Potassium Help Needed

Options
meyowtime
meyowtime Posts: 42 Member
I've been logging my food for a few days here but have been watching was I eat more closely over the past month. I noticed that I'm VERY deficient in potassium every day. I'm only getting 1/5 of the suggested amounts. Other than bananas, which I'm already eating to help with this, does anyone have suggestions of low calorie sources of potassium?

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=90&tname=nutrient
    or
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

I like to use spinach in my salads instead of leaf lettuce - better nutrients & loads of potassium.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Avocado is often suggested for people to eat when they need potassium, but can't have bananas.

Edited to say I didn't catch the "low calorie" part til just now..
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    potatoes are really good too - all things in moderation!
  • chelee143
    chelee143 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps-

Here’s how many milligrams (mg) of potassium you'll get from these potassium-rich foods:
    Winter squash, cubed, 1 cup, cooked: 896 mg
    Sweet potato, medium, baked with skin: 694 mg
    Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg
    White beans, canned, drained, half cup: 595 mg
    Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg
    Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg
    100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg
    Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg
    Cantaloupe, cubed, 1 cup: 431 mg
    Banana, 1 medium: 422 mg
    Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg
    Lentils, half cup, cooked: 366 mg
    Milk, 1% low fat, 8 ounces: 366 mg
    Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg
    Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg
    Raisins, quarter cup: 250 mg
    Chicken breast, 3 ounces, cooked: 218 mg
    Tuna, light, canned, drained, 3 ounces: 201 mg
  • meyowtime
    meyowtime Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I can definitely get more spinach in my diet since I already like that. Looks like some squash or sweet potato might help too.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind too that the data base may not be the most appropriate tool to determine if your getting enough potassium. It is one of those things that is not on all product labels and therefore is not added to all items. Look at some of the items you have in your diary that you know have potassium and see if it is actually in there. If you are concerned, ask your doctor to do the blood work. No need to overload yourself thinking you're not getting enough when you actually are. :smile:
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind too that the data base may not be the most appropriate tool to determine if your getting enough potassium. It is one of those things that is not on all product labels and therefore is not added to all items. Look at some of the items you have in your diary that you know have potassium and see if it is actually in there. If you are concerned, ask your doctor to do the blood work. No need to overload yourself thinking you're not getting enough when you actually are. :smile:

^^This. I, too am having issues with my potassium, so I went to the doctor. I ended up needing a supplement, which he prescribed. But, if you aren't cramping and having other sypmtoms of low potassium, you're probably fine :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat. Whole. Food.
    I eat at least twice the potassium recommendation. Your body will get rid of extra through urine and feces. If you're taking supplements...well...good luck with that.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my food for a few days here but have been watching was I eat more closely over the past month. I noticed that I'm VERY deficient in potassium every day. I'm only getting 1/5 of the suggested amounts. Other than bananas, which I'm already eating to help with this, does anyone have suggestions of low calorie sources of potassium?
    The potassium log on MFP is unlikely to be accurate. The majority of entries on the database do not include potassium, iron and many other nutrients partly due to user error on entries and also because in most countries it is not a legal requirement to include potassium on food labeling. Unless you have a particular medical problem you are likely to be getting plenty of potassium I personally wouldn't worry but if you are maybe go and speak to your doctor
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Sweet potatoes

lots and lots of sweet potatoes
  • FlyersGirlrc
    FlyersGirlrc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Coconut water drinks are low in calories ( 40-50 Kcal per 8oz) and can contain 450-600mg of potassium. They make a great base for smoothies. We recommend it as a non food option for our chemotherapy patients who are potassium deficient.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say you're probably getting more than you think. Potassium isn't always listed in the nutrition. info unfortunately.

I've started looking for the entries in the database that have this info - generally the entries without an asterisk next to them will have more complete info. Search for "milk" and you'll find generic entries for non fat, 2%, whole, chocolate, etc, and options to log it by the cup, oz, or grams. Plus the potassium is there! I've found this for many of my entries for fruits, veggies, meats, and dairy. Takes a little bit of searching, but once you've logged it, it will show up in your recent foods and makes it easier.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    potatoes
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say you're probably getting more than you think. Potassium isn't always listed in the nutrition. info unfortunately.

I've started looking for the entries in the database that have this info - generally the entries without an asterisk next to them will have more complete info. Search for "milk" and you'll find generic entries for non fat, 2%, whole, chocolate, etc, and options to log it by the cup, oz, or grams. Plus the potassium is there! I've found this for many of my entries for fruits, veggies, meats, and dairy. Takes a little bit of searching, but once you've logged it, it will show up in your recent foods and makes it easier.

This! I had the same problem and started looking for entries with that info. Also, checked the usda database and added it to some of the MFP entries that we're missing the information. By becoming more aware and knowledgeable, I now have no problem meeting the daily requirement. One thing I do is make a big salad most days for lunch with romaine lettuce, tomato, radishes, bell pepper, red cabbage, and cucumber. This alone has over 1000 mg of potassium. I used to get horrendous muscle cramps after working out - no more since I started paying attention to potassium intake.
  • KimbaCan
    KimbaCan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for the info!
    I always have trouble getting enough potassium and I HATE that most labels don't show it now.
    I got bad leg cramps while kayaking/swimming last week. That's no good. (Glad I was wearing a life jacket for sure.)

I didn't know what the asterisk on food entries meant. I'll look closer at my logging this week.

THANKS!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for the info!
    I always have trouble getting enough potassium and I HATE that most labels don't show it now.
    I got bad leg cramps while kayaking/swimming last week. That's no good. (Glad I was wearing a life jacket for sure.)

I didn't know what the asterisk on food entries meant. I'll look closer at my logging this week.

THANKS!

The asterisk entries are user entered and are not always accurate, for any number of reasons. I try to not use them unless I have checked the entry against the label.
  • mustloveurself
    Options
    I suggest making your own recipes in MFP for everything using only ingredients that fully list all vitamins and minerals especially if your not just on a calorie deficit diet. It's a little more time consuming but so worth the correct information.