Three weeks weighing everything and nothing lost

Options
I know these threads claiming to not lose weight despite doing everything right pop up every day but I think I have an issue: I've been weighing everything I eat in the past three weeks and haven't lost anything.

For reference: I'm 5'3" and 140 lbs (ugh) and I lift heavy around four times a week, sometimes three depending on my schedule. I calculated my TDEE to be ~1900 cals-- I usually stay between 1300 and 1500 per day.

For some background: I've been lifting for a while but took about a three week break for finals. Eating went to complete **** too. I've been home for three weeks.

I should also add that I've been having serious issues with bloating/gas/occasionally constipation these past few months-- could that hindering weight loss? (I'm constantly bloated; I'm seeing doctors about it to no avail so far)

I'm measuring as well but I'm seeing little change.

I opened my diary for you guys. Please ignore my notes to myself; they're related to the GI issues. I'm also on a low FODMAP diet so much of what I eat every day is the same (I try to stay away from gluten, dairy, and some fruits and veggies.) I know the only way it's possible not to lose weight is to not be in a deficit...but am I seriously not in a deficit?

edit: I also do IF...sorta. I typically start eating at noon and finish around 9. Partly for the IF benefits (which I haven't seen...) and partly because I full/bloating/etc. when I wake up.

(Side note if you want to be my mfp friend I really need some!)

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's possible to not lose weight even in a deficit when you are having constipation issues. Also, just a little figuring for you and I think you might be eating too little, so that when you do get the constipation under control you will lose muscle instead of fat. With a TDEE of 1900 calories, I'd recommend eating no less than 1520 calories per day. For the constipation, have you tried any herbal supplements? I have a major issue with the same thing (specifically beef constipates me and I have no desire to give up beef completely) and none of the stuff the doctors recommend does a thing. Even the stuff they give to clean things out for a colonoscopy does nothing for me. I use a product I get from the health food store next door to the gym where I work whenever I eat beef. It is amazing for me! It's called Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxative. I don't know if it is available where you are, but it might be worth a try. Just make sure your doctor has ruled out any other issues first.
  • whoafitspo
    whoafitspo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's possible to not lose weight even in a deficit when you are having constipation issues. Also, just a little figuring for you and I think you might be eating too little, so that when you do get the constipation under control you will lose muscle instead of fat. With a TDEE of 1900 calories, I'd recommend eating no less than 1520 calories per day. For the constipation, have you tried any herbal supplements? I have a major issue with the same thing (specifically beef constipates me and I have no desire to give up beef completely) and none of the stuff the doctors recommend does a thing. Even the stuff they give to clean things out for a colonoscopy does nothing for me. I use a product I get from the health food store next door to the gym where I work whenever I eat beef. It is amazing for me! It's called Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxative. I don't know if it is available where you are, but it might be worth a try. Just make sure your doctor has ruled out any other issues first.

I haven't tried herbal supplements, only Dulcolax every once in a while. I could definitely try that (and also research constipation and weight loss because I've never heard of any exception to the deficit rule). Thank you!
  • whoafitspo
    Options
    And as for upping cals I've been hesitant because I haven't seen a loss and because I'm afraid eating more will make me bloat more. Ahh. I could try that as well though.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I think your GI issues could definitely be masking any weight loss. I would suggest keeping up what you're doing and see if it starts going down a little. You may need to give it more time to see a scale loss since you're having problems with water retention (bloating) and constipation.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I know someone who thought she had gluten sensitivity and went gluten free only to have more severe symptoms. It turned out to be a corn allergy. With today's GMO corn, more and more people are becoming allergic to it. Keep tracking how you feel after each meal. The weight loss will come but you need to focus on GI issues first.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I think your GI issues could definitely be masking any weight loss. I would suggest keeping up what you're doing and see if it starts going down a little. You may need to give it more time to see a scale loss since you're having problems with water retention (bloating) and constipation.

This is my bet too.
  • whoafitspo
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm guessing the GI issues may have something to do with it-- which makes them even more frustrating.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I also have horrible constipation issues, always have, probably always will, so bad I thought I was having an appendicitis, turns out I had a blockage in my colon and had a big pocket of air building up. It was quite serious, while I thought it was funny, my dr did not. I said leave it to me to die from being constipated. If you are backed up quite bad, my dr has me take magnesium citrate, he always has me drink this. I included a link of what the bottle looks like. For me, because my body is so stubborn, it takes me to drink the whole bottle, and then almost to the minute 12 hrs later, I get relief and there is no cramping at all, but stuff comes out that I wonder omg what is that. lol, but it does the trick and I feel wonderful. Next, I have been told to start taking one capful of miralax a day to help with these issues. My child has been told that before when she was younger and it was awful she wouldn't because of taste, but I had never thought of that. I finally picked up a bottle and omg I feel so much better now that I do this. One capful, I mix with about 8 oz of water, I do think it makes the water taste a little funny, so I mix a little mio in with it, and 9 hrs later a bm. Its wonder, I am now a regular person thanks to this stuff, link also at the bottom. I have never been regular before, sad I need this stuff, but my stomach does feel a lot better from it, and neither of these items cause cramping.

Good luck!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Magnesium-Citrate-Lemon-Flavored-Saline-Laxative-Oral-Solution-10-fl-oz-Pack-of-3/36976666

http://www.walmart.com/ip/MiraLAX-Laxative-Powder-17.9oz.-30-Dose/10419759