful, looked awful, and was so miserable I'm surprised my marriage stayed intact ....... but it's all good now :drinker:

Best of luck to you, honey !
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that goals need to be non scales-related.

Having measurable fitness goals is really helpful. I have taken up running, and I have a series of goals, each a little tougher than the last. I don't know if my ultimate goals are even physically possible for me, but each time I hit a goal, I stay pumped for weeks. When I stop being able to reach the next goal, I will know it's because I'm at peak fitness. I've never been able to say that in my life, and I can't say it now, but maybe in a couple of years.

Food needs to be put in its proper perspective. I don't want to be thinner so I can be thinner, I want to be thinner so I can be faster.
  • slightlydiminishing
    slightlydiminishing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    keep your clothes that are too small! Being able to put them on again is the greatest feeling. Id also say its better to give yourself rewards that aren't food related, which it seems like youre doing. When you use unhealthy food rewards it makes you feel like you are constantly restricting yourself from the best foods, when in reality you can learn to receive the most satisfaction from healthy foods.