Carb cravings

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
I've been trying the 5:2 diet for some time now. I've lost 4 lbs quite easily (of only 17 total to lose) and feel good. Trying to not get too relaxed with my current weight drop, yet I still want to allow myself something on the days I eat till maintenace. I've only eaten up to about 1600 the non-fast days, and I probably should have eaten more.

I have a real carb addiction and I've been trying to switch to protein. I only have protein foods in the house, aside from what my roommate buys and sometimes leaves when she's traveling so I can just "help myself". There is ready made pasta and half a Galaxy bar in there now.

I had a wrap earlier today, after a long break from bread, pasta and everything. Now I just want something else so badly. Had reduced fat bacon and scarmbled egg whites and some red wine just now (evening here).

If you crave carbs, or sugar, do you manage to just force yourself to go protein instead?

I want that half a chocolate bar more than I've wanted anything my entire life, including my degree.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't use some of your daily calories for carbs? It's okay to work foods you enjoy into your daily diet. Are you planning on being carb free your entire life? The issue is, once you lose your weight, if you start eating carbs again and start eating them in massive amounts, you will regain all your weight. You either need to learn to enjoy them in moderation while you are losing weight or somehow figure out how to live without them forever. I would maybe eat half the chocolate bar and count it towards your daily total. Carbs do not slow down weight loss at all so eating them in moderation shouldn't affect your goals.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat carbs already, we're not carnivores. I eat over 500g of carbs. I'm not fat either, I used to eat under 200g every day because of how the diet industry wraps our heads in silly fad diets.
    I also eat mostly fruit and veg, they won't kill you. It won't "turn into fat" because the carbs/sugar is natural and the body knows exactly how to use it as fuel. Things like pasta and refined bread, probably not as much.
    Depending on what "type" (since some people consider chips, cake, and chocolate carbs) you are craving you are deficient in something. It could be a mineral or a vitamin (highly recommend to stay away from vitamins and just natural sources), salt (means you need more greens), dehydrated (water holds onto water, why people think this is bad I will never know).

Edit: I know you said you were trying the 5:2 diet. But looking at your diary(if it is accurate), you need to eat more. That is another reason why you are craving carbs. You can force the body to do something but you can't trick it in the end, it's starving for food and mainly carbs because it's the main energy source to fuel the body.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    If eating that candy will send you into a sugar feeding frenzy, then you're just gonna have to muscle through it and do something else. I have issues eating sugary things in moderation, so sometimes I just have to clench my fists and push forward without the extra three bars of candy after I've allowed myself one. It's really difficult, and sometimes I fail, but once you start trying to get it under control then you have to just keep going. I don't force myself to eat something else instead (especially if I'm not hungry), but I will grab some water sweetened with a no cal flavor powder or chew sugar free gum until the urge passes. Learning to eat foods in moderation is hard, especially when it comes to things like bread, pasta, and sweets.

On the other hand, if you think you can fit that half a Galaxy bar into your day and not go overboard then don't punish yourself unnecessarily. Eat it, enjoy it, and then move on to the next part of your day.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your friend! your body needs carbs as much as it needs the other macro (and micro) nutrients. I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies so I always seem to go over my carbs. go for it. don't be scured!
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    eat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's will not kill you and if you gain anything from that candy bar then your dieting wrong, I over eat every weekend almost and when I get back on track during the week every pound I may have gained comes right back off by Thursday.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Eat carbs already, we're not carnivores. I eat over 500g of carbs. I'm not fat either, I used to eat under 200g every day because of how the diet industry wraps our heads in silly fad diets.
    I also eat mostly fruit and veg, they won't kill you. It won't "turn into fat" because the carbs/sugar is natural and the body knows exactly how to use it as fuel. Things like pasta and refined bread, probably not as much.
    Depending on what "type" (since some people consider chips, cake, and chocolate carbs) you are craving you are deficient in something. It could be a mineral or a vitamin (highly recommend to stay away from vitamins and just natural sources), salt (means you need more greens), dehydrated (water holds onto water, why people think this is bad I will never know).

Edit: I know you said you were trying the 5:2 diet. But looking at your diary(if it is accurate), you need to eat more. That is another reason why you are craving carbs. You can force the body to do something but you can't trick it in the end, it's starving for food and mainly carbs because it's the main energy source to fuel the body.

