Restaurant food

Options
Going out of town for for a few days on a business trip. I'll be eating in restaurants the entire time. Any suggestions (other than eating salad every meal) for not totally blowing my calorie count for the day. Any practical feedback or helpful tips is appreciated.

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Most chain restaurants post their nutrition information online. Look at the menu and nutrition info ahead of time and plan what you will order. Keep in mind that the chefs don't weigh anything when plating your food, so that info can be off by a bit, but its better than flying in blind.

If the restaurant doesn't have info online, try to stick to simple meals. Steak with steamed veggies and rice is easier to guesstimate than something with multiple ingredients mixed together.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Most chain restaurants post their nutrition information online. Look at the menu and nutrition info ahead of time and plan what you will order. Keep in mind that the chefs don't weigh anything when plating your food, so that info can be off by a bit, but its better than flying in blind.

If the restaurant doesn't have info online, try to stick to simple meals. Steak with steamed veggies and rice is easier to guesstimate than something with multiple ingredients mixed together.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Travel is hard. I spent most of the month of May travelling and it was definitely a challenge.
    For dinners I tended to rely on seafood or chicken for good protein with low caloric value. And I just wasn't shy about asking them to substitute sides for something healthier. Mashed potatoes? Nope - can I have green beans? Yes? Great! And yes, the occasional salad but usually with a protein in it like salmon or chicken.
    Lunches were hard though because I was in a lot of training sessions and they were always bringing in food that had terrible diet consequences. Once I noticed that trend I started bringing some things with me like fruit and protein bars to get through the day (one of the hotels I was in had a big basket of apples in the gym, so I'd grab a couple of those on the way out), and then at lunch I'd do the best I could - make a salad from the catered taco bar, eat the bbq without the bun or the mac and cheese, be the first in line for the boxed lunches so I can get turkey and then take the bread off of one half and combine them......
    So yes it can be a challenge but I was trying to make a mental game out of it - kind of like "ok, here's how I'm smarter and stronger than this situation.." :-)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Eat at chains that have nutrition info available online and look it up before you go into the restaurant, make you selections ahead of time, and log them in advance. This will help you stick to your plan.

Don't let the server leave things like free bread on your table. Ask them to take it away.

If you have a fridge/microwave in your hotel room, you have the option of higher calorie foods if you commit to asking for a to-go box and immediately putting half your food in it the moment it hits the table. Save it for the next meal or the next day.

Just in case there's no chain or place with nutrition info available, have a plan. Most places have some sort of grilled chicken..you can skip the bun if you want. Nearly everywhere has salad. Bring your own dressing if you want to be sure you'll have low-cal options. For nicer places, seafood that isn't breaded and fried is a great option.

Good luck! If worst comes to worst and you're in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a calabash place, you can always eat canned soup. There's tons of sodium, but if you don't have hypertension issues it shouldn't matter.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I agree about trying to get the nutrition information online. Also, when I go to say, Outback, I either get ahi tuna large appetizer or lobster tail (steamed).

Try to avoid sauces if you don't know what is in them and get things like butter on the side.

Fish and chicken (if it has skin you can just take it off) are always good choices.

I know you are more of a meat eater, so just look for the kinds of choices you usually eat.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Eat at chains that have nutrition info available online and look it up before you go into the restaurant, make you selections ahead of time, and log them in advance. This will help you stick to your plan.

Don't let the server leave things like free bread on your table. Ask them to take it away.

If you have a fridge/microwave in your hotel room, you have the option of higher calorie foods if you commit to asking for a to-go box and immediately putting half your food in it the moment it hits the table. Save it for the next meal or the next day.

Just in case there's no chain or place with nutrition info available, have a plan. Most places have some sort of grilled chicken..you can skip the bun if you want. Nearly everywhere has salad. Bring your own dressing if you want to be sure you'll have low-cal options. For nicer places, seafood that isn't breaded and fried is a great option.

