Losing fat/Gaining muscle--is it possible??

Options
I'm 20 years old and I still have about 18 pounds to lose in fat. My daily calorie goal is 1200, and I'm often much below that, mostly because I'm really impatient when it comes to weight loss. However, I am also looking to gain some muscle in my arms, abs, and perhaps a little in my legs. Is it possible to be gaining muscle while losing fat? And how can I stay motivated if i DO manage to gain weight in muscle??

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    At those calorie levels.... no.

At more calories, with the right macros, with the right training history, on the right programme, with the right genetics, at the right age, etc.... maybe.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Look at Keto diets - (low carb, high fat, moderate protein) You would need to probably adjust your macros/calories and track them closely but it can be done. Read about "carb loading" while eating Keto - if you're lifting heavy weight to gain muscle mass this may just be the thing you're looking for. I can post some articles I have read recently if you are interested - or you can google "keto" and do some research.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can, but recomping isn't fast or easy. Your strength training and diet would have to be incredibly dialed in (look up Carb Backloading). You won't lose fat quickly and you won't gain muscle quickly-- It'll be a slow and steady change rate. If you're impatient, this is probably not the path for you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be gaining muscle while losing fat?
    Not the way you're going about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Possible yes. Not probable on a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be gaining muscle while losing fat?
    Not the way you're going about it.
    Exactly what PP just said....the body needs fuel to do anything...
  • knollmma
    knollmma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You said you're impatient with weight loss, and that's why you're eating under 1200 cals daily - but know that it is not the healthy way to diet, and you WILL gain weight as soon as you start eating normally again. That should be enough to scare you off the path you're on. Why work so hard to restrict your eating, when you could be eating 1200 cals or more per day, still lose weight, and be healthy?

Your best bet is to follow the plan laid out for you by MFP, and you will lose weight while building muscle if you do proper strength training.
  • knollmma
    knollmma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also, there's really no way around being patient. Weight loss takes time, whether you're doing it the right way or wrong way! Stay motivated by making this a new lifestyle- not just something you'll do until you hit your goal weight and then go back to old habits.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible, but you really need to change your outlook to exercise and food, especially if you've been eating at 1200 for a while. Check these out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

As to your question about maybe gaining scale weight, stop using a scale. Best case scenario is to get a pair of calipers and learn how to use them to measure your body fat. Otherwise use progress pictures and a measuring tape. I'm about 30 pounds heavier than what people think I am. When I was this weight before I started a lifting program, I was in a size 14. Now I'm an 8. Scales lie.

Edit: I lost the most of my body fat eating at 2200 calories a day and I now maintain at 2400-2500. 1200 just made me hormonal and cranky, like perpetual PMS, and I was still wearing my fat pants.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The scale does not lie, assuming it is accurately zeroed.

It just only gives one data type, when the smart approach would be to use multiple data types.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    take it from me I use to do the same thing in my 20's I would not eat much at all to lose weight and now (33) my metabolism is messed up from that. I use to do the hollywood diet and not eat for two days or the cabbage diet for three days but I gained it all back plus some. Slow and steady wins the race! eat more healthy foods that's all......
  • sandtisch
    sandtisch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. It was for me.
    Started a weight loss program March 1, including a body composition evaluation before and after the program. I lost almost 30 pounds of body fat in 10 weeks and gained four pounds of lean muscle.
    I ate at least about 1800 calories a day (that is my BMR) with five times cardio and three times strength training a week.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What most have already stated above!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Started a weight loss program March 1, including a body composition evaluation before and after the program. I lost almost 30 pounds of body fat in 10 weeks and gained four pounds of lean muscle.
    I ate at least about 1800 calories a day (that is my BMR) with five times cardio and three times strength training a week.

:huh:

You gained 4lbs of muscle eating your BMR....in 10 weeks?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu2WXWP9Lx-TBIt0dc2mQ3zyOvezPYhV9VhLR1O4sK-El_cHZtfA
  • chubbyschool
    chubbyschool Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i started out on the 1200 MFP recommended me. i am 5'8, 160. i wasn't really losing anything or looking any different, and i felt weak from not eating enough. did it for a couple months, then my twin sister said she had been eating 2000 calories a day and wasn't losing weight, but looking way better. so i started, and after 1 month of eating between 1800 and 2000 calories a day, with just 20 minutes off pushups, squats, and crunches a day, i am down from a size 12 to a size 10 (maybe a little less), same weight as before. i would tell you what everyone else is telling you. EAT MORE!! you will enjoy being able to eat, and you will start toning up!! :) good luck.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

and cardio 5 times a week...........some bodybuilders want to know what your cycle was.
  • sandtisch
    sandtisch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "At least BMR", as I stated, up to half the exercise cals back.

Just quoting the BodPod results. Believe me, I was surprised, too!