How to go to 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    After reading this whole thread...Im not understanding how someone can ask how to eat more than what they are eating if they are on here to lose weight from eating too much. So.......obviously you know how to eat more than you're eating.. EAT! :huh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    These types of posts make me *facepalm* every time. JS
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. I will most certainly try some of this advice out. Feel free to add me if you want to see my diary/any progression

For the people assuming I am afraid of getting fat by eating more.. and have anxiety.. you can all screw yourself! I think it is absolutely hilarious that you put those ideas in your head!!

I know I will not gain weight from eating 1200 calories.. I am not afraid to get there.. it is just hard for me to INITIALLY get there on a regular day basis.

And for the people asking why I am striving for 1200- that is what MFP suggested for me to eat if I want to lose 2lbs per week

Anyways thanks again- everyone! Great advice, and EVEN BETTER laughs at the crazies!

MFP is a calculator, it spits out an answer based on what you tell it...it has no intelligence, it is not advising you at all its just crunching numbers. It told you 1200 because it refuses to go below 1200, what that means is that when it ran its calculation of what it would take for you to lose 2 pounds a week the number was almost certainly below 1200 and it bumped it up to 1200 because that is as low as it is willing to go.

Do not use what a calculator tells you as somehow justification for bad eating habits. Saying "its what MFP told me" is like trying to tell a math teacher that the reason you got the problem wrong was because it was "what the calculator told you". You are responsible for the information you provide the calculator, the calculator is not responsible for the answer it gives you when you do. It is more than likely that 2 pounds a week is an overly aggressive goal that is causing you to undereat in a way that will be detrimental to your health leading to muscle loss, fatigue and loss of strength.

MFP doesn't have a brain, it cannot advice you. The forums contain many people with brains who can advise you, that advise seems to be pretty unanimous that you should eat more than you are eating. You can ignore that if you like but you might want to consider it.

dhMeAzK.gif
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. I will most certainly try some of this advice out. Feel free to add me if you want to see my diary/any progression

For the people assuming I am afraid of getting fat by eating more.. and have anxiety.. you can all screw yourself! I think it is absolutely hilarious that you put those ideas in your head!!

I know I will not gain weight from eating 1200 calories.. I am not afraid to get there.. it is just hard for me to INITIALLY get there on a regular day basis.

And for the people asking why I am striving for 1200- that is what MFP suggested for me to eat if I want to lose 2lbs per week

Anyways thanks again- everyone! Great advice, and EVEN BETTER laughs at the crazies!

MFP is a calculator, it spits out an answer based on what you tell it...it has no intelligence, it is not advising you at all its just crunching numbers. It told you 1200 because it refuses to go below 1200, what that means is that when it ran its calculation of what it would take for you to lose 2 pounds a week the number was almost certainly below 1200 and it bumped it up to 1200 because that is as low as it is willing to go.

Do not use what a calculator tells you as somehow justification for bad eating habits. Saying "its what MFP told me" is like trying to tell a math teacher that the reason you got the problem wrong was because it was "what the calculator told you". You are responsible for the information you provide the calculator, the calculator is not responsible for the answer it gives you when you do. It is more than likely that 2 pounds a week is an overly aggressive goal that is causing you to undereat in a way that will be detrimental to your health leading to muscle loss, fatigue and loss of strength.

MFP doesn't have a brain, it cannot advice you. The forums contain many people with brains who can advise you, that advise seems to be pretty unanimous that you should eat more than you are eating. You can ignore that if you like but you might want to consider it.

dhMeAzK.gif

LOL!! This is fantastic and I agree well said! I will try to eat more~:laugh:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Yes my thoughts exactly!!
  • chelseababy22
    Options

Yes my thoughts exactly!!

hit yourself harder
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, pasta, nuts, beans, oil to cook, butter to cook.

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.

Those are good ideas.. I just don't want to make myself get sick by "eating too much"

If you get sick from 1200 calories, I'd see a doctor.
  • chelseababy22
    Options

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.

Those are good ideas.. I just don't want to make myself get sick by "eating too much"

It has nothing to do with calories.. I eat and I feel full-it can be around 800 or 900 calories.. I f I eat any more (regardless if it is 10 more cals, or 100 more, etc.) I will get sick...

Think of it like "stuffing yourself" and then someone say "eat more pasta" and if you do- you get sick.. take calories out of the equation.. that is what I am saying!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

It has nothing to do with calories.. I eat and I feel full-it can be around 800 or 900 calories.. I f I eat any more (regardless if it is 10 more cals, or 100 more, etc.) I will get sick...

Think of it like "stuffing yourself" and then someone say "eat more pasta" and if you do- you get sick.. take calories out of the equation.. that is what I am saying!

