Calorie count

Options
Hi

Just wondering if you can help.

At the moment im roughly consuming 1100 cals a day this includes 3 meals and 3 healthy snack in between.

It keeps say that i need to eat more(1129) as it may slow my metabolism down but i cant really cant eat any more than i am.

So will this Aid my weight lose or hinder it??

should i just eat more fruit and veg ??

Help xx

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Don't do ROUGHLY - do measuring (that's a bad enough estimate on it's own without introducing ROUGHLY!!)

Open your food diary up so we can see what you say that you're eating.... Otherwise we're guessing too
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to not "guess" at what you are eating....weigh and measure. If after that you are still under then eat a chocolate bar those are about 240 calories.

Or add avocados to stuff, full fat dairy, a handful of almonds, peanut butter.
  • jessy8787
    jessy8787 Posts: 22
    Options
    Sorry i know what i am consuming each day down to the last calorie but i averaged it out for the past week as some days its 800 then it might be 1100

Also how to open my food diary up so you can see ??
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Go to the menu .. SETTINGS .. then DIARY SETTINGS and at the bottom change it to PUBLIC
  • jessy8787
    Options
    okay it open take a look
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    okay it open take a look

Cool
  • jessy8787
    Options
    okay it open take a look

Cool

let me know advise would be fab
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Don't eat 800 calories. That does not help
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    1. your diary is not open

2. just from what you said, you are not eating enough. You need to eat a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day, just to get the adequate nutrition your body needs from all the various micro-nutrients. And with a goal that low, ALL of those 1200 should be high quality nutrient dense foods, no junk.

With a higher goal there is room for junk. :)

Make SURE you are weighing everything on a food scale. or else that "i think i ate 1100" might actually be 1600....
  • robin52077
    Options
    what is your height? current weight? goal weight? what types of workouts are you doing?
  • jessy8787
    Options
    Okay 2nd try it should be open now
  • jessy8787
    Options
    what is your height? current weight? goal weight? what types of workouts are you doing?

I am 175 CM

235 pounds

my 1st goal is to get to 224 pound hopefully by 19th july.

exercise none but go ing to start walking as want to work on my thighs and hips xx
  • robin52077
    Options
    it is.

first i'll start with a compliment:

for the small amount of calories you are eating, you have done a good job getting enough protein!

The problem lies with the fat content and total calories, which can be fixed by simply getting rid of the fat free versions of things and eating the full fat versions, like cheese and milk.

Dietary fat is not body fat. You don't gain fat by eating fat. It is not your enemy. Fats are essential for brain function. Eat more healthy fats! cook with olive oil, and log it, 5g in the pan, etc. Eat nuts and seeds as a healthy snack. All these will get you the needed good fats and bring your calories to a normal level.

I would recommend lowering the carb macro to add a bit MORE protein and fats, but that is just what I prefer, it isn't "necessary". I stick to 60 carbs and 20 sugars max on most days, and close to 100g protein and whatever fats finish it off, 60g or so...

This makes me super FULL and satisfied on a low amount of calories while carbs i can eat ALLL day long and not get full, so it works for me but not for everyone. :)

PS. don't look at my diary, after doing this for 3 years i do not log everything, i might log most of the day, then stop when i know i am on target for the day and not log dinner, or i may throw stuff in there to see what it looks like then not eat it an not take it out. It is now my personal estimator, and not an accurate picture of what i consumed.
  • robin52077
    Options
    so, you're 5'9" 235?

you're eating like a 4'10, 110 lb girl trying to lose 5 pounds.

Your BMR is 1800-ish.

This means your body NEEDS that many calories to SURVIVE even if you were in a coma.

I suggest raising your goal to 1800 and aiming to REACH it by eating healthy foods.

Do this for 3 weeks CONSISTENTLY before deciding if it IS or ISN'T working. You may gain a pound or 2 in the interim and that is normal from water weight. Around the 3 week mark you should start to consistently lose a pound a week.

