can I still gain muscle at the age of 38

Options

Replies

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You are just trying to be provocative, right? I'm a 51 menopausal female and I have been adding more muscle by starting to lift heavier weights. Of course, I should have been doing this years ago but at least with age comes wisdom :laugh:
  • Sha1911
    Sha1911 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lol dude, you can gain muscle for many years to come, you'll just gain a little slower than someone younger.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 50. Just takes discipline....
  • MarthaQ2
    MarthaQ2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, Of course! Geriatric folks gain muscle why not you at 38!
  • lockedontarget
    Options
    Age has little bearing on building muscle it comes down to your own God given genetics.

While it's all in the stars and it certainly helps if you have a good physique to start with. No way can you gain or carry anywhere near as much mass at 38 that you could when you where younger.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Age has little bearing on building muscle it comes down to your own God given genetics.

While it's all in the stars and it certainly helps if you have a good physique to start with. No way can you gain or carry anywhere near as much mass at 38 that you could when you where younger.
    I'm 38 and have lifted since high school. I am much larger and stronger now that at any time in my 20's
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ernestine Shepherd didn't start working out until she was in her 50's. Now she's in her 70's. Girl, didn't let age stop her. BTW, I'm building muscle at 47, Ernestine and other women like her are my inspiration.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/ernestine-shepherd-bodybuilder_n_5037892.html
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This guy started lifting at 44........now 71.
    So much for not being able to gain after a certain age
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was wondering can I still gain muscle mass when I turned 38 ? or should I just give up?

You just want to have fun, right?
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    41 and you talk like that?
    You're obviously not aware of the reference.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You don't gain nearly as quickly, and need to put more work in, but there are a decent amount of people that didn't start lifting until in their dotage (which is apparently > 38 yrs old) and manage to put on a lot of muscle. Certainly enough that if you didn't ask them when they started lifting you'd think it was in their teens/twenties.

Is it as much as if they'd have started at 20? Who knows. Never seen a study on the subject.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Ernestine Shepherd didn't start working out until she was in her 50's. Now she's in her 70's. Girl, didn't let age stop her. BTW, I'm building muscle at 47, Ernestine and other women like her are my inspiration.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/ernestine-shepherd-bodybuilder_n_5037892.html

Thank you so much for posting this - now these women are also my inspiration!
  • Greyspectre
    Greyspectre Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Men who are older then you have competed in Olympic Gymnastics. You can still be very fit and very health at your age.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and just starting NROLFW and have every intention of gaining muscle. :) (I'd better; I have very little! ;))
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yes. My friend's dad started when he was your age and 30 years later he looks amazing. I honestly think he looks late 40's early 50's and I know he's in his mid 60's.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes. My friend's dad started when he was your age and 30 years later he looks amazing. I honestly think he looks late 40's early 50's and I know he's in his mid 60's.

This gives me hope. Thanks for posting this.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm 48...and I'm in better shape than when I was 38, 28 or 18. I was in great shape in my teens and 20s.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well I hope so because I'm trying to at 47.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    No. Life is over at 38 and you should take up some more suitable activity for an old person like darts or poker.

Steady. You can put your back out throwing darts. Remember to warm up before playing darts if you're over 35.

jeepers, sounds risky. think i will stick to playing cards...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    yes...41 year old lady beast-in-training here. :flowerforyou:

Just did my first Crossfit competition last week, came in 2nd in my division (no age categories in this one). Person who beat me was about my age. The people we beat were in their 20s. Doing first powerlifting comp in August!