I'm not sure what your diet consists of but if say I tried to eat 500 calories worth of broccolli I'd probably feel stuffed and a little sick. That isn't an indication that I can't eat more than 500 calories though, that is an indication I should probably lay off the broccoli a bit. :-)
  • chelseababy22
    Options

I'm not sure what your diet consists of but if say I tried to eat 500 calories worth of broccolli I'd probably feel stuffed and a little sick. That isn't an indication that I can't eat more than 500 calories though, that is an indication I should probably lay off the broccoli a bit. :-)

Most definite! I will eat good sized meals- chicken, veggies, brown rice.. etc.. my plate comes out to be 400 cals.. and then I am full- do I stuff myself more?? The olive oil is a great Idea. and I am going to try that.. Those are little staples that will help me reach my goal without overstuffing
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Bet you can eat 800 calories of chocolate chip cookies and still be hungry for more.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options

If this were true you wouldn't have to lose weight now. I can't see your diary, but I would suggest eating an avacodo or some nuts for a snack and you will reach your calorie goal. I but now you're going to say that you don't like those things. So we're back to the beginning and then I'll say just keep under eating and you'll lose the weight anyway. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Most definite! I will eat good sized meals- chicken, veggies, brown rice.. etc.. my plate comes out to be 400 cals.. and then I am full- do I stuff myself more?? The olive oil is a great Idea. and I am going to try that.. Those are little staples that will help me reach my goal without overstuffing

It just comes down to substituting something a little more calorie dense and a little less fibrous if you are having trouble eating enough. So instead of brown rice have pasta or instead of chicken breast have steak. Or, if you like those foods you are eating then yeah drizzle on a little olive oil or add a sauce. Have chicken with a thick tomato sauce on it.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

if you're struggling to reach 1200 calories then i don't think you'll eat too much. if you're full but want the extra calories, then drink. and i don't just mean alcohol just have a drink of something with calories if you don't want to eat anymore.
  • chelseababy22
    Options

If this were true you wouldn't have to lose weight now. I can't see your diary, but I would suggest eating an avacodo or some nuts for a snack and you will reach your calorie goal. I but now you're going to say that you don't like those things. So we're back to the beginning and then I'll say just keep under eating and you'll lose the weight anyway. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:

Here we go with the people who make things up in their head! Love avocado and nuts.. I eat them almost everyday! It is little staples I was thinking of.. like the olive oil was a great suggestion!
  • chelseababy22
    Options

Bet you can eat 800 calories of chocolate chip cookies and still be hungry for more.

YES Ma'am I can! And I am not denying that! I can eat 800 calories of mcdonalds too and still be hungry a few hours later.. it has nothing to do with not wanting too! It is when I am eating good sized meals every day and looking for tips to make them more calorie dense.. I don't know what you are trying to prove!
  • chelseababy22
    Options

It just comes down to substituting something a little more calorie dense and a little less fibrous if you are having trouble eating enough. So instead of brown rice have pasta or instead of chicken breast have steak. Or, if you like those foods you are eating then yeah drizzle on a little olive oil or add a sauce. Have chicken with a thick tomato sauce on it.

I am glad to see someone on here with a brain that actually wants to help instead of prove they are better than me! Yes you are all better than me because you can eat 1800 calories with no problem!

I needed tips like the ones above from this guy.. so I really appreciate it. these are little things I have not really thought of and the reason for my entire post!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

YES Ma'am I can! And I am not denying that! I can eat 800 calories of mcdonalds too and still be hungry a few hours later.. it has nothing to do with not wanting too! It is when I am eating good sized meals every day and looking for tips to make them more calorie dense.. I don't know what you are trying to prove!

I'm saying, "Eat some cookies!" They are calorie dense.

People have posted suggestion after suggestion of calorie dense foods for you to try. I, personally, gave you a list of about 15 or 20. Freaking get a McDouble Kids meal with chocolate milk and add a side of broccoli. If you managed to gain weight, you have the information you need to know to hit a minimum calorie target.
  • chelseababy22
    Options

I'm saying, "Eat some cookies!" They are calorie dense.

People have posted suggestion after suggestion of calorie dense foods for you to try. I, personally, gave you a list of about 15 or 20. Freaking get a McDouble Kids meal with chocolate milk and add a side of broccoli. If you managed to gain weight, you have the information you need to know to hit a minimum calorie target.
    '

I see what you are saying.. and all the people who are telling me to eat more.. but apparently people are not seeing that I am FULL!!!!!! Are you telling me to force feed? Are you telling me to eat 800 calories worth of cookies and then regular food? I don't get it...

do you see how I was looking for answers like "use olive oil" basically looking for ideas of hidden calories so that I can reach my goal.

I am not going to force myself to eat more if I am full. I eat a ton of food.. I cannot help the calorie content.. that is why I made this post!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I cannot help the calorie content.. that is why I made this post!

I think this is what people are confused by in your post and in your approach. Why can you not control the calorie content of your food? You decide what you are going to eat so, yes, you can control the calorie content of your food. If you are overly full then you need to stop eating quite as much vegetables or other low calorie foods that are fiber dense and instead eat something else.

You are right that it would be silly to insist to a bloatedly full person to stuff more into their stomach but that is not actually what people mean, they mean stop eating so much broccoli and have a cookie. Its about substituting the thing that is making you overly full for the thing that will give you more calories.

People do things like eat vegetables and eat brown rice when they have difficulty being full when they reach their calorie goal...thats what those foods are for. If you are on the other end of the spectrum and you have trouble reaching your calorie goal because you cannot eat enough then you shouldn't be eating things like brown rice and broccoli, you should be eating things like pasta and potatoes until you can hit your goal.

The trick is to find the mix of foods that allows you to hit your goal and feel satisfied (not stuffed). The trap is to insist on eating only "healthy" foods when you cannot get yourself to your calorie goal. Broccoli and brown rice are nutritious yes but if you cannot get to your calorie goal with them you need to sub them out for something else.