High Protein, Low Carb Breakfast Ideas

Options
Hey everyone :)
I`m trying to find tasty high protein, low carb, low cal breakfast ideas that dont involve eggs! Im getting bored of scrambled eggs for brekkie! I dont have a blender so I cant do smoothies either :/

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I usually do 2 low fat string cheeses or cottage cheese...
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, or I sometimes do turkey bacon with a low carb wrap and veggies (peppers, onions).
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    Ooohh, good topic. Unfortunately i can't answer it for you (sorry) but i'll be interested in any ideas suggested :smile:
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Cottage cheese, you can add fruits and nuts.

Tofu...if you can get creative.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    How about Greek yogurt? I like Chobani fat-free Greek yogurt. I have a 6-oz container of strawberry in front of me. 140 calories, 14 g protein, 20% of your calcium.
  • buffalorain
    buffalorain Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yogurt (try brown cow vanilla greek...lowest carb one I've found 110/12/0/14) with some fresh fruit stirred in...sprinkle with a few granola crumbs! Yum!
  • buffalorain
    buffalorain Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Jinx!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    mmm greek yogurt. Why not do plain oatmeal but add egg whites to it for protein? I do that a lot.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, yes! I love to mix 1/2 c Kashi Go Lean Crunch in with my yogurt!!! As someone else pointed out, it makes a great low-cal, high-protein combo.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oooh...I like the arnold's bagel thin idea except I would do peanut or almond butter! The orowheat sandwich thins are also lower in carbs than regular bread. Or try those wasa bread crisps with some cream cheese.

Good luck!
  • send2steph
    Options
    If you're trying to stay ultra low carb (no grain), Wal-Mart now has frozen premade turkey sausage patties. The pork ones are great, but are very high in fat. The turkey ones are pretty good and healthier for you. Try them with a slice of cheese between two patties. Quick, easy to fix and easy to carry with you out the door.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    For the past 2 months I've given up my 150 cal all bran and milk breakfast for something more substantial, chocolate banana protein smoothie. It is sooooooooo delicious <250 calories and keeps me full b/c of the protein.

I make it in the morning (lunches at night for the sake of time) and it’s so quick. I can even rinse my blender and put it on the drying rack right away so there is no need to scrub down a sticky blender when I come home from work.
  • send2steph
    Options
    I did Protein Power back in the late 90's, early 2000's... a lot like Atkins. Most of what's being suggested here wouldn't work on that diet. My husband is doing it again right now. I'm doing something closer to South Beach. Anyway, wanted to give you the background.

Here's another idea. I tried looking for the original, but couldn't find it. When I did it, I used psyllium husk fiber, and I don't recall there being an egg...

"Current" version on http://www.proteinpower.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46

CREAM OF 'WHEAT' -- 21g protein, 6g ECC

Recipe By : provided by Laura\Tortoise from PPBBS
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time : 10 min.
    Categories : eggs&dairy, vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1/2 cup ricotta cheese
    4 tbs heavy cream
    1 egg
    1 dash vanilla
    1 pinch ground cinnamon
    1 pkt Splenda (optional)

Mix and heat over med heat untill grainy. Gaelen's note...using half and
    half instead of heavy cream will reduce fat to 27g.

Then add a little vanilla, cinamon, and fake sugar to taste

Variations:
    "Chocolate Brownie": 1Tb Cocoa, 1/2 oz walnuts. Add 2.9ecc
    "Maple/Pecan": Drizzle 1 tsp. SF Maple syrup on top and use 1/2 oz of Pecans.
    Add 2.1ecc
    "Apple/Cinnemon": 2 Tb applesauce on top, plus 1/2 oz walnuts. Note: I don't mix the
    applesauce in as you loose the flavor, so I just put it on top. Add 5.2ecc
    "Savory": Omit the sf sweetner and vanilla. Add a dash of your favorite herb blend to the mix.
    I use Penzey's Fox Point. Add 1/2 oz. shredded Cheddar or Parmesan cheese to the top
    before serving. Note: Like the applesauce, the cheddar flavor get's lost in the mix so I
    add that to the top. Parmesan is a stronger flavor and can be mixed in. Add Ecc:1 Pro: 4

SF = Sugar Free. Penzey Spices can be ordered at: www.penzey.com

from the PPBBS files, via Laura/Tortoise

Per Serving : 487 Calories; 42g Fat (78.1% calories from fat); 21g Protein;
    6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 331mg Cholesterol; 181mg Sodium.
    Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 7 Fat.

