What vitamins/ supplements are you taking and why?

Options
I am running low on my vitamins and need to go to the nutrition store again. They always try to talk me into something. Always protein drinks that I don't want. I take a multi vitamin, fish oil, CLA -for body sculpting, biotin for hair growth. What do you take and why?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I am 46 years old. No meds, no supplements. Not necessary. I cycle, SUP, dance and lift heavy.

Just eat well, work out, and save your money for shoes. That's all.

ETA: I will take Olive Leaf Extract and Vitamin C if I feel I'm coming down with something.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am 49, female and pre-menopausal. I check every evening on my micro nutrients and if my vitamins are not at 100% then I will take a multivitamin, an extra vitamin C (particularly in winter), a combination of vitamin D & K (recommended for women my age) and a fish oil tablet.

If I am O.K., which I am usually, then I take nothing. I prefer to get my vitamins through food, but then I do a couple of fast days per month, as for example, today and on toes days I use supplements.
    Stef.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I only take a multi vitamin, omega-fish pills and vitamin D (Ontario is allergic to sun--especially in the winter) :grumble:

I'll soon be taking calcium too add with my vitamin d dosage.

(Honestly. i do not think CLA pills do a better job than heavy weight lifting. But that's my opinion.......or fact.---save your money) :bigsmile:
  • Iwantchange_22
    Iwantchange_22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take " multivitamin with krill oil"
    because i honestly don't eat a lot of vegetables or fish. :\

I used to take vitamin c before getting the multivitamin.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Dr. Furhman's women's multivitamins- general health
    Fish oil- brain health, anti-inflammatory
    Magnesium citrate- anxiety and bowel regularity
    Vitamin d3 7,000 IU- lots of benefits
  • Snailman44
    Snailman44 Posts: 25
    Options
    The very minimum if you listen to people like Dr. Oz(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc1fhvN-NoY) is a multi vit,an extra vitamin D as many multi vits are low in D and fish oil. Myself i'm into weight lifting so i take it a little farther and have a pre and post workout shake. For the average Joe that is more then enough.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I take a MegaRed when I don't eat fish.
    I take Citrical when I didn't get enough calcium from food
    I take one iron tablet a week if I didn't met my iron goal.
    I take a liquid vitamin A&C if I didn't eat enough fruits and veggies.
    I take a probiotic nearly every day.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I take (or I'm supposed to take) an iron pill. I take a multi if I don't get enough veggies in. I take fish oil if I remember. I drink protein shakes on lift day (post workout. I eat cereal as my pre-workout. It's a lifestyle choice.)
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin designed for women 50+ every day. I just want to make sure I'm getting all the vitamins and nutrients my body needs while eating at a calorie deficit. But, I took one daily even before I started this new healthy lifestyle and will continue to take one once I reach goal and go into maintenance.

I also started taking a biotin supplement every day a few months ago when I noticed my hair seemed to be falling out more than usual. It's healthy shiny and thick again, my skin is the softest it's ever been and my nails grow like crazy. I don't know if that's a result of the biotin or because I drink so much water now. Could be a combination of the two, but I'm satisfied with the results either way.

I took a daily iron supplement for awhile, thinking perhaps that was the reason for the loss of hair and because I have tiny blood cells according to my Dr. But I stopped taking it when it made me horribly constipated and my poo was black. o.O (sorry for the tmi)...

On a side note, I haven't caught any colds or had the flu in years. :)
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin, vitamin D, and iron (to keep that anemia at bay).
  • Snailman44
    Snailman44 Posts: 25
    Options
    If i had to choose only one thing to take it would be fish oil over anything else even the multi vit. Here is a good read on this topic. http://www.fish-oil-advice.com/benefits-of-fish-oil/
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, vitamin d, biotin and b12. Basically I just started taking these cause I am tired all the time. I have no energy through out the day and I usually get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Sometimes broken sleep. I was told to take vitamins. The biotin I take for my hair, skin and nails.

I think I rather eat a bowl of raisin bran every morning than take vitamins. 1 serving of raisin bran is fortified with 100% of your daily vitamins. Now that I am writing this, I am not sure why I didn't buy a couple boxes instead of 4 bottles of vitamins :frown: lol oh well. It's in our food. So eat up.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    the important vitamins are found in greens. i take multis for the other micros.

zinc and fish oil are the other two i make sure i have. no other supplement is relevant tbh
  • binniesmart
    Options
    I take vit D, mainly in the winter, flaxseed oil as I think it helps my skin, and when I remember, Perfectil Skin plus, as I have recently reduced my meat intake and don't want my hair and skin to suffer (purely vanity). Not particularly compliant with any of them, but I have a pretty balanced diet too.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a standard multivitamin until I run out of it. I have about a month left. After that, I'll take the vitamin out of my logs and look at what nutrients I would have been missing without it. Then I'll supplement those if I can't change my diet to meet my needs. I already know I'll need B12 and vitamin D, as I'm eating vegan and not even remotely interested in burning to a crisp in the sun.
  • jcreazy
    jcreazy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Fish oil
    Multivitamin
    Calcium, magnesium, and zinc
    B Complex
    Maca Root
    Low dose aspirin
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin and a B12 supplement (I have a vegan diet).
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D because sadly I hardly get to be out in the sunlight. I work indoors.
    Also B12 because I'm vegan... and that's it.