How to go to 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    A lot of research has shown that starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.

Starvation mode is a myth.

Loss of muscle and bone density and malnutrition associated with very low calorie diets is not a myth.
  • TiffanyJole
    TiffanyJole Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Put butter on everything. Or just eat butter.

Hilarious, true, not the best advice, but true nonetheless! lol
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A lot of research has shown that starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.

Starvation mode may be a myth (as it's commonly used here, anyway) but there's very little chance that someone is getting adequate amounts of protein, fat, fiber, as well as all of the vitamins and minerals their bodies need at 800 calories a day.

One day here and there below your calories is fine. But making a habit of it can lead to unpleasant results.

You don't have to eat more, but you can eat smarter. Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, full fat diary, cheese, ice cream, Greek yogurt, sour cream, nuts and nut butter, seeds, protein shakes and smoothies, fruit juices, dark chocolate, less lean choices of meat, full calorie sauces and dressings, etc. There are a ton of ways to increase your calories at each meal by a few hundred without adding lots of extra food to your diet.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Does not mean you are getting proper nutrients for energy and your immune system. Do more research.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    While starvation mode might not really be a thing in the western world, that doesn't mean that you are operating at peak effciency if you are under the 1200. I have found what helps, is to eat often, and make sure snacks and meals balance carbs. protein, and fat. This helps keep your metabolism working consistantly.

If you are having trouble reaching your calories (I have found this happens if I eat a ton of veggies or high fiber items), try adding in peanut butter or milk. For example, dip your apple slices in some peanut butter, adds protein, fat, and calories :)

Meal timing and frequency has no impact on metabolism, total calories do.

As long as you get your minimum fat, and protein that you should have based on activity level and your deficit isn't too large (250-1000 cals/day) depending on how much you have to lose, you will be fine.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

No uproar but "being full" is no indication at all about weather or not you are deprived of important nutrients or eating to little to support your body.

Are you logging your food on MFP? What is your current iron intake for example?

I think my diary is viewable.. It changes everyday.. yesterday was super low.. but typically around 800

You can make your diary viewable by going here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Towards the bottom of the page select "Public" and then Save Changes.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, pasta, nuts, beans, oil to cook, butter to cook.

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.

Those are good ideas.. I just don't want to make myself get sick by "eating too much"

You asked for suggestions and they are good ones. What do you want people to tell you? That is how you get to 1200 calories, eating more calorie dense food at the same volume that satiates you. BOOM.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You worry about not eating enough but when others suggest butter and higher-calorie foods to help hit 1200, you're like "But I don't want to eat TOO MUCH!" Well which is it? Don't worry about starvation mode, just take care of your body and eat enough calories. Butter won't just make you fat automatically. Add 1 or 2 tbs each day to your veggies and you'll turn your 800 calorie days into 1,000 calorie days. If this causes you any anxiety when you think about it, you might want to start talking to a nutritionist... or a therapist... but it doesn't sound to me like you have an ED or anything, just a need a little more nutritional education and a push in the right direction. Don't be afraid to fuel your body. Don't starve your body of fats.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    These threads are annoying because if you took the time to use the "search" function, you'd find a billion of them.

Ice cream, peanut butter, olive oil, butter, alcohol.........
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion: But, you are 20 years old, beautiful and don't look like you need to lose a pound. Why would you choose to do a 1200 calorie diet?

I would bet my num-chucks that you could eat a 2500 calories diet of good food and exercise and you wouldn't gain a pound. 1200 calorie diets are for people that want to shed weight fast. Honestly, the jury is out on whether they actually work faster than a 2000 calorie diet with exercise in the same amount of time, but that is another subject entirely.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.

Those are good ideas.. I just don't want to make myself get sick by "eating too much"

You asked for suggestions and they are good ones. What do you want people to tell you? That is how you get to 1200 calories, eating more calorie dense food at the same volume that satiates you. BOOM.
    Truth is a hard pill, my friend.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I like food, personally.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't about trying to eat the fewest possible number of calories. It's about learning to eat at a healthy level for your body - not too much and not too little.

So you do need to eat all of your base calories and at least half of your exercise calories. Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
    Beans and legumes
  • HeatherScent37
    HeatherScent37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    paula-deen-butter-1.jpg
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

TRUTH is absolutely GREAT!!!! But this should be a natural concern.. I do not want to make myself sick if I eat passed by body feeling full. Maybe I need to alter my request- how to hit 1,200 cals in the first place without over stuffing my body.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Put butter on everything. Or just eat butter.

Hilarious, true, not the best advice, but true nonetheless! lol

Why is that not good advice? What's wrong with butter? Or coconut oil, or olive oil? Fat is an essential macro, and butter is a great way to hit that macro.

Rigger
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Starvation mode by be a myth....but saying
    As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.

Is like saying a 400 mile per tank car will go 1600 miles if you put higher octane in.

EDIT: Why is a 20yr old F trying to hit 1200 calories? Am I the only one that thinks it's pretty low?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

TRUTH is absolutely GREAT!!!! But this should be a natural concern.. I do not want to make myself sick if I eat passed by body feeling full. Maybe I need to alter my request- how to hit 1,200 cals in the first place without over stuffing my body.

You do it by eating higher energy foods with less volume. Peanut butter is a great example. 188 calories in a serving. Wrap two slices of bread around it and you are up to 388 calories - or 25% of your daily allowance. Add a V-8 and you are at 438 and you've had lunch.
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about sometimes not being able to reach 1200 calories. There are some days (not all though) out of the week that I feel full at 800-900 calories. Those calories are from eating a ton of fruits and veggies (since they are calorie dense foods). Also, I seem to not be as hungry during the summer heat.
  • cakeribs
    cakeribs Posts: 22
    Options
    I never used to eat more than like 8,900 cals. But nuts and butter bump it up really easily.

Like someone said, two tablespoons of butter on your food gets you 200 more cals. I just ate a tiny packet of almonds and that's 340 cals. You don't have to eat more chicken or a whole other meal.

And, people really need to educate themselves about good fats. Time Magazine just had an article about that very topic--you're not going to "clog your arteries" with butter and nuts.