Will I lose weight quickly?

Options
Hi there! I was wondering because of my size would I lose weight faster? I am 18, 5'7 and I weigh 212lbs even though I'm told I dont look like I weigh as much. So anyway will I lose weight quickly because of this?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you might - it depends on how many calories you cut from your regular diet, how much cardio you do and how intense it is. it also depends on what you mean by quickly.

i lost 10 pounds my first month and now lose about a pound per week. i don't want to lose weight too fast, because often when you lose weight fast, you lose muscle, not fat, and that not only makes you weaker but muscle is what burns fat so losing it means you lower your ability to burn fat.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your calorie goal and how much you workout. Losing weight fast is not the way to do it. Focus on losing 1-2 lbs a week for a healthy sustainable loss. You definitely do not want to lose more muscle than fat and also do not want the weight to come back on.
  • clairetomkinson84
    clairetomkinson84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The recommended weight loss is 1-2lb a week. You do not want to lose too fast as you need to give your body a chance to adjust and research has shown that losing weight fast has a higher percent chance of gaining the weight back.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Maybe you will, maybe you won't. However, I'd say that you should probably expect to reach a weight you're happy with in 6-18 months. Hardly anyone loses weight at the rate they're happy with.
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Generally you'll find that in the first two weeks you'll drop more than you'd expect, but then it tends to go down to around 0.5-2lb a week depending on the amount of exercise you do and the amount of calories you consume. Slow and steady is better as it is easier to continue with the lifestyle changes you are making! :)
  • lockedontarget
    Options
    Hi there! I was wondering because of my size would I lose weight faster? I am 18, 5'7 and I weigh 212lbs even though I'm told I dont look like I weigh as much. So anyway will I lose weight quickly because of this?

You will lose a lot of water weight rather than fat initially (maybe up to 20lbs) and you should aim to lose at least 2lbs a week at your weight. It's going to take you a long time to lean out though and you badly need to change your diet/lifestyle.

You should go out and walk as much as you can. If you walk as fast as you can for 2 hours a day. I'd say that you can walk a hell lot of fat off. However don't be temped to eat back your excise calories or you will fall off the wagon.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Did you put it on instantly?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    People at higher weights frequently report losing faster, at least for the first few weeks. I started at 228, and that was not my experience.