Bacon?

Options
2»

Replies

• fasttrack27
    Options
    We raise a few hogs each year and my son shows them for 4-H. I am VERY particular and they are on specific diets. Not only are we rewarded with top-placings at the fair, the meat is outstanding - especially the bacon. You'd never buy from the store again! Far less fat and tastes way better. We now have a couple people that have us raise an extra hog or two just for their freezer. So, not knowing where you live, maybe you could find a small farm to buy from like this. Costs more but well worth it for taste and health
  • vicster9727
    Options
    I'm all about the lifestyle change, but my lifestyle must include sweets and bacon and a handful of other tasty things I enjoy. Just not all the time.

That is so true
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    We raise a few hogs each year and my son shows them for 4-H. I am VERY particular and they are on specific diets. Not only are we rewarded with top-placings at the fair, the meat is outstanding - especially the bacon. You'd never buy from the store again! Far less fat and tastes way better. We now have a couple people that have us raise an extra hog or two just for their freezer. So, not knowing where you live, maybe you could find a small farm to buy from like this. Costs more but well worth it for taste and health

This is where it's at! The stuff loaded with nitrates (as mentioned above) is crap. Store bought stuff, unless nitrate free/uncured, is bad news including the turkey bacon..

I try to buy from a farmer (will be ordering half a hog in February) and get grassfed beef along with hormone free chicken. Stuff is higher in Omega 3's. The store bought stuff is typically higher in Omega 6's (bad) from the feed they are giving the animals. Grassfed/pasture raised is the way to go.
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options

This is where it's at! The stuff loaded with nitrates (as mentioned above) is crap. Store bought stuff, unless nitrate free/uncured, is bad news including the turkey bacon..

I try to buy from a farmer (will be ordering half a hog in February) and get grassfed beef along with hormone free chicken. Stuff is higher in Omega 3's. The store bought stuff is typically higher in Omega 6's (bad) from the feed they are giving the animals. Grassfed/pasture raised is the way to go.

Dumb question, but when you but bacon from a farmer how do you know how many calories are in a serving?