24 lbs down and feeling great about my progress. With pics!

Options
sassareno
sassareno Posts: 59 Member
I didn't really have a specific goal weight for when I wanted to take/share before and during pictures, but yesterday a pair of slacks I bought a month ago were falling off of me at work, so I figured it was time. :happy:

I don't know if a 24 lb weight loss warrants me writing about my history, but here it is anyway. Feel free to friend me if you've been on a similar journey or could otherwise use a friend!

Throughout most of my childhood and teen years, I never really considered myself "fat". I was never a stick and always had some meat on my bones, but I don't think I was ever considered overweight. When I went to college in 2003, I lost some weight and was down to around 120 lbs (I'm 5'1"). This happened because I was on a big campus without a car, and I was living on the 4th floor of a dorm without elevators. At the end of freshman year I could run a mile without stopping, which has always been a huge feat for me.

I stayed pretty thin throughout undergrad but my weight did slowly creep up. I worked at the university for 2-3 years after undergrad, and my weight continued to creep up. At one point I was around 180, and I went to Curves and used MFP for a few months, which got me down to 170-ish.

Enter grad school. I started grad school part-time in 2010 while still working my university job, then from 2011-2012 I became a full-time grad student. And this is when I feel like I really let my health go by the wayside. I never felt like I had the time to eat healthy and exercise (even though there were people in my grad program who managed to do so). I was so busy and stressed that I just didn't care that I ate crappy and wasn't very active. My weight got up to 200 lbs.

After I finished grad school in 2012, I thought that now that I had a 9-5 job, I'd have the time and motivation to lose the weight and be healthier. But I just kept going on with my inactivity and unhealthy eating habits. Not necessarily a lot of fast food, but lots of carbs and processed foods. By the beginning of 2014, I was up to around 215-220 lbs.

I don't know what snapped in me, but I found a quote that was something along the lines of "A year from now you'll wish you would have started today," and that really struck a note with me. I was really unhappy with how I felt in clothes, how I looked in pictures, and how I felt after I binge ate (which became an everyday occurrence).

I ordered a Cardinals shirt in a size XL, and when it came and I tried it on, it was super tight on me. And I immediately thought, "This would make a great 'before' picture." And it did!

My success comes from taking it one day at a time, counting my calories and trying to get more bang for my buck, yoga once/week, running/walking (interval training), and support from my wife, family, and friends.

My first goal was 199 (yay one-derland!), and I think my next goal is 170. I've been focusing on cardio and cutting down on calories and carbs, but I think that soon I would like to add in some strength training as well, because I'd like to be stronger and more toned. I'm sure yoga is already helping with this.

(A note for ladies with PCOS, and sorry to everyone else for the TMI-- Through my lifestyle change, I've managed to lose some hard-to-lose inches around my waist and I can finally see my hourglass shape. I also have had 2 periods in the last 3 months, after going 10+ years without having any period except a few that I induced with progesterone. I definitely attribute it to being more active and shedding some pounds.)

So, after all of this blabbering, here are some before and during pictures!

6.20.14.front.png

6.20.14.side.png

6-20-14-back2.png

Replies

• DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Joyfulkneves23
    Joyfulkneves23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow look at your flat tummy. Great progress and keep up the good work :)
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You look so good! Keep up the excellent work :D
  • Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You can definitely notice a big difference. All the best on your continued weight loss.
  • Churchbell06
    Options
    ! I am very similar to you height/weight wise, so this was really motivating to see. I am going to use your before/after shirt idea as well. thank you so much for sharing!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Wowsa! That is fantastic progress! Yep, there's an hourglass figure right there, fo so! Can you imagine what's going to be at your goal? I can, and it will be amazing! Congrats on the progress, and I wish you well on the rest of your journey! Very inspiring! :flowerforyou:
  • saraj9999
    saraj9999 Posts: 18
    Options
    Great progress! You can definitely see a big difference. Keep up the good work.:happy:
  • peacheswi
    peacheswi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well Done!!
  • runsoborun
    runsoborun Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! :)
  • jessinicole1808
    Options
    Wow that's awesome u look great!!
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great progress!! Keep it up!
  • StephanieKidd83
    StephanieKidd83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Emmiee4269
    Emmiee4269 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That's just plain awesome!
  • candycvky
    candycvky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awsome!!!
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Great job and thank you for sharing your story with us.
  • lauralianalala
    Options
    You rock girl!! looking so amazinggggggg!!!!!!!!!!
  • RobPA1
    RobPA1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - inspiring!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!