Fewer calories than suggested

Options
In the program says should eat 1500 calories a day and I have not exceeded 1000 in the first week of following the program. It says I am eating too little but I am never hungry so should I be concerned ?

Replies

• shastacrystal
    Options
    are you exercising? For a male 1000 is extremely low. Is your diary viewable?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be concerned because at only 1000 calories per day, you are starving your body. And often times when you eat too little trying to lose weight, you won't feel hungry.

I would try to eat the 1500. Losing weight is not worth losing health.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes. As a male, you should be eating at least 1500 calories minimum a day. Certainly no less than 1200. You are not giving your body enough energy for it to run properly, and it's going to go into starvation mode, and you're going to stop losing weight.
  • michael1337
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 a day. Even that is just enough for your organs to function properly so a little more can't hurt plus if you exercise then that's adds calories you can eat too if you want. I've heard that everyone has a deficit of calories their bodies need in a day to function and that number shouldn't fall below 1000 on any given day. I mean only eating 1000 you may see some quick weight loss for the first week or so but it's definitely not worth organ failure. :)
  • cececastro
    Options
    i have the same problem as you. I think its because we are now focusing on calories, whereas we never really did before.
    If you have that problem you should eat healthy calories, like cereal bars or healthy lowfat yogurt. Also take vitamins! That way you will still be really healthy!!
  • Flintstones
    Options
    My understanding is that eating calories as low as this - the weight you will of lost will be lean mass instead of the desired fat loss. Or perhaps fluids - be sure to drink at least 8 cups of fluid daily preferably water.

You must make up your diet plan with fruits, veggies and so on..... count up the calories to reach 1500 if that is the plan you are on.

And.....

when you take any exercise enter this into your exercise dairy and MyfitnessPlan will generate how many more calories you have for that day you must eat these extra calories, you then will start to see a steady weight loss, your body will not go into starvation mode, it will be fat lost not lean tissues. Your blood sugars and other hormonal functions will regulate adn your body will gradually reach a healthy balance.

For years my weight stayed the same - whatever I did with helathy food choices and plenty of exercise - I understand now that I was not eating enough, Now that I have grasped this concept of getting the right amount of calories calculated for my height and weight loss desired and eating my exercise calories I am seeing instant results.

MyFitnessPal is a fantastic tool.

Blessings Sue
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 a day. Even that is just enough for your organs to function properly so a little more can't hurt plus if you exercise then that's adds calories you can eat too if you want. I've heard that everyone has a deficit of calories their bodies need in a day to function and that number shouldn't fall below 1000 on any given day. I mean only eating 1000 you may see some quick weight loss for the first week or so but it's definitely not worth organ failure. :)
    I've always stuck to 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day and have lost 92lbs now (Since the 18th August 2010), my health is fantastic, my blood pressure is now perfect, my heart rate is now perfect, my Doctor keeps saying how well I have done, I don't get hungry, I have lots and lots of energy etc.

So no, going below 1,200 calories a day is NOT a problem as long as your careful, all this "starvation mode" talk makes me laugh, you STILL lose weight no matter how few calories you eat, the more you eat the slower you will lose FACT.

If you want to cut down or go below 1,200 calories you can, just be very careful, make sure you have enough nutrients and fluid, and do NOT eat your exercise calories, it defeats the whole point of exercising (a lot of people here will disagree with me but I've lost 92lbs so do know how to lose weight and keep it off).

Gimme a shout if you need any advice :)
  • Athaiguy
    Athaiguy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replys !!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you on your weight loss man, it really is an accomplishment to be able to lose that much. However, you are an exception to the rule, not the rule. Starvation mode is a real thing. It's backed up by science, plus a ton of anecdotal evidence on here. For every one of you, there's 20 others who post "I'm eating (less than 1200 calories), and not losing weight, help!" And once they start eating more, they start to see progress on their weight loss.

Not every weight loss rule applies to everyone, because every person is different. But your case is a rare one, and is not evidence that the commonly accepted rules of diet and weight loss are bunk.
  • Athaiguy
    Options
    I will continue unless feel bad I have had a double hip replacement so not getting much exercise will take it one day at a time Thanks all !
  • Athaiguy
    Options
    Well I have continued to eat under 1000 Calories a day Feeling good weight loss is at a steady pace guess it's just different for different people. I don't feel hungry thats the good thing
  • Athaiguy
    Options
    Well have continued my eating habits and am down 31 Lbs in the past 2 month need to shed 11 more before 30th next month should be easy
  • Athaiguy
    Options
    Well 2 pounds to go have lost 40 so far thanks to this site was far easier than I thought it would be
  • caitlinsmum
    caitlinsmum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well done !