Replies

• chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Got it- thanks all
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    A lot of research has shown that starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.

Starvation mode as most people think about it is a myth. See the Minnesota Starvation Experiment for a look at the real starvation mode. That said, the rest of that statement is shortsighted.

You are not fine if your body isn't getting adequate nutrition, something that is nearly impossible to do on less than 1200 calories (unless you're under 5' tall). If you don't get your proper micros (nearly impossible on less than 1200) your body will experience the effects of malnutrition. Some side effects, depending on the nutrient not begin met include, feeling tired all the time and lacking energy, taking a long time to recover from infections, delayed wound healing, irritability, poor concentration, finding it hard to keep warm, persistent diarrhea, depression and/or hair loss.

Don't eat this few of calories because unless you are being supervised by a doctor or nutritionist and following a very strict eating regimen, then you could be doing significant damage, possibly long term, to your body.

If you were doing it before out of ignorance, that's fine. We all start without knowledge and have to gain it somewhere. Now that you do know, don't be stupid and continue as if you still didn't know better.

Good luck.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A lot of research has shown that starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.

Starvation mode as most people think about it is a myth. See the Minnesota Starvation Experiment for a look at the real starvation mode. That said, the rest of that statement is shortsighted.

You are not fine if your body isn't getting adequate nutrition, something that is nearly impossible to do on less than 1200 calories (unless you're under 5' tall). If you don't get your proper micros (nearly impossible on less than 1200) your body will experience the effects of malnutrition. Some side effects, depending on the nutrient not begin met include, feeling tired all the time and lacking energy, taking a long time to recover from infections, delayed wound healing, irritability, poor concentration, finding it hard to keep warm, persistent diarrhea, depression and/or hair loss.

Don't eat this few of calories because unless you are being supervised by a doctor or nutritionist and following a very strict eating regimen, then you could be doing significant damage, possibly long term, to your body.

If you were doing it before out of ignorance, that's fine. We all start without knowledge and have to gain it somewhere. Now that you do know, don't be stupid and continue as if you still didn't know better.

Good luck.

Yes just looking for some knowledge.. thanks
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, pasta, nuts, beans, oil to cook, butter to cook.

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.

Those are good ideas.. I just don't want to make myself get sick by "eating too much"

If you get sick from 1200 calories, I'd see a doctor.

It has nothing to do with calories.. I eat and I feel full-it can be around 800 or 900 calories.. I f I eat any more (regardless if it is 10 more cals, or 100 more, etc.) I will get sick...

Think of it like "stuffing yourself" and then someone say "eat more pasta" and if you do- you get sick.. take calories out of the equation.. that is what I am saying!

I'm not sure what your diet consists of but if say I tried to eat 500 calories worth of broccolli I'd probably feel stuffed and a little sick. That isn't an indication that I can't eat more than 500 calories though, that is an indication I should probably lay off the broccoli a bit. :-)

Most definite! I will eat good sized meals- chicken, veggies, brown rice.. etc.. my plate comes out to be 400 cals.. and then I am full- do I stuff myself more?? The olive oil is a great Idea. and I am going to try that.. Those are little staples that will help me reach my goal without overstuffing

It just comes down to substituting something a little more calorie dense and a little less fibrous if you are having trouble eating enough. So instead of brown rice have pasta or instead of chicken breast have steak. Or, if you like those foods you are eating then yeah drizzle on a little olive oil or add a sauce. Have chicken with a thick tomato sauce on it.

I am glad to see someone on here with a brain that actually wants to help instead of prove they are better than me! Yes you are all better than me because you can eat 1800 calories with no problem!

I needed tips like the ones above from this guy.. so I really appreciate it. these are little things I have not really thought of and the reason for my entire post!

A lot of people here having been trying to help you and many of us have given you the exact same advice throughout this thread. If you're just going to insult the people trying to help you then I'm out.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    open mouth.

eat food.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, pasta, nuts, beans, oil to cook, butter to cook.

