How to go to 1200 calories

Options
12346»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I have some 900 calorie days through the week, but I make up for them eating out another time during the week. Yesterday I ate 800 calories of good food, and my ice cream on a waffle cone put me way over my 1200 allotment.

Damn Yo, 900 calories is a good breakfast for me....
    A good bottle and a half of wine :drinker:
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Put butter on everything. Or just eat butter.

LOL!! I am not trying to clog my arteries now

Butter won't do that if it's a reasonable amount. Butter is considered GOOD fats. This is something your body NEEDS.

Not saying butter is bad but I am pretty sure it does not qualify as an HDL "good fat"
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP, I had 45 lbs to lose. I didn't get to that number because I had problems eating 1200 calories per day. Neither did anyone else on this site who is trying to lose weight, including you, OP.

With 40 lbs to lose, set your goal for 1 lb per week (not 2), and just eat the same foods you have always eaten and that you plan on eating for the rest of your life in portions that fit into that calorie goal. It's really not as difficult as you are making it. You can still be healthy eating butter, ice cream, pizza, whatever, because health is the big picture, not one food or meal. A person who eats snack cakes all day doesn't suddenly become healthy because they had a salad; likewise you will not become unhealthy by putting butter on your bread or going out for pizza with your friends occasionally.

And stop attacking the people who are trying to help you. Yes, in this case, they are better than you - at weight loss - and you should listen to them. They are giving you solid advice to help you succeed.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have some 900 calorie days through the week, but I make up for them eating out another time during the week. Yesterday I ate 800 calories of good food, and my ice cream on a waffle cone put me way over my 1200 allotment.

Thats what I am talkin bout.....:wink:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

^Knows what's up. :drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'll ask again, is it stupid week at the zoo?

What's the deal with all these silly "I can't eat enough, but I have so much weight to lose, it's so haaaaard," threads?

Has logic gone on vacation to the world cup?

^^^^ this
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Butter won't do that if it's a reasonable amount. Butter is considered GOOD fats. This is something your body NEEDS.

Not saying butter is bad but I am pretty sure it does not qualify as an HDL "good fat"

It's healthier to eat a pat of butter than consistently be under your calories.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    A lot of research has shown that starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are eating when you are hungry, and eating HEALTHY things, you are fine.

This is actually not true... There are lots of reasons for the perception of hunger to be distorted such as illness, ED, medications, or hormonal imbalances. How much you need to eat is determined by how much energy your body needs to function not your sense of hunger in all of these cases. What you need to eat is determined by the nutrients you need to be healthy. If you are only eating 800 calories "on most days" you are most assuredly not eating enough to fulfill either of these basic needs, whether you are hungry or not.

To the OP: Getting more calories is easy: eat more calorie-dense foods such as nuts, nut butters, legumes and lean meats. If it is still a problem, add some whole grain pasta or bread. You don't have to eat a lot of this stuff, so keep measuring and weighing.

And honestly, if you are eating vegetables, fruits, legumes, lean meats and whole grains, you don't have to worry too much about eating too much fat *or* not getting the right nutrients.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    After reading this whole thread...Im not understanding how someone can ask how to eat more than what they are eating if they are on here to lose weight from eating too much. So.......obviously you know how to eat more than you're eating.. EAT! :huh:

Ugh, these kind of posts are insulting. Not everyone is here because they overeat, binge eat, or obsess over food. I don't have any of those issues and I gained 40 lbs in 6 years. I was a size 4 or smaller until I was in my late 20's. I have often skipped meals, ordered kids portion meals, and just ate fairly healthy. I have had two doctors and a gyn scratch their head over why I have gained the weight. They have tested my thyroid yearly. ( I have lots of symptoms) The only thing I can figure is it started happening when I got an IUD. Of course the GYN says that is impossible... Who knows, but i am now trying this to get myself to a happy weight.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

It's healthier to eat a pat of butter than consistently be under your calories.

^^ THAT...................

Is true!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    After reading this whole thread...Im not understanding how someone can ask how to eat more than what they are eating if they are on here to lose weight from eating too much. So.......obviously you know how to eat more than you're eating.. EAT! :huh:

Ugh, these kind of posts are insulting. Not everyone is here because they overeat, binge eat, or obsess over food. I don't have any of those issues and I gained 40 lbs in 6 years. I was a size 4 or smaller until I was in my late 20's. I have often skipped meals, ordered kids portion meals, and just ate fairly healthy. I have had two doctors and a gyn scratch their head over why I have gained the weight. They have tested my thyroid yearly. ( I have lots of symptoms) The only thing I can figure is it started happening when I got an IUD. Of course the GYN says that is impossible... Who knows, but i am now trying this to get myself to a happy weight.

