ALLI slimming pills - UK takers?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've recently started taking Alli sllimming tablets (containing Orlistat) which is available over the counter at the Pharmacy and wondered if anyone has any experience with taking these? Horror/success stories!?

Thanks!

Sarah x

Replies

• abbyrowley
    Options
    Hi there!
    I've not taken them personally but my boss did several weeks ago and said they were the worst thing she's ever done to herself!
    Without trying to be too graphic (may be difficult) she said that she just needed the toilet all the time because of the amount of fat that was being 'passed' through her body. She tried this with a friend, who also had a horrible 'experience' when she bent down.

So yeah, if you get my drift, I don't think they are the most pleasant of things and I would strongly advise to read up as much as you can about these tablets before even taking one!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was on Xenical for a while , which is the stronger prescription version, and found it OK but only if you`re very very careful with the amount of fat you eat otherwise you get some pretty unpleasant reactions. I did see some results though. I`'ve stopped taking them now and I've found that watching my calories and exercising more have been far more successful for me.

Good luck
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    A friend of my daughter's took them with fairly good results. But the "leaking" can be a problem. If you eat more than the recommended amount of fat, it literally goes right through you. I guess if you're diligent on the eating part, you do lose the weight. But if we could be diligent on the eating part, we wouldn't be here now, would we???? :)
  • sarahkorry
    Options
    Oh godddddd! Doesn't sound good at all!!!!! :S

I researched into them quite a bit before I started taking them and decided only to do it with a low fat, low cal diet plus excercise. I've been taking them for 3 days so far and no side effects at all (but I have been sticking to the fat content in each meal that the leaflet advises) To be honest I'm scared of going over in case one of the horror stories happens to me! (Sorry to everyone eating their lunch!!)

I'm going to carry on and see what happens - I'll keep you all updated! Any other stories!? x
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    There is a radio show here in the states Oppie and Anthony. One of them was dating a very good looking weather girl, when they broke up he told the story about how she was taking those pills. They would wake up in the morning and talking about the bed sheets he said "it looked like the wax paper under a pizza"

No thanks!
  • sarahkorry
    Options
    hahaa very true Suzy12! :)
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I did the xenical thing for a while. two rules really - do not under any circumstances eat spaghetti bolognaise or you will not be able to leave the house and do not break wind thinking that is all that will happen! They weren't for me but if you were very sensible with the fat then I expect they would be OK.
  • brandnewgirl
    Options
    I heard good and bad. I guess its different for everyone.
  • nmunson4
    nmunson4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My mom works in a hospital emergency room, she's told me that have TONS of people coming in with symptoms of "explosive diarreah" from taking ALLI. I know that sounds so awful, but people litterally cannot control their bowels because it turns the fat in your diet to an oil type substance. The reviews on average for this pill say that it only contributes about a one pound a month weight loss, and thats with strict diet and exercise.
  • sarahkorry
    Options
    I've just burst out laughing and got worried all at the same time - I've literally just finished eating spaghetti bolognaise!! Home made though with lean beef mince and only used water to cook the onions/beef/tinned tomatoes - also only used wholewheat spaghetti - argh I hope I'm ok!
  • nmunson4
    nmunson4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :wink: Just make sure if you leave the house take an extra pair of pants!
  • JollyMolly72
    JollyMolly72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes beware of the "treatment effects." Basically to avoid them you have to eat really healthy low fat foods. Which is good, cause we should be doing that anyway. I view the treatment effects as a sort of shock therapy if you've over indulged ;)

My friend was religious about Alli but she wouldn't take it if she was going to eat something really unhealthy because she wanted to avoid treatment effects. Basically there is no magic pill, you still have to be motivated...but this one is pretty close to being a magic pill.

You can also try CLA, sunflower seed oil pills. They've been around for a long time. I took them several years ago as a fat blocker and do not remember any effects like I had with Alli.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    After reading all these comments it just reinforces the fact that there IS NO EASIER SOFTER WAY, the shortcuts to weight loss almost always have nasty consequences. I will stick with proper diet and excersise, slow and steady wins the race.
  • sarahkorry
    Options
    Definitely know what you mean about using them as shock treatment Although I don't even want to see what effects they cause so I'm being religious about it!

I've majorly cut down on fat/cals for my diet and increased my exercise to running 5k every 3-4 times a week along with strengh training - its starting to pay off I suppose I just wanted it tto happen a bit quicker!
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Definitely know what you mean about using them as shock treatment Although I don't even want to see what effects they cause so I'm being religious about it!

I've majorly cut down on fat/cals for my diet and increased my exercise to running 5k every 3-4 times a week along with strengh training - its starting to pay off I suppose I just wanted it tto happen a bit quicker!

I'm willing to bet that with all the changes you are making, you'd lose weight pretty well without the supplement :smile:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I took alli for months and NEVER had any of the side effects. I followed the program though, so I ate in my fat gram (and calorie) goal. Occasionally, I'd accidentally take one with a cheat meal or something, and I STILL didn't have a single side effect! That is... A side effect like leaking or something. I did start to notice that Alli might have been contributing to my persistent gastritis (inflammation of the stomach)/gallstones. I forgot to take it for a while, and whenever I tried to start back up, I'd be nauseous and unable to eat for a whole week. It even happened after I had my gallbladder removed. I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence, but I'm not risking it anymore. :)

Like I said, no REAL side effects for me. I really liked alli. I think it really did help me lose an extra pound every week. As long as you stick to the fat gram goal, it'll work.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've just burst out laughing and got worried all at the same time - I've literally just finished eating spaghetti bolognaise!! Home made though with lean beef mince and only used water to cook the onions/beef/tinned tomatoes - also only used wholewheat spaghetti - argh I hope I'm ok!

That has made me chuckle. I expect mine was full of fat. I asked my doctor for them (I got the first batch privately) and he said "only if you own a lot of pairs of brown knickers Sharon". And I don't, so that was the end of that
  • DreamingOfSize10_UK
    Options
    I took Alli for a while last year. I must be in the minority but I found I could eat most things and I didn't get the bad side effects. Didn't find I lost any weight taking them, but I think was over eating at the time and kidding myself!!