Do cleanses work?

Options
The boards have been inundated lately with "cleanses" and "detoxes", and people asking about whether or not they work. There have also been a lot of posts lately about Dr. Oz being grilled for his 'endorsement' of snake oil weight loss products, supplements, and the like, and how they have no merit.

So, I'd like to have a conversation about people's takes on cleanses and detoxes, and give people who do believe in them an opportunity to provide scholarly studies that prove their effectiveness.

At least from what I've seen, a lot of these cleanses and detoxes are *not* FDA approved. They can easily be put onto shelves in stores like CVS, but they do not have to have ANY merit whatsoever to do so. Especially with the controversy that surrounded ephedra years ago, it shows how easily a dangerous supplement can be made available to consumers, without the consumer knowing the dangers that they are ingesting.

Anyone can also create a "detox" or "cleanse" product, and have absolutely no medical background or merit to do so.
For instance, I just invented the coffee cleanse. It involves going to Dunkin Donuts, getting at least a medium iced coffee, and chugging it before going on a run. The caffeine helps to stimulate you, and "cleanses" all of the bad stuff out of your small intestine once you return from your run. See how easy that was?

A lot of the products I have seen are pretty much overpriced laxatives, or require participants to go on VLCD or restrictive diets, when the itinerary has no medical merit whatsoever. I've also seen very well known "health gurus" plugging away at water fasts for long periods of time (some of which have resulted in deaths) for the sake of cleansing or detoxing.

At the end of the day, every time I see people participating in cleanses/detoxes/fasts, I want to ask:
1. Do you have kidneys?
2. Do you have a liver?

If you answered yes to at least one of these questions, your body is already doing the work for you.

So, I'd like to get other peoples' opinions on the matter. What do you think, and what scholarly evidence do you have to support or debunk the idea of detoxes and cleanses?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My stance on this as well as some links can be seen here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    cleanses do a great job of cleaning stray money out of your wallet and leaving you with unnecessary "health" products.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The only "cleanse" I recommend is the water cleanse. It's just filling a pitcher with water then adding a whole lemon (sliced of course), half a cucumber (sliced), and 13ish mint leaves. I even add other fruit when I pour it out for flavor, like raspberries or mangoes. It just made me overall feel better and more energized solely because of the antioxidants in the fruits/veggies/herbs. :)
    But I wouldn't trust any of the pills or whatever.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Your body cleanse and detox itself naturally. If people are going to take a detour from the traditional weight loss method (CICO) then they should be supervised by a qualified doctor. Personally, I think it's crap (pun intended).
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why anyone would do a cleanse when they cost money, deprive you of delicious foods, are miserable especially if prolonged, and totally scientifically unnecessary.

While I understand that people want quick and easy fixes, I can't see what's easy or convenient about eating nothing but juiced celery or whatever for 2 weeks. How is this better than just learning portion control?.............
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The only "cleanse" I recommend is the water cleanse. It's just filling a pitcher with water then adding a whole lemon (sliced of course), half a cucumber (sliced), and 13ish mint leaves. I even add other fruit when I pour it out for flavor, like raspberries or mangoes. It just made me overall feel better and more energized solely because of the antioxidants in the fruits/veggies/herbs. :)

What happens if you add a whole cucumber and only six mint leaves? Doesn't it work any longer?
  • merryberry99
    merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing and have actually considered trying one. However, I recently chatted with a friend who gave up on a week cleanse after about 2 days. It wrecked his bowels and he couldn't take it any longer. That's been a huge fear of mine (I'd like to leave the house without being afraid of embarrassing myself), so his experience only added to my fear.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options

What happens if you add a whole cucumber and only six mint leaves? Doesn't it work any longer?

Lol I mean the antioxidants are still there, just more from the cucumber and less from the mint :) I assume it still works!
    However, this "cleanse" isn't meant to be like ONLY that water for a week. You eat your normal stuff like you usually would on a diet :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Lol I mean the antioxidants are still there, just more from the cucumber and less from the mint :) I assume it still works!
    However, this "cleanse" isn't meant to be like ONLY that water for a week. You eat your normal stuff like you usually would on a diet :)

I was going to ask if all you drink was water; thanks for clarifying!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

LOL Actually, that does seem rather tasty and a good break from plain water. I might try it as a (hopefully) refreshing summer beverage. (Thanks for being a good sport!)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    My stance on this as well as some links can be seen here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

Really good read, thanks for this.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't think cleanses work. Your body cleanses itself, just make sure you're getting plenty of water and nutrients and you should be fine.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Dis_gon_be_good.gif

water water water and eating healthier and CICO are pretty much all you need (unless medical issues are part of things and then you need to be working with your doctor)
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I do a 7 day body cleanse every other month or so (Arbonne). You eat while you are on it, you just add the cleanse to 32 oz of water. It's gentle - no extra trips to the bathroom. I love it because about day 4 or 5, my skin starts to look really good, with a nice glow to it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking a nice cleanse of our environment and foods would be the way to go.

Also, a spam cleanse for MFP.
  • Marlena0708
    Marlena0708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Working kidneys and liver do their cleansing jobs just fine. And they're free!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I do a 7 day body cleanse every other month or so (Arbonne). You eat while you are on it, you just add the cleanse to 32 oz of water. It's gentle - no extra trips to the bathroom. I love it because about day 4 or 5, my skin starts to look really good, with a nice glow to it.

The Chernobyl Cleanse?
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Do you have any studies that support that this cleanse works, other than how you feel on it?
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

To answer the question in the subject: No, they don't.
  • bibi100alora
    Options
    Sweat cleanse, also...