OP claims to need to lose 41 pounds. She didn't get there by eating 1200 calories. Now she's claiming 1200 is too hard.

Logic is abused and ignored.
  • bluehydrangeas
    Options
    I can't see your diary, however....

I am someone who used to get sick from 1200 calories. I still do sometimes. I have gastroparesis (slow stomach motility), acid reflex, IBS, and a history of ulcers & gastritis. That being said, even I most days can hit 1200. I keep my diary private because there are days that I can't and I don't need the judgement/ignorant comments from people who think no matter what you can force 1200 down. Sometimes YOU CAN'T. I do not throw up when I get sick, but I get extremely bad indigestion. I bloat on the upper part of my stomach (as opposed to the lower, where most people bloat) and it gets filled up with air that will lead to a 6 - 12 hour long burp session, where I involuntarily burp about 2 - 4 times per minute. I am not kidding nor exaggerating. It is embarrassing and when I get an episode I can't go anywhere, do anything, etc. I just lay on the sofa and wait for it to pass.

Tips that will help, whether or not you have medical stomach issues:
    eat breakfast, lunch, & dinner and dessert/snack before bed. space it out about 4 - 6 hours, giving time for your stomach to empty the previous food. aim for 300 - 400 calories each time you eat.
    avoid whole grains and foods with a lot of fiber. I know - they are healthy - but they are not as easy to digest.
    eat less vegetables & fruit. too much bulk/fiber, and not easy to digest, and very filling.
    eat more fat (avocado, butter, peanut butter, olive oil, cheese, nutella, etc), if you can stomach it. fat slows stomach motility so it is bad for gastroparesis & acid reflex, but if you don't have that problem you should be okay.
    eat more energy dense foods. instead of a bowl of oatmeal & a cup of fruit for breakfast, have a muffin with peanut butter. instead of a fruit for a snack, have dried fruit & nuts. etc.
    drink your calories. swap out most of your water & diet/unsweetened drinks for smoothies/juice/milkshakes/protein shakes/ensure/sweetened tea, coffee, lemonade/etc.

Also, the more you eat, overtime, the more you will be able to eat without suffering. I used to only be able to fit 800 calories in on GOOD days, now I can eat 1800 on good days. It takes time though. If you increase that dramatically overnight you'll be sick. I increased about 100 - 200 per week.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories for a long time and my weight loss stalled. Tried everything and couldn't lose again.

800 calories is my breakfast. Normally eating 1600-1800 calories and my weight loss hasn't stopped. Diary's open if you want ideas for adding calories.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, however....

I am someone who used to get sick from 1200 calories. I still do sometimes. I have gastroparesis (slow stomach motility), acid reflex, IBS, and a history of ulcers & gastritis. That being said, even I most days can hit 1200. I keep my diary private because there are days that I can't and I don't need the judgement/ignorant comments from people who think no matter what you can force 1200 down. Sometimes YOU CAN'T. I do not throw up when I get sick, but I get extremely bad indigestion. I bloat on the upper part of my stomach (as opposed to the lower, where most people bloat) and it gets filled up with air that will lead to a 6 - 12 hour long burp session, where I involuntarily burp about 2 - 4 times per minute. I am not kidding nor exaggerating. It is embarrassing and when I get an episode I can't go anywhere, do anything, etc. I just lay on the sofa and wait for it to pass.

Tips that will help, whether or not you have medical stomach issues:
    eat breakfast, lunch, & dinner and dessert/snack before bed. space it out about 4 - 6 hours, giving time for your stomach to empty the previous food. aim for 300 - 400 calories each time you eat.
    avoid whole grains and foods with a lot of fiber. I know - they are healthy - but they are not as easy to digest.
    eat less vegetables & fruit. too much bulk/fiber, and not easy to digest, and very filling.
    eat more fat (avocado, butter, peanut butter, olive oil, cheese, nutella, etc), if you can stomach it. fat slows stomach motility so it is bad for gastroparesis & acid reflex, but if you don't have that problem you should be okay.
    eat more energy dense foods. instead of a bowl of oatmeal & a cup of fruit for breakfast, have a muffin with peanut butter. instead of a fruit for a snack, have dried fruit & nuts. etc.
    drink your calories. swap out most of your water & diet/unsweetened drinks for smoothies/juice/milkshakes/protein shakes/ensure/sweetened tea, coffee, lemonade/etc.

Also, the more you eat, overtime, the more you will be able to eat without suffering. I used to only be able to fit 800 calories in on GOOD days, now I can eat 1800 on good days. It takes time though. If you increase that dramatically overnight you'll be sick. I increased about 100 - 200 per week.

Thank you so so so so much!!!!!!!