You have to eat 2300 or more a day to gain weight. You won't gain actual weight eating 1800, don't worry, any fluctuations on the scale is just water retention from the added calories, it will even out.
  • jessy8787
    Options
    it is.

first i'll start with a compliment:

for the small amount of calories you are eating, you have done a good job getting enough protein!

The problem lies with the fat content and total calories, which can be fixed by simply getting rid of the fat free versions of things and eating the full fat versions, like cheese and milk.

Dietary fat is not body fat. You don't gain fat by eating fat. It is not your enemy. Fats are essential for brain function. Eat more healthy fats! cook with olive oil, and log it, 5g in the pan, etc. Eat nuts and seeds as a healthy snack. All these will get you the needed good fats and bring your calories to a normal level.

I would recommend lowering the carb macro to add a bit MORE protein and fats, but that is just what I prefer, it isn't "necessary". I stick to 60 carbs and 20 sugars max on most days, and close to 100g protein and whatever fats finish it off, 60g or so...

This makes me super FULL and satisfied on a low amount of calories while carbs i can eat ALLL day long and not get full, so it works for me but not for everyone. :)

PS. don't look at my diary, after doing this for 3 years i do not log everything, i might log most of the day, then stop when i know i am on target for the day and not log dinner, or i may throw stuff in there to see what it looks like then not eat it an not take it out. It is now my personal estimator, and not an accurate picture of what i consumed.

So what im eating is okay okay i just need to cut carbs and eat good fats??
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You are NOT eating enough

I lost 70 lbs using hte TDEE minus 20% method.
    I started at 216 lbs, so not that far off from you.

The more you weigh, the more you need to eat to lose.

www.fat2fitradio.com

Enter all the info but keep your Current and GOAL weights the SAME! (Yes, the same, trust me)
    You're going to redo it every 5 lbs you lose

Then I ate sedentary minus 20% until I started really running and lifting a TON and now I eat the lightly active number minus 20%

Based on you being around 5'8" and 234 lbs, you should be eating 1777 calories per day. Hell you can probably eat closer to 1850-1900 because your BMR is 1852!! You have to eat least eat your BMR to lose!

EAT THE CALORIES. Trust me :)

It'll get lower as you lose weight, but not tons lower.

I lost on average 1.5-2 lbs per week. There were some weeks I lost half a pound, but then the following week I'd lose 3

This works. Really.

The weeks I ate like 1200-1300 calories? NADA. You gotta find the sweet spot.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    so, you're 5'9" 235?

you're eating like a 4'10, 110 lb girl trying to lose 5 pounds.

Your BMR is 1800-ish.

This means your body NEEDS that many calories to SURVIVE even if you were in a coma.

I suggest raising your goal to 1800 and aiming to REACH it by eating healthy foods.

Do this for 3 weeks CONSISTENTLY before deciding if it IS or ISN'T working. You may gain a pound or 2 in the interim and that is normal from water weight. Around the 3 week mark you should start to consistently lose a pound a week.

You have to eat 2300 or more a day to gain weight. You won't gain actual weight eating 1800, don't worry, any fluctuations on the scale is just water retention from the added calories, it will even out.

Or yeah - what they said ^^ ;)
  • robin52077
    Options

So what im eating is okay okay i just need to cut carbs and eat good fats??

you don't "need" to cut carbs, but it works for me, personally.

but you NEED to eat quite a bit more calories, from a health standpoint, not so much a weight loss one. you'll lose at a slightly slower rate, but you'll be healthier, less tired/crabby/hungry, and will have a lot less loose skin when you're done.
  • jessy8787
    Options
    What is BMR???
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    What is BMR???
    Basal Metabolic Rate: the caloric baseline your body needs in order to maintain functions.

TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure/ caloric expenditure after activity (whether 'deliberate exercise' or the activity of life, like walking around the workplace).