BCAA's (not sure if this is the right forum to post)

So I recently decided to change my calorie intake from 2500 to 1800. I've been taking bcaa's while cutting for a while, but are they really needed. shouldn't I be getting all of my BCAA's from the lean proteins and vegetables that I eat? just wondering if should keep buying them or not.

Replies

• dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    you only NEED bcaa's if you plan to do heavy strength training in a fasted state.

otherwise, they are a waste of money.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    currently, I do IF and train fasted generally
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Needed? Certainly not. But pure BCAA's, especially if taken in-between meals do a very good job of spiking muscle protein synthesis which can help prevent muscle loss due to the caloric deficit.

They also seem to help a lot of people with recovery.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    currently, I do IF and train fasted generally

Yeah, especially if you're doing that, keep the BCAAs. Free-form BCAAs are much more bioavailable than BCAAs taken from food sources.
  • LotusAsh
    ok , I was just wondering if still should take them
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    So I recently decided to change my calorie intake from 2500 to 1800. I've been taking bcaa's while cutting for a while, but are they really needed. shouldn't I be getting all of my BCAA's from the lean proteins and vegetables that I eat? just wondering if should keep buying them or not.

I eat 3 on the way to the gym, and eat 3 more about 1/2 way through training. But I never eat more than a bowl of oatmeal 4 to 5 hours prior to lifting. It could be all mental, but it works for me. And that`s what matters.

From the Layne Norton article
    During exercise, serotonin levels rise and can (amongst other things) increase the perception of fatigue -- that means a less intense workout for you.

BCAA supplementation reduces the amount of Tryptophan that enters the brain, and therefore reduces the amount of serotonin produced. This might allow you to work harder, longer.
  • LotusAsh

I eat 3 on the way to the gym, and eat 3 more about 1/2 way through training. But I never eat more than a bowl of oatmeal 4 to 5 hours prior to lifting. It could be all mental, but it works for me. And that`s what matters.

From the Layne Norton article
    During exercise, serotonin levels rise and can (amongst other things) increase the perception of fatigue -- that means a less intense workout for you.

BCAA supplementation reduces the amount of Tryptophan that enters the brain, and therefore reduces the amount of serotonin produced. This might allow you to work harder, longer.

are you talking about the BCAA tablets chews? I use the powdered version and I usually sip on it during training.