Keep trying, but it's becoming impossible

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 56kg (I actually weighed myself yesterday morning, first thing). I do about 30-40 minutes of rowing most mornings, and strength training only once a week, 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

You're not building any muscle with that routine.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 56kg (I actually weighed myself yesterday morning, first thing). I do about 30-40 minutes of rowing most mornings, and strength training only once a week, 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

I would cut back on the rowing, since it sounds like you don't need to burn more calories -- you need to eat them.

Can you lift more in a week, ideally around 3x a week? You may want to try a progressive, compound, heavy lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5. Lift heavy and keep your reps in the 1-5 range for strength.
  • jcranston13
    Options
    So with this info, your TDEE is 1973 Cal. You need to hit this number just to maintain your current weight at your activity level. In order to gain, you need to eat more than this. I would also ramp up to at least 3 days of weight training.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Drop the rowing, lift heavy three days a week, and get your calorie intake up to 2500 every day, and don't be worried about going over that, be more scared to go under it.

What you're doing currently is treading the line between cutting and maintaining, if you want to build mass you need to eat big and lift big, forget the cardio.

Rigger
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ah, this is very helpful advice, thanks. Sounds like I need to lift more then.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Ah, this is very helpful advice, thanks. Sounds like I need to lift more then.

And eat more, lifting is only about ten percent of this equation, the other 90 is food and rest.

Rigger