Any tips to cut back on the snacking?

Options
I have lost a good amount of weight but there is that last 10lbs I want to lose. My meals are great, I do good portions and I feel very satisfied. The problem is my snacking. Im an opportunist snacker so I take my planned snacks to work and someone brings in biscuits. I may only have one or two but thats 150 calories right there. Then there is the problem when I get home from work. Im in the kitchen making my sons dinner and I get a knife and the jam jar and eat some (not alot) then I get a few nuts, then I get a breadstick. Although Im not binging on anything, my snacks can add up to 500 calories a day. Most of the time, I have to make my meals smaller just to fit it into my calories and even then that doesnt work.

My eating habits are keeping me at maintenance when I want to lose. Does anyone have anything for me to help? Any tips on what I can pick at instead as its not hunger??

help???

Replies

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I make my childrens lunches while I make my lunch and so I find I don't snack as im going to eat anyways, If I am preparing food and not having meal for a while I drink water or chew gum, I play a game too called don't put anything in my mouth as I found if I focused on not snacking I didn't its the things you do by habit without thinking that make it worst
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You can prepare something that pre logged for you to pick at.

Or you could change you attitude towards picking and attempt to abstain.
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    when i'm feeling hungry i always have a big glass of water just incase its thirst instead of hunger causing it, if that still doesn't work then i head for the nutella jar or my graze snack boxes
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Water!
  • pattyebricker
    pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just stop it
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I added pre lunch snacks option, afternoon snack & after tea (dinner) snack. So they're set out at set times. That way when I log them I can see what snack I had when. I snack on fruit, yoghurt, occasional crisps & low cal treats. If you're tempted at work, take in a healthy choc nut bar, I found a nice one from Special K its only 76 cal. Or you can find a low cal biscuit to keep just. In case biscuits go round the office. Or limit yourself to accepting just the one biccy :)

You need to become more snack aware. Be aware of whether you are hungry or a bit pecking. I know sometimes we can eat mindlessly ie not realising it. Tale control of what and when you eat. Self awareness is really helping me :)
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Any tips on the water for the weekend when you are really busy/active? I find that during the week it is easy - I am sitting at a desk all day and I can just have a big container there and fill it up as much as I need, but on the weekend I'm running around, doing different things and it's hard to remember to drink it, let alone fill up a bottle and take it to the store, etc
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Some self control, maybe?
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Extra water, protein shake, nuts, fruits. These will all help curb the snacking! Good luck!!
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Its a bad habit. My mantra is NOT ONE BITE! You know one bite leads to another. If all else fails ah I kid you not. Bring out the tape and yes put it over your mouth. :-) Tells your brain you are serious :laugh:
  • ackdyolen
    ackdyolen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I chew mint sugar-free gum when I'm cooking -- TOTALLY keeps me from snacking! You sound so much like me, I do the exact same thing with snacks. I know I'm not hungry but if it's there.... well.... LOL! I highly recommend chewing gum (or a small mint). Or brush your teeth before cooking. For me, anything minty makes me not want to eat anything soon because it doesn't mix.
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Any tips on the water for the weekend when you are really busy/active? I find that during the week it is easy - I am sitting at a desk all day and I can just have a big container there and fill it up as much as I need, but on the weekend I'm running around, doing different things and it's hard to remember to drink it, let alone fill up a bottle and take it to the store, etc

There is only one solution. Pack bottles with you. :smile:
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's kind of a pain but try logging all those snacks BEFORE eating them. I find that most of what I typically snack on just isn't worth the calories. That being said, my total weakness is Clancy's Ranch Veggie Straws. I always find room in my calorie count to snack on a handful of those. ;)
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You probably already know the answer. Planning and willpower. I try to plan my eating and log it early in the day so I know what and when I'm getting something. There's always the next thing on the list to look forward to. I also try to avoid situations where there is going to be food that I need to stay away from. If you must nibble in between keep some veggies prepared and ready to grab.
  • anabarbarosie
    anabarbarosie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's not okay to cut from your healthy meals in order to integrate the simple carbohydrates (with fast release) - which are fattening in the long run (for some, not that long). The 500 calories taken from these snacks are not equal to those you eat on a normal basis - just look at the nutritional values.
    As others said before me, eat/chew something else or drink water meanwhile you're preparing your son's dinner - try to control your cravings. In time, you'll get used to abstaining from empty calories. You need to stop being an "opportunist snacker" if you want to lose weight effectively :)