This is bad advice. Not everyone tolerates carbs the same way. I also suffer from carb addiction. There are certain triggers - just like a drug addict that you have. I can't even tell you the struggle I go though with this. So when someone says they have a 'carb addiction' don't encourage them to eat more. This is also scientifically wrong. Carbs don't need to be your main source of glucose. You can also use fats/proteins by switching over and eating a LCHF diet. For people like myself and the OP, its the ONLY way we can control our cravings.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If eating that candy will send you into a sugar feeding frenzy, then you're just gonna have to muscle through it and do something else. I have issues eating sugary things in moderation, so sometimes I just have to clench my fists and push forward without the extra three bars of candy after I've allowed myself one. It's really difficult, and sometimes I fail, but once you start trying to get it under control then you have to just keep going. I don't force myself to eat something else instead (especially if I'm not hungry), but I will grab some water sweetened with a no cal flavor powder or chew sugar free gum until the urge passes. Learning to eat foods in moderation is hard, especially when it comes to things like bread, pasta, and sweets.

On the other hand, if you think you can fit that half a Galaxy bar into your day and not go overboard then don't punish yourself unnecessarily. Eat it, enjoy it, and then move on to the next part of your day.

I'm like this, too. Instead of completely ditching carbs, I'm now trying to find sources that don't give me major issues. I've just been doing this ten or so days, and I haven't tried to add bread back in, because it does tend to make me hungry, even whole wheat whole grain etc. etc.. But I can eat black beans, onions, potatoes, mushrooms, a small amount of raisins (gotta watch those, they're tricky), and all kinds of other veggies and fruits without triggering the crazy cravings (even a banana if I have it with some other food instead of by itself). I have a lot more energy this way, I really hope I can keep it up.

Maybe it's all about glycemic index? I don't know. I just know I am a lot happier when I'm not craving.
  • homemadehippy
    homemadehippy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would recommend finding carbs that work for you, if possible. I am carb-sensitive. I can eat all vegetables, fruit (except bananas) and whole wheat tortillas without a problem. Bread or pasta, even whole wheat, and rice, both brown and white, makes me hungry within 2 hours, so I always leave enough calories in my daily budget for a snack the nights we have rice with dinner. Then I'm fine. Bananas and anything with processed sugar make me HUNGRY within a half hour or so and it is really hard for me to get that under control if its early in the day. I just keep craving more. I can sneak in some sugar (I like the off brands of Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches) about an hour before getting ready for bed because I'm busy and then get to sleep before the cravings kick in. It has to be perfectly timed though - I can hold out those 2 hours before I actually go to sleep, but any longer than that and I will be tempted to forage for more carby stuff. For some reason, I can eat a whole wheat tortilla with my lunch and not have a problem with cravings. Try different carb sources and pay close attention to how your body reacts to each. Try to eat them with protein. Keep a log and look for patterns. Hopefully you will find a way to enjoy some carbs again.
  • vismal
    Options

This is bad advice. Not everyone tolerates carbs the same way. I also suffer from carb addiction. There are certain triggers - just like a drug addict that you have. I can't even tell you the struggle I go though with this. So when someone says they have a 'carb addiction' don't encourage them to eat more. This is also scientifically wrong. Carbs don't need to be your main source of glucose. You can also use fats/proteins by switching over and eating a LCHF diet. For people like myself and the OP, its the ONLY way we can control our cravings.
    You simply can't avoid carbs all your life. It's not a feasible solution. You must learn exercise control. Carbs will be around you for your entire life. You are going to need to eat them at some point. Avoidance will only work for so long. To achieve lasting weight loss you must learn moderation. Like anything it takes time, patience, and a lot of will power. Avoiding carbs entirely is just pushing the problem under the rug. It's still there, and eventually it's going to make itself known. You have to actually learn to deal with the problem, not ignore it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

You simply can't avoid carbs all your life. It's not a feasible solution. You must learn exercise control. Carbs will be around you for your entire life. You are going to need to eat them at some point. Avoidance will only work for so long. To achieve lasting weight loss you must learn moderation. Like anything it takes time, patience, and a lot of will power. Avoiding carbs entirely is just pushing the problem under the rug. It's still there, and eventually it's going to make itself known. You have to actually learn to deal with the problem, not ignore it.

QFT and emphasis
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Meh, not really. The notion that eating low carb doesn't require the exercise of control is nonsensical. In some ways it requires quite a bit more control than just eating balanced macros, because you have to be more restrictive with what you eat (and potentially where you eat), and potentially even when you eat certain macros. Just because someone decides to keep their carbs low doesn't mean they aren't learning how to deal with carbs in moderation. Quite the opposite actually, they are learning how to avoid taking in carbs in excess. Now, what constitutes excess may change over time as your macros change, but there's nothing special you learn by eating a lot of carbs while cutting - other than perhaps how to deal with being hungry all the time.

