Have you ever wondered if your are inspiring others?

I never really gave this question much thought myself. Then this morning everything changed. I logged into Facebook like I do every morning. Within about 3 mins I receive a PM from a man I grew up with. It's a picture of his scales. Read 199.6. I thought hmm weird. We never talk to one another. Just occasional "likes". I think opps he sent this to the wrong person. And I say nothing. A few minutes later he sends me a message and tells me that he's been watching my journey through FB. I post my bike rides, calorie burns, mileage, monthly mileage, pictures of my rides with the caption "This is my gym today...what is yours?" Along with the occasional weight loss and pictures of myself. I've always done these status updates for myself. And here is this man today. He tells me that he's been watching me? I've been doing so well it's been inspiring to him. He weighed 226 pounds in April of this year and wanted to weigh under 200 pounds by his birthday. TODAY IS HIS BIRTHDAY!!!! I was so proud of him for reaching his goal and telling him that and then I stop for a couple mins and just listen to him. He's thanking ME! Because of me and my journey he's reached his goal. He's healthier and happier. And he can't thank me enough. When I started this journey I was doing it for myself. Today I realize that our stories if we choose to share them have the power to change someone else's. And that's THE BEST FEELING!! We all have our daily struggles. I know I do. But if we choose to get up each day and keep moving forward, we will get there. These struggles make us human. And remember......you never know who's life you're changing!!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I have to admit it really picks me up when someone else notices. A few of my son's friends have commented on my weight loss and how I get out and exercise. They have seen me on the school track in snow, wind and rain. I hope this encourages them to keep moving and stay healthy. It is much easier to stay healthy than try to reclaim it later.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Great example Janna! You have changed his life as well as yours. Truly inspirational!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I'm tearing up. It's amazing how our little candle can light others.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    My sister told me that I inspired her to lose weight...I was shocked. She said that after seeing me do it, that maybe it's not so impossible. Man that picked me up.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Awww, that's great!

I inspire no one lol. I don't post anywhere but on here. The only people that know about my weight loss journey are my close family and friends.

And all but one of them are fat and give 0 f*cks LOL.

And as long as they're healthy and happy, I don't care either :)

If I do inspire someone, it happens in secret:smile:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Awesome! :happy:
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Four of my friends on my friends list are former co-workers and friends who decided to get healthy after watching me shrink down to a normal healthy weight. They all tell me they did it because I inspired them. It makes me feel good to see these wonderful women decide to take back their lives AND, it also helps keep me in check. If I give up and go back to the size I was, what will that tell them?
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    I don't think I have and I'ved never been told I have but I do hope that I am able to affect someone so much they will remember me for a long time.
  • Jannalicious
    Jannalicious Posts: 215 Member
    This man never said a word on any of my posts. I truly had no idea any of this was happening. So yes ...we may have no idea...and may NEVER know!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    I absolutely KNOW that I've inspired others :happy:

Years ago I changed my way of eating & started exercising, lost weight & joined a gym. My husband lost weight by eating what I cook, he's lowered his diabetes meds. Two of my coworkers have lost over 75 pounds each ....... they both exercise & one is now a spin instructor ! A few months ago my boss learned he's prediabetic ........ he is slowly changing his eating habits & walks a little each day ...... lost 25 pounds so far ....... and each day we talk about food and exercise.

It's all good :drinker:
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    That is really cool. I know my wife inspires me... she put on some weight with our second child (which she was way too hard on herself about, she's gorgeous) and then took it off through a lot of hard work and watching what she eats only to need back surgery and getting set back again, which she has bounced back from even stronger than before. If she can do it, I knew I could. But that is really cool inspiring someone you barely even know... in some way you've made the world better for another person by inspiring them. Awesome!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Thanks for a really great post.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    I inspired my fiance to lose weight with me and that jsut meant so much to me that now we can get healthier together. :)
  • Jannalicious
    Jannalicious Posts: 215 Member
    I inspired my fiance to lose weight with me and that jsut meant so much to me that now we can get healthier together. :)

I think that's awesome. Working on this journey with someone else helps so much. My husband joined me a year ago and between the two of us we have lost 155 pounds!
  • cardenalera
    cardenalera Posts: 18 Member
    This is so awesome! Totally true, we may never know we are an inspiration to others. I think it's so sweet that he let you know you inspired him!

I hear my mom telling other people about me, how I've committed to this new lifestyle and have a lot of willpower, etc.. She exaggerates a little :happy: but it feels good to know she takes pride in it. And my boyfriend is going with me in this journey too, just the opposite direction! He's eating a lot healthier and trying to bulk up, which he's doing little by little and with a lot of exercise. I thank him every way I can for supporting me but I know that if I didn't start doing this he probably would've stayed the same. Which is cool, I liked him before! :blushing:

Keep doing what you do my friend! 'Cause you rock!