It's easy to reach 1200, to be honest. All those things up there ^ are high calorie and can easily be fit into any diet.

If you're struggling to reach 1200, I'm going to guess you're eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats or something. Which is healthy, of course. But only so if you make sure your body is getting the nutrients that it needs to run. So, go ahead, indulge in a little bit of butter.. it will only clog your arteries in excess.

Those are good ideas.. I just don't want to make myself get sick by "eating too much"

If you get sick from 1200 calories, I'd see a doctor.

It has nothing to do with calories.. I eat and I feel full-it can be around 800 or 900 calories.. I f I eat any more (regardless if it is 10 more cals, or 100 more, etc.) I will get sick...

Think of it like "stuffing yourself" and then someone say "eat more pasta" and if you do- you get sick.. take calories out of the equation.. that is what I am saying!

Bet you can eat 800 calories of chocolate chip cookies and still be hungry for more.

YES Ma'am I can! And I am not denying that! I can eat 800 calories of mcdonalds too and still be hungry a few hours later.. it has nothing to do with not wanting too! It is when I am eating good sized meals every day and looking for tips to make them more calorie dense.. I don't know what you are trying to prove!

I'm saying, "Eat some cookies!" They are calorie dense.

People have posted suggestion after suggestion of calorie dense foods for you to try. I, personally, gave you a list of about 15 or 20. Freaking get a McDouble Kids meal with chocolate milk and add a side of broccoli. If you managed to gain weight, you have the information you need to know to hit a minimum calorie target.
    '

I see what you are saying.. and all the people who are telling me to eat more.. but apparently people are not seeing that I am FULL!!!!!! Are you telling me to force feed? Are you telling me to eat 800 calories worth of cookies and then regular food? I don't get it...

do you see how I was looking for answers like "use olive oil" basically looking for ideas of hidden calories so that I can reach my goal.

I am not going to force myself to eat more if I am full. I eat a ton of food.. I cannot help the calorie content.. that is why I made this post!

"I can eat 800 calories of mcdonalds too and still be hungry a few hours later."

You came up with the solution yourself: eat 800 calories at McDonalds and then eat when you are hungry again a few hours later.

In fact, you CAN help the calorie content. You can eat boneless skinless breasts, or you can bread and deep-fry that sucker. There are lighter and less light versions of just about anything.
  • splott2k
    splott2k Posts: 5
    Options
    delicious healthy fats. 2 T of almond butter=200 calories. 1/2 c coconut milk=170 calories, both full of healthy filling fats, and go very well with fruit. :)

Oh, and also you can just eat full bone-in skin-on chicken thighs instead of sad dry chicken breasts. yummm....
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Edited because I responded with good advice before I read all the insults to others with good advice.
    So never mind.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    As others have said, nuts are good. I knew I forgot to buy something yesterday! A little olive oil will really up those calories, too.
  • Teenie71
    Teenie71 Posts: 52
    Options
    give someone GREAT advise and they call you names, thats nice. why even post here then? Maybe check out the blogs or something
  • likehemingway
    likehemingway Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    you didn't get here (MFP) having a hard time getting to 1200 calories, so it shouldn't be that hard.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It's like de ja vu all over again
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Suggestions that have been made in this very thread:

- Add butter
    - Have ice cream on a waffle cone for dessert
    - Include peanut butter, ice cream, pasta, beans, oil to cook, butter to cook
    - Put olive oil on everything you already eat
    - Fruit, nuts, yogurt, ice cream, juice
    - Make sure you are accurately measuring because you may already be getting enough
    - Peanut butter, nuts, protein bars
    - Peanut butter, milk
    - Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, full fat diary, cheese, ice cream, Greek yogurt, sour cream, nuts and nut butter, seeds, protein shakes and smoothies, fruit juices, dark chocolate, less lean choices of meat, full calorie sauces and dressings, etc.
    - Ice cream, peanut butter, olive oil, butter, alcohol.........
    - Chicken with the skin, Steak, Cheese, Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad), Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt), Fruit, Peanut butter or other nut butters, Nuts, Avocado,Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples), Dark chocolate, Salmon, Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt, Olive oil, Smoothies, Granola/sports nutrition bars, Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal) ,Beans and legumes
    - Eat higher energy foods with less volume, like peanut butter
    - Add two Tablespoons of butter to your food, eat almonds instead of eating more chicken
    - eat the same amount of food but make different food choices. No diet or lite versions, opt for the full fat/sugar. So 6% yogurt instead of fat free, 2% milk instead of skim, full fat salad dressing, etc.
    - Add 1/2 an avocado mixed with lemon juice and salt on top of a chicken breast or steak. Add a tbl of butter to your cup of veggies (or on top of your steak). Eat an oz (21-22) almonds with a piece of fruit or veggies for a snack. It's not a lot of food.
    - 1 tablespoon of olive oil gives you 120 calories. Drizzle it on your veggies and roast them in the oven or mix it with some herbs and vinegar for a salad dressing. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter = 190 calories. If you're already eating fruit or toast anywhere in your diet, smear some peanut butter on! 1 ounce of cheese will give you 115-ish calories. Again, I don't know what you're eating already, but add it to eggs, a sandwich, oven roasted veggies, or a salad.
    - EAT MORE CALORIE DENSE FOODS AT VOLUMES THAT SATIATE YOU. They did not say more food, they said choose foods with more calories.
    - if say I tried to eat 500 calories worth of broccoli I'd probably feel stuffed and a little sick. That isn't an indication that I can't eat more than 500 calories though, that is an indication I should probably lay off the broccoli a bit. stop eating so much broccoli and have a cookie
    - you can eat 800 calories of chocolate chip cookies and still be hungry for more.
    - eating an avocado or some nuts for a snack
    - at 800 calories of mcdonalds too and still be hungry a few hours later
    - Instead of brown rice have pasta or instead of chicken breast have steak. Or, if you like those foods you are eating then yeah drizzle on a little olive oil or add a sauce. Have chicken with a thick tomato sauce on it.
    - delicious healthy fats. 2 T of almond butter=200 calories. 1/2 c coconut milk=170 calories, both full of healthy filling fats, and go very well with fruit. full bone-in skin-on chicken thighs instead of sad dry chicken breasts.
    - eat some of the same foods you ate before you started restricting calories. Are you drinking too much water?
    - A little olive oil will really up those calories, too. Nuts are good.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    one slice of toast with peanut butter does it for me even if u nibble on it, It tastes so good I cant not finish it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    These types of posts make me *facepalm* every time. JS

Yes my thoughts exactly!!

hit yourself harder

Aww why so angry?!

You got plenty of advice from everyone on here. They have all helped you. If you cannot take the advice or even criticism for that matter, then I suggest you not ask a question that YOU said would cause an up roar. Would not have caused once if you didn't confuse everyone or were rude to them. If you are not happy with the advice given then maybe do some research of your own and come up with your own conclusions.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    How to get to 1200 calories?

Wait until after breakfast.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
  • klfoster88
    klfoster88 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My threshold is 1200 calories as well and most days I don't reach it either. I just look at calories more so weekly instead of day by day. I usually make up for my missing calories on my cheat day.

Oh and that stuff about starvation mode is not completely true. You have to be in a serious deficit before your body does that. If your not eating such a low calorie intake that you show signs of being malnourished that is not a worry.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have some 900 calorie days through the week, but I make up for them eating out another time during the week. Yesterday I ate 800 calories of good food, and my ice cream on a waffle cone put me way over my 1200 allotment.

Damn Yo, 900 calories is a good breakfast for me....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'll ask again, is it stupid week at the zoo?

What's the deal with all these silly "I can't eat enough, but I have so much weight to lose, it's so haaaaard," threads?

Has logic gone on vacation to the world cup?