Not saying the OP shouldn't eat more carbs - maybe she should, maybe she shouldn't. But "learning moderation over carbs" is not in and of itself a good reason to set a high carb macro.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Meh, not really. The notion that eating low carb doesn't require the exercise of control is nonsensical. In some ways it requires quite a bit more control than just eating balanced macros, because you have to be more restrictive with what you eat (and potentially where you eat), and potentially even when you eat certain macros. Just because someone decides to keep their carbs low doesn't mean they aren't learning how to deal with carbs in moderation. Quite the opposite actually, they are learning how to avoid taking in carbs in excess. Now, what constitutes excess may change over time as your macros change, but there's nothing special you learn by eating a lot of carbs while cutting - other than perhaps how to deal with being hungry all the time.

Not saying the OP shouldn't eat more carbs - maybe she should, maybe she shouldn't. But "learning moderation over carbs" is not in and of itself a good reason to set a high carb macro.

QFT!!!!
  • vismal
    Options

Who said anything about setting a high carb macro percentage? I also never said low carb dieting doesn't also take self control. You're attacking the straw man here. All I'm saying is avoidance of an entire macro nutrient is a poor long term strategy for permanent weight loss. If you have a problem controlling yourself when eating carbs, focus on fixing the problem, don't just hide from it.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    For those that are carb sensitive or have carb addiction, it is a must to find out what your trigger foods are and what level of carbs is good for your metabolism. I've read books on binging and emotional eating (because I wanted to heal myself - I felt unhealthy and out of control). It is much easier to avoid the Oreos instead of learning to eat two. I've tried...hard...i didn't want to give them up! But, I feel so much better just not eating them. I feel much better eating lower carb. To me, and other carb addicts, certain foods are like heroin...I cannot stop and it is destructive to my health. I feel fantastic now and in control. Find what works for you!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Thought this thread said "crab cravings."

Was about to discuss delicious, buttery crab.

Re-read title, was disappointed.

abandon-thread022.gif
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Who said anything about setting a high carb macro percentage? I also never said low carb dieting doesn't also take self control. You're attacking the straw man here. All I'm saying is avoidance of an entire macro nutrient is a poor long term strategy for permanent weight loss. If you have a problem controlling yourself when eating carbs, focus on fixing the problem, don't just hide from it.

You seem to be assuming the OP is going no carb, but nothing indicates as much. Looking back, it appears she's eating between 50-100g of carbs per day. Nothing about eating 50-100g of carbs per day indicates she's avoiding carbs altogether, which is the behavior you seem to be railing against. Rather, she's just reducing carbs. My point was that it's a logical fallacy to think that going from 50-100g of carbs/day to some higher carb threshold is a good idea merely because "you simply can't avoid carbs all your life" and needing to "learn moderation." Eating 50-100g of carbs per day IS demonstrating moderation when it comes to eat carbs - there's no need to eat more just to prove you can.

Now all that said, the OP may well want to up her carb intake and there are some good reasons in favor of doing so. But doing so just to prove you can do it and to "learn moderation" is silly.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    For those that are carb sensitive or have carb addiction, it is a must to find out what your trigger foods are and what level of carbs is good for your metabolism. I've read books on binging and emotional eating (because I wanted to heal myself - I felt unhealthy and out of control). It is much easier to avoid the Oreos instead of learning to eat two. I've tried...hard...i didn't want to give them up! But, I feel so much better just not eating them. I feel much better eating lower carb. To me, and other carb addicts, certain foods are like heroin...I cannot stop and it is destructive to my health. I feel fantastic now and in control. Find what works for you!

This. There is no medical or nutritional reason for me to ever eat another Oreo. I can completely cut out pleasure-center-trigger foods like that even if someone puts them right under my nose. I can walk away or just sit and look at them and not eat them. Did that the other day with an entire basket of buttered bread. I found it wasn't a problem (even though I'd had two glasses of red wine. Now liquor, that might have been a different beast).

The problem for me starts happening after that first bite. I guess if some doctor ever looks at my bloodwork and says, "Meera, you have a serious snack food deficiency." I'll reconsider my options.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I guess if some doctor ever looks at my bloodwork and says, "Meera, you have a serious snack food deficiency." I'll reconsider my options.

:laugh:
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options

This. There is no medical or nutritional reason for me to ever eat another Oreo. I can completely cut out pleasure-center-trigger foods like that even if someone puts them right under my nose. I can walk away or just sit and look at them and not eat them. Did that the other day with an entire basket of buttered bread. I found it wasn't a problem (even though I'd had two glasses of red wine. Now liquor, that might have been a different beast).

The problem for me starts happening after that first bite. I guess if some doctor ever looks at my bloodwork and says, "Meera, you have a serious snack food deficiency." I'll reconsider my options.
    Lol exactly!!!