Good luck! If worst comes to worst and you're in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a calabash place, you can always eat canned soup. There's tons of sodium, but if you don't have hypertension issues it shouldn't matter.

The bread is the killer for me. Texas Roadhouse hot rolls with the cinnamon butter! :love:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My plan on business trips depends on the schedule and whether I have a fridge. Often I can go to a grocery and get breakfast stuff there, or go to a deli for a light breakfast. Sometimes I even do that for dinner, if there isn't a dinner scheduled as part of the trip. When eating out, I pace myself by eating slowly, enjoying every bite, and putting down my knife and fork regularly. When I think I've had enough, I'll sometimes ask the server to take the rest away.

One thing I've discovered is that air travel and restaurant food combine to pack on water weight. On my last 6-day trip, which involved a 7-hour flight each way, I came home about 1.5 lb. heavier than when I left, despite eating more or less at my calorie goal. By the end of my first week back, though, I had lost that weight again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Grilled meat or fish with veggie side.

Avoid deep fried and breaded items. Avoid pasta (I have nothing against pasta dishes, but typically restaurants have too much pasta and too little sauce and the portions are huge). Avoid cream soups, but broth based soups are a good idea.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    enjoy your business trip and work hard when you get back.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    asking for a to-go box and immediately putting half your food in it the moment it hits the table. Save it for the next meal or the next day.

This. Just last night my husband broke his toe and we had to eat out. We stopped for italian and I got the chicken parm. As soon as it came I split the whole meal in half and only ate one portion. my husband ate all of his and at the end of the meal he was stuffed, while I was happily satisfied.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    asking for a to-go box and immediately putting half your food in it the moment it hits the table. Save it for the next meal or the next day.

I wonder how practical this is on a business trip
  • ApronMom
    ApronMom Posts: 16
    Options
    In the past week and a half I made it through two of my sons birthdays and my eldest sons graduation party, it was so hard! My mantra was "Do I really want to put this on my food diary?" It worked. Not only that, but I tried everything I just tried to keep the portions small, don't be afraid to ask for a doggy bag. If your hotel room has a mini fridge you have tomorrow's lunch ready to go. Just some ideas, they may not be what you're looking for but I thought I'd add my two cents.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I agree with saving half of it for the next meal....assuming your hotel has a mini fridge of some sort.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Going out of town for for a few days on a business trip. I'll be eating in restaurants the entire time. Any suggestions (other than eating salad every meal) for not totally blowing my calorie count for the day. Any practical feedback or helpful tips is appreciated.

A few days won't undo the work you've put in.

Make mindful decisions about food, eat, enjoy the food, move on.

You are going to have vacations, and business trips every year (or more) don't let food spoil them.

I doubt you'll over eat to the point of pounds of fat gained.

Eta : spelling - mi engrish is goood
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If you can eat at chain restaurants, you should be able to find nutrition info. I like to ask for a container right away and save half of my higher calorie meals for lunch the next day. You'll spend less money AND eat less AND have delicious food. Win-win-win.
  • kirstennindy
    Options
    This is a great topic for me! I will be traveling a lot in the next few weeks...mostly on a motorcycle (which makes it hard to bring healthy foods along). I love the idea of stopping at local fruit stands! I normally pick a salad with lean protein and a vinaigrette dressing if I am eating out and don't know the calorie count.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    Avoid deep fry foods, grill is good, no sauce like mayo or leave it out. Eat half of what you got and left over for to go. Or share it with someone else. Overall, just moderation. Have fun ^^
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Personally I say get what you want, but be smart.
    No need to deprive yourself. If the nutritional info isn't available, make your best educated guess, and split the meal up in a takeout bag if it's a huge portion.

Personally, I'm a big fan of getting a steak or some sort as my go-to for a restaurant I haven't been to before, and loading up with some fresh steamed veggies and potato. Nothing beats steak with broccoli and potatoes!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Stay somewhere that has a fridge and go to the grocery store.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great input. Very helpful!