How to go to 1200 calories

Options
I know this might cause an uproar.. but I am having a LOT of trouble trying to get to 1,200 calories.. I am not starving myself. I eat until I am full.

Please- don't get me wrong.. I could go to a restaurant and HANDLE 1,200 calories at one meal. (alcohol included) But on regular day I am having a ton of trouble getting there. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode and me hold onto weight.

HELP.

Replies

• HeatherScent37
    HeatherScent37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Put butter on everything. Or just eat butter.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

LOL!! I am not trying to clog my arteries now
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have some 900 calorie days through the week, but I make up for them eating out another time during the week. Yesterday I ate 800 calories of good food, and my ice cream on a waffle cone put me way over my 1200 allotment.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I know this might cause an uproar.. but I am having a LOT of trouble trying to get to 1,200 calories.. I am not starving myself. I eat until I am full.

Please- don't get me wrong.. I could go to a restaurant and HANDLE 1,200 calories at one meal. (alcohol included) But on regular day I am having a ton of trouble getting there. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode and me hold onto weight.

HELP.

No uproar but "being full" is no indication at all about weather or not you are deprived of important nutrients or eating to little to support your body.

Are you logging your food on MFP? What is your current iron intake for example?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

If you are eating under than 1200 calories you will be healthier eating that butter than not. Supporting your body isn't just about eating vegetables its about supplying it with sufficient calories.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

That's serious recommendation, and not a bad one at that.

Rigger
  • chelseababy22
    Options
    [/quote]

No uproar but "being full" is no indication at all about weather or not you are deprived of important nutrients or eating to little to support your body.

[/quote]

I think my diary is viewable.. It changes everyday.. yesterday was super low.. but typically around 800
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, pasta, nuts, beans, oil to cook, butter to cook.

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That's serious recommendation, and not a bad one at that.

Rigger

Yup, or put olive oil on everything you already eat
  • ErisDyscordia
    ErisDyscordia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A lot of research has shown that starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.
  • chelseababy22
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, pasta, nuts, beans, oil to cook, butter to cook.

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.

Those are good ideas.. I just don't want to make myself get sick by "eating too much"
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    How about fruit, nuts, yogurt, ice cream, juice
  • erickirb
    Options

[/quote]

I think my diary is viewable.. It changes everyday.. yesterday was super low.. but typically around 800
    [/quote]

do you weigh solid food with a kitchen scale and measure liquids with measuring cups and spoons? If not you are probably eating 10-50% for than you think you are, which means you may be getting enough, but wont know unless you weigh and measure.
  • chelseababy22
    Options
    A lot of research has shown that starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.

THANK GOD.. This is fantastic
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Butter won't do that if it's a reasonable amount. Butter is considered GOOD fats. This is something your body NEEDS.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    peanut butter, nuts, protein bars.
  • chelseababy22
    Options

[/quote]

do you weigh solid food with a kitchen scale and measure liquids with measuring cups and spoons? If not you are probably eating 10-50% for than you think you are, which means you may be getting enough, but wont know unless you weigh and measure.
    [/quote]

YES! I am very big about weighing out everything and using measuring spoons etc. My family thinks I am crazy.. but so necessary!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Your diary is not set to public. I was wondering what your iron intake was, MFP has a nutrients tab associated with your diary...have you checked it?
  • erickirb
    Options

Not entirely true, the way people believe starvation mode to work is a myth, but not getting enough cals, esp protein will lead to larger % of your weight loss coming from lean muscle, which in turn will lower you BMR as your body adjusts to lower cals and reduced muscle mass, meaning it is much easier to put the weight back on, eating "normal" again.
  • ErisDyscordia
    ErisDyscordia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    While starvation mode might not really be a thing in the western world, that doesn't mean that you are operating at peak effciency if you are under the 1200. I have found what helps, is to eat often, and make sure snacks and meals balance carbs. protein, and fat. This helps keep your metabolism working consistantly.

If you are having trouble reaching your calories (I have found this happens if I eat a ton of veggies or high fiber items), try adding in peanut butter or milk. For example, dip your apple slices in some peanut butter, adds protein, fat, and calories :)