Size changes

Options
2»

Replies

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I went from 330 (at 5'10') to 300 before noticing ANY change! But I went down a pants size. I've since lost 20 more pounds, but haven't changed sizes again yet. Only my immediate family even sees a difference! It can be depressing when you want to see the changes, but hang in there. The body simply HAS to adapt eventually.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I lost 22 lbs and dropped from a 4/6 to a 0/2. But I lost several inches without losing any weight when I switched to lifting so my clothing size continued to go down even as my weight stalled.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that the next time you are in a store, try on a size smaller than you currently wear and see how it fits. I have found that I actually need 1-2 sizes smaller than I have hanging in my closet. When I was at my heaviest, I tended to wear clothes that fit a little looser. I needed room for the fat to go when I sat down....

Now that the fat is almost gone, I am finding that I prefer to wear my clothes a little more snug. The clothes in my closet "appeared" to fit okay until I tried on a the next size down.,, and then went one size beyond that. This was two weeks ago.,, I bought 2 pairs of jeans in a size 4... (was wearing a size 8 when I went shopping) I thought it was just a fluke that these jeans fit (were both the same designer-different styles)... Today I went shopping and found that other brands in a size 4 fit also,, I can sit, stand, breather! Needless to say, I ended up buying 3 more pairs of pants today and came home to empty out my closet from the clothes that are now too big... sadly, I have a couple of pairs of crop pants that still have tags on them that were a little snug in April when I bought them... and they are now too big... can't take them back as I bought them on clearance in while out of state on vacation. Someone at the local Goodwill is going to get a great deal on new pants!

For what it's worth.. .I wore a size 28 at my heaviest... :-) You may find yourself pleasantly surprised when you slip into a size or two smaller... that's when you will notice the different...
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I started to struggle to do up my size 16 (AUS) jeans at 90kg+. At 95kg+ I stopped buying jeans altogether because I could NOT deal with the prospect of having to wear size 18 jeans.

But my yoga pants are still 14s, and I don't have to stretch them to get them on. *shrugs*

I imagine I won't start having clothing issues until my body decides I've lost enough fat off my face and goes for my boobs (NOO!), and I'm not envisaging having pants issues until 80kg at least. So a long way to go.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, how much did you lose to drop a dress size?

I've lost just under 30lbs now and I'm not really noticing the difference or finding my clothes feel loose.
    It's actually quite upsetting :(
    Hi. :smile: I notice by your ticker that you have quite a weight loss goal. Congratulations on your accomplishment so far.

All I can say is to stay patient and keep working toward your goal.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Varies from person to person and when you're 'larger' it seems to take more to move between sizes.

Where I am now it's about 10 pounds=a drop in pants size.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    At 20 pounds lost I went out and bought a size smaller jeans (from a thrift store). Couldn't do them up, not even a little bit. At 30 I can do them up, when laying down and sucking in the belly like there's no tomorrow. And the result is the closest I've come to a muffin in months. My guess is another 10 and I'll be able to wear them in public.

BUT....my underwear is falling off (literally, there was a little dress incident when walking for my lunch :wink: )

So, I guess it would depend where you're losing it from.
  • SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Previously when I lost about 60lbs I found that at the larger/heavier end of the scale I had to lose more to drop a size. Once I was down to a size UK 14/16 it was fewer pounds to drop a size.

Also, at my heaviest I was reluctant to give in and buy the next size up. So I was only just managing to squeeze into the largest sizes and should probably have been wearing a bigger size - which meant it seemed like I had to lose quite a bit to get into the next size down comfortably. Does that make sense?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Like others I found that at the larger/heavier end of the scale I had to lose more to drop a size. Once I was down to a size UK 14/16 it was fewer pounds to drop a size.

Also, at my heaviest I was reluctant to give in and buy the next size up. So I was only just managing to squeeze into the largest sizes and should probably have been wearing a bigger size - which meant it seemed like I had to lose quite a bit to get into the next size down comfortably. Does that make sense?

^^I squished myself into too small clothing too. On the plus side it hella opens up the wardrobe options whilst the weight is coming back off :bigsmile:
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a long time to loose weight and the most I've lost is 22lbs. I'm now playing catch up to get to that number again.

What keeps me going is the fact that I know at the start of joining MFP I was wearing U.K. size 20 t- Shirts, size 16 jeans and size 18 shorts.
    Now I'm wearing size 12/14 t-shirts, size 12 or 14 jeans with a belt and size 12 or 14 shorts depending on the brand.

I still look in the wardrobe and wonder what can I wear but I know for one thing it's not going to be a size 20 T-shirt they are long gone. I'm working away at my ab and squat challenge this month and I'm hoping to see some body changes so I can feel good in my holiday clothes.
    If it was just about weight then I have failed miserably. I have realised it's not just what the scales show it's about my attitude to being healthier and liking exercise and actually getting exercise done each day.

We have a great home gym we also have a garden home bar it's all about balance lol! ????
    Yeah I'm still working on that.
  • easeintofitness
    Options
    I've lost 52 lbs from size 18 pants to size 12 (snug but 14 too baggy). My dress sizes are usually a size smaller.
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone :)

I'll just keep going and see how it goes, right now mid just love some size change with a holiday coming up :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't remember exactly, but I remember it taking a ridiculously long time before I needed new clothes.
  • Goldilukes
    Goldilukes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Sometimes I feel very disheartened because I started 52lbs ago at a size 18 and now I'm in a 12 some places, some places a 14 and I think because the stores have all their sizes screwed it doesn't help us understand our new true size. So many stores here in the UK actually changed their sizing (there was a news article on it) to make people buy more so if you are a true 16 you'd fit a store 14 in some cases and so on. This is no good if you get used to wearing a 14 then find yourself in another store having to squeeze in to a 16. It happens loads for me and it is a mind mess when you are genuinely trying to get in to better shape. I have no clue what I truly am because I can fit 16s 14s 12s 10s and 8s.....ridiculous but my 12s are falling off my butt now and I just go by that and assume those 12s are really 14 so I need a 12 really if that makes sense?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It took me about 35 lbs to lose the first size (size 16 to 14), so keep going!

^ This. But once I started changing sizes, it's been a steady stream of having to buy new clothes (THANK GOD for thrift stores). 35 pounds to go from a 16 to a 14. 10 pounds later, I realized that I needed to buy some size 12s. about 5 pounds later I had to buy some size 10s, and just yesterday I bought some size 8s that fit really well.

Keep it up! It won't be too long until you start having to buy lots of new clothes. :flowerforyou:
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I was wearing a size 12 jeans when I started. I have lost 10 lbs and can now wear the size 10s hanging in my closet