tracking fruit and veggies

Options
zericaaaaa
zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
do you guys do it? I mean, I do understand that fruit is usually high in sugar, but I used to beat myself up over an extra banana throwing my sugar intake in the negative. I want to have a healthy relationship with food, and right now im feeling discouraged for eating three servings of mandarin oranges. since Im not completely indulging in tons of fruit daily, and veggies are so low in calories, do you guys think I should track it? I've seen vegans that eat like 20 bananas daily and have no issues lol im just confused

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could just turn off sugar tracking?
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    i didn't even know you could do that lol but is sugar super important? i usually focus on calories but i keep hearing different things so im not entirely sure where my main focus should really be
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    i didn't even know you could do that lol but is sugar super important? i usually focus on calories but i keep hearing different things so im not entirely sure where my main focus should really be

It's personal preference of course but, assuming you aren't diabetic or pre diabetic, I can't imagine why you'd let the sugar in fruit stress you out. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You should track everything that goes in your mouth. Why else are you even using a data collecting program?

As for the fruit and veggies you should eat what you want. On 1200 calories I get about 200 carbs daily and more with exercise so there is plenty of room for fruit.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

It's personal preference of course but, assuming you aren't diabetic or pre diabetic, I can't imagine why you'd let the sugar in fruit stress you out. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be

i have just had issues with eating too little and binging and all that, so the numbers really scare me that's all. but thank you. i appreciate the advice
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    You should track everything that goes in your mouth. Why else are you even using a data collecting program?

As for the fruit and veggies you should eat what you want. On 1200 calories I get about 200 carbs daily and more with exercise so there is plenty of room for fruit.

its only because I've had a problem with restriction and i am trying to allow myself to not panic over the little things like overindulging in fruit that's all
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    i am using a data collecting program to lose weight, not so it will run my life like it has in the past. i started at 271 and ate 1200 calories and burned 4-500 6 days a week. tracking every. single. speck. of food that went in me. i lost 55 pounds but gained some of it back because it wasn't sustainable for me. so that's why i considered starting off not tracking all my fruit and veggies for this time around
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yep, if it has calories I log it.

I don't watch the sugar macro. If I eat too much junk food with sugar it blows my calories for the day too easily, so I don't do it. If I eat a bunch of healthy fruits and my calories are where they should be then I don't think the sugar count matters. Fruits have fiber and beneficial nutrients, very important redeeming qualities lacking in sugary junk food.

Fruits higher in sugars also tend to be higher in calories. Bananas and grapes are hard hitters, high calorie. I limit their consumption in favor of melons and berries. You can blow your calories eating too many bananas just like you could eating too many donuts. At the end of the day, you need to be in a deficit to loose weight. Are bananas healthier than donuts? Of course! But you can still eat to many of them.
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fruit, don't let sugar counts throw you off. Fruit is loaded with fiber, carbs, and water to balance everything out. I don't consider it part of my sugar intake because it would stop me from eating it all together and that's no good.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Two ideas-

You could skip tracking your fruit and veggies and make your calorie goal exclude them. That's kind of how WW works. Say you want to eat 300-500 calories a day in F&V and you want to eat 1500-1700 calories total. Eat freely of F&V and eat 1200ish of other foods. In a sense, you're pre-tracking the F&V and it makes you not able to swap them for other snacks. Unless you do choose to down a bunch of bananas, you're probably not going to break 500. I lost a lot of weight on programs with unlimited produce and I never binged on it, but I ate a lot of it.

Or if you like to track it all but want to not freak out about fruit sugars, make a Fruit section in your diary down on the bottom. Track it there and mostly ignore it, unless you want to check a 'grand total' of calories. I do that now, too.