Constipation and Bloating?

Options
I am about to turn 20 and have been trying for the past 2.5 months to lose about 15 pounds (I'm currently at 144 and have 9 more pounds to go still). Anyway, ever since I startedto change my diet to a more healthy one filled with fruits, veggies, healthy fats, water, and tea I have experienved very frequent stomach bloating and constipation. What's even more rare is that I'm only able to have bowel movements when I eat. occasional fast food or a big restaurant meal.
I run 3 to 4 times a week and even do some strength training on occasion. I took a fiber supplement for a month and had no luck. Now, I'm only taking probiotics, which seem to not be helping as much either

I'm begining to become discouraged about my weight loss goal. Being 5 feet and 6 in, I'm currently at a healthy weight, but I was hoping to be able to lose some extra pounds. Being constipated and bloated all the time just makes it seem impossible!

Replies

• RhiannonBaugh
    RhiannonBaugh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your probably not getting enough fibre in your diet, i had the same problem. try changing to whole grain breads if you havent already and eat a high in fibre cereal in the mornings and it should help you out :) it did me :) i have whole grain bread all the time and i have all bran cereal in the morning with some fruit :) or try prunes too! they are horrible but they make you go! lol
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem and my dietician encouraged me to eat a higher amount of fibre per day. This has really worked and i'm as close to being 'regular' now as I can be.

I have been eating greater amounts of vegetables, baked beans, whole wheat brown bread and grain bars with a high fibre content (above 5 grams of fibre per bar). I also take care now to drink plenty of water (Barley based squash is also excellent).

On the weeks where I haven't focussed on this type of eating, I have gone right back to struggling again and I get bloated very quickly.

I hope that this works for you :)

Kaela x
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    the part about only being able to really get a decent movement going after eating fast food tells me you're probably not getting enough dietary fat! Believe it or not your body needs some dietary fat and if you don't get enough your bowel movements will be sluggish and you'll end up constipated and bloated..oh. Since increased fiber didn't help you much try upping your dietary fat intake. I'd bet you money that you'll see results if you do.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Water, Fiber and maybe a probiotic like kefir.
  • gpozosgil
    gpozosgil Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try adding some more healthy fats to my diet. I was sure that I had enough fiber daily, but I'll try to up it more and see if I get any results that way. I drink more than 8 glasses of water a day and I definitely eat a great amount of vegetables! I may look into switching probiotics. I'm currently taking the pink women's colon health ones.