Let me see what I've got in my paper recipes... Okay, here we go:
    1 scoop protein powder
    2 T cream
    2 T water
    whisk together
    add 1/2 c whole milk ricotta
    1 T psyllium husk
    flavor to taste - try a sprinkle of cinnamon, pat of butter and sweetener to taste.
    Microwave until warm - not too hot or turns to "rubber" because the pysllium husk will makes it set up.

It's definitely a different texture, but very much like a hot cereal - which if you've been low carbing for a while, it's a welcome change of pace.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why you want low carb in the morning. It's better to get your carbs in during breakfast and lunch and your dinner should be your low carb meal of the day. You should try to incorporate protein, carbs, and healthy fat to give you enough energy and leave you full through out the day.
  • mollydog33
    Options
    One of my favorite's...Muffin in a Mug....1/4 cup flax meal, 1 tsp. bking powder, 1 tsp sweetner, cinnamon to taste, 1 tbsp butter and 1 egg. Mix all in a coffee mug, microwave for 1 minute...MMMMMM...I have mine with cream cheese...peanut butter is also delish. Can find more info on the Atkins site.
  • tallib
    tallib Posts: 13
    Options
    I probably should have mentioned that I`m lactose intolerant right? lol.
    Thanks for all the ideas! This is going to be so hard, I`m SUCH a fussy eater ¬.¬ Cant stand cottage cheese- possibly the most foul thing known to man so thats out. Couldnt eat yogurt in the mornings as it makes me queezy. Also, Im in the UK.
    Maybe I`ll just stick to scrambled eggs lol.

Red13- I dont want to cut carbs out completely, and I understand the need for balance. But I have pcos and Im a complete carb-a-holic, ANYTHING I can do to try and cut them down is good in my book!

For the past few years Ive lived on ham sandwiches, pasta and pizza :/
  • gigi42367
    Options
    I know your bored with eggs but a quiche with vegetables is awesome. I make it with egg beaters and use different vegetables, bake in a 9 x 11 dish, cut into 8 peices, package and freeze to bring to work. 2 minutes in the micro and it's done. I use different veggies in each and pick a different one everyday. I haven't gotten board yet. Add some spice with hot sauce while it cooks or so salsa afterwards. Spinach or broccoli are my favorite and don't forget the cheese! usueally swiss but cheddar is good also. Its only 130 calories, 5 carbs, 16 protiens...not bad.
  • gigi42367
    Options
    :smile:
  • de1974
    de1974 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm enjoying this thread.
    I'm trying to find breakfast ideas with a lot of protein. During the week, I dont have time to make eggs.

I'd never be able to just eat cottage cheese or string cheese for breakfast. I'd be gnawling my arm off before lunch.

GiGi - Quiche is a great idea. You can mix so much stuff in there that it doesnt feel like you are eating eggs at all.
  • breezey81
    Options
    I make a batch of Quiche Cups with Egg beaters, Veggies , turkey bacon and lowfat cheese (which you can omit if you're lactose intolerant).

3 Cups Egg Beaters
    1 medium zucchini, chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 onion, chopped
    3 strips turkey bacon, chopped
    1 1/2 cups shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese

Saute the veggies and bacon in a tsp. olive oil, season w/salt and pepper, cool. Once cooled, add to egg beaters and fold in cheese. Spray muffin pan* w/nonstick spray, fill each cup with 1/3 egg mixture. Bake at 350 for about 35 min, let cool in pan and then transfer to tupperware or you can freeze individually in ziplock baggies.

*I would recommend putting a baking sheet underneath the muffin pan just in case there's any spillage :)

This makes 12 quiche cups, and I eat 2 for breakfast. A serving of 2 is 130 cal, 18 protein, 5 fat. (I don't know exactly how many carbs but there's very little)

You can always substitute the veggies for whatever your preference is, and I like to eat mine with a little salsa!

Hope this helps!