Whats your biggest hurdle?

Options
I was just curious what your biggest hurdle was?
I know my biggest hurdle and excuses are:
1) Finding time. Wife and 2 kids and 3 jobs.
2) Soda!!! Damn that sunkist!
3) Not meal prepping and making bad choices on the go.
4) Being consistent with my fitness and food
5) portion control

Those are pretty much the reasons I struggle when I do. They are my biggest hurdles I have to over come daily and I am learning to adapt and conquer :) What are your hurdles and what are you doing about them?

Shawn

Replies

• nespinosa3
    nespinosa3 Posts: 116
    Options
    Patience :( it's taken way more time than I thought it would and it seems like it will never end. I just force myself not to quit on those bad days and hope it gets better.
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Cooking, lol. I DON'T WANT TO! If only the healthy food would cook itself.
    Also, energy for exercise.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Mine would probably be sweets like candy, cookies and cake. I try to have a few small fun sized candy here and there instead of a full candy bar at once. I freeze cookies when I buy the bakery style kind so it takes some planning. I only eat once cookie a week on average. I freeze cake and cupcakes so I can have them on occasions and not eat the whole cake ECT.
  • fromaquasar09
    Options
    I'm definitely there with you on meal prepping and not making bad choices on the go.

Also probably maintaining motivation. I tend to be hardcore for 2 weeks, awful for 2 weeks etc. So I never make any real progress.

And patience. I lose motivation because I am not patient enough to see the changes!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pretty new here, but since a few people have added me as their friends, I've found THAT really helps with my accountability. (Stops me from talking myself into the " I don't have time", or the " I'm not going to go today". As far as the soda part (as I would really look forward to a coke every night when I got home), I started drinking a sparkling seltzer water as my daily pop. The Canada Dry lemon lime, as it gives me that carbonated, hit the back of your throat, without the aspartame sugary nasty taste.
    Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey!
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My hurdle is patience!

I want to get to my goal weight like right NOW......but it ain't happening!

....and i'm "okay" with that..for now. :sad:
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    discipline, you see I just want to eat what I want to eat. This is hard work. I have to set boundaries with myself say No you don't need to eat all of that! I finally got willing to do the hard work and quit being lazy. I don't like the consequences if I don't.
  • kelia21
    kelia21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Quick summary.....
    I hate shopping therefore I never cook..... Fast food is a killer
    Occasionally I relapse with sugar. It starts with a coworker bringing donuts, then sodas, then I try to stop and have withdrawals and I find myself going through cabinets trying to get a fix.
    My alarm clock.... I hate evening workouts, but sometimes my bed holds me and makes me feel so secure at 4:30 in the morning and it keeps that grip until its time to go to work.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Two words… insulin resistance.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Money. Healthy food is expensive and so are exercise equipment or gym memberships.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle has nothing to do with weight loss, that I feel total confidence in. My hurdle is maintenance. When I hit my goal finding a way to maintain my interest in my fitness enough to not lose track of my health.
  • lilac_duchess
    Options
    Fatfreefrolic, yes, me too. And patience. I find that last month I lost about 10lbs. Now my scale isn't budging and I feel like all of these different (better) choices aren't doing any good. I slipped today but tomorrow will be better.
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Staying motivated each day to PLAN-WORKOUT-LOG my foods. It's hard being around foods you love that others are offering. If I plan and prepare my foods each night for work, I do pretty well. Sometimes it's a struggle to stay motivated. Weekends are the toughest and I love to have a cocktail when I want, but too many calories. Work is busy and can be stressful, having a drink a couple times a week has always been my stress releaser. BUT-I don't always have control to have just one, like chocolate I have to eat the whole candy bar not just a bite. It's easier to NOT have either, but it takes will power.

It's also frustrating when you see little progress for lots of effort. Seems you can gain in one day what it took you a week or more to lose.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I was just curious what your biggest hurdle was?
    1) Finding time. Wife and 2 kids and 3 jobs.
    5) portion control

Those are pretty much the reasons I struggle when I do. They are my biggest hurdles I have to over come daily and I am learning to adapt and conquer :) What are your hurdles and what are you doing about them?

Shawn

For me?
    #4.
    #3.
    Beer.

I think my problem has been that I am inconsistent with food tracking, and then I go to get a couple beers, some wings, and derp derp, I screw everything up. "Everything."

I think the big thing is that I'm knocking off the beer, and being more cognizant of what I eat while I'm out. I dunno, I'm terrible at this, but trying to figure it out.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Getting confused on this site instead of focusing on what I know had worked for me in the past with beautiful results. That was my biggest hurdle.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Losing that one super special thing I've always used to cope with: shoving massive amounts of tasty treats into my fat mouth. I get apathetic. I get bored. I get sad and depressed. I would never turn to drugs. But food? Oh man. That gives such an awesome high sometimes. And that's a high that I can't really get when I eat within my calorie budget. So when I really need that fix, I pig out then feel really ashamed and guilty right after. It's a never ending cycle.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    food, sweets, moderation.

i've got the exercise thing down, had that my whole life.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Finding enough workout time with my busy schedule, social events, and stopping when I want to keep eating.
  • ehodgdend4
    ehodgdend4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

1) Finding time.
    5) portion control
    I have/had these problems also Soda was a big thing for me too but i replaced it with ice tea and lots of it, and one in awhile a diet soda or those flavored sparkling waters, if i dont have a cheat drink once in awhile i would go nuts.
    And portion control is one of my things im trying to get under control, when im hungry im HUNGRY, but ive learned what some food are really good for you and can eat a lot of, like spinach i can nuts on that stuff i could eat a whole bag and it be only 60 cal and 6 carb. one thing i will tell people is one day have a cheat meal or a cheat snack something that you just love to have but isnt really super healthy for you, have it but keep it in moderation dont go over board are all that hard work was all for nothing
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Adapt and overcome!!!! Ive got several buddies that tell me that.

Ive been applying it to alot of things recently.

Time and energy right now are my hurdles. After work im too tired to workout much. So I figure I workout at home for now with my dumbells. I do ab workouts also. Been thinking about yoga but dont know anything about it.

Once I drop 30# more I figure my energy lev er ls will increase and I will feel more up to going to gym.