I need some energy....

blankggal
blankggal Posts: 5 Member
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
OK, here's the situation. I'm 55 years old. I'll allowed myself to gain 50lbs over the last 20 or so years. As a result, I'm a type II diabetic. It's gotta come off so I can be at all of my grandbabies weddings! According to the daily reports, I'm not eating enough calories. In my mind, calories equate to carbs, which equate to sugar. Sugar is not something I want to exceed. Got any ideas, suggestions, comments or motivational tips?:frown:

Replies

• midgetrapper
    midgetrapper Posts: 60 Member
    i've heard that basically eating anything white is loaded with carbs. i don't know if that is true or not. but, the people i know who ovoid too many carbs don't eat white rice, white bread, flour tortillas, etc... i can tell you that wheat bread, rice, & tortillas aren't bad at all.
  • SongofJoy57
    SongofJoy57 Posts: 14 Member
    Good Morning Blankggal!

I am starting today also, and I will be 54 this month. Like you, my weight has creeped up on me also! I am trying to lose also. I don't know what you should eat, but I would like to have you for a friend! I am not a diabetic, but maybe we can find out together, I will keep an ear out for ideas for you. Thank You! Carmen
  • KatrinkaB
    KatrinkaB Posts: 11 Member
    Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live" is a great guide on what to eat for such problems. Basically, you eat no processed foods. I followed his book a couple of years ago and never felt better. Check it out. Like a idiot I didn't stick to that way of eating, if I would have I would be so much better off now. It seems one of the guidelines after you achieved where you needed to be was 90% of what you eat should be all natural and only 10% of what you consume may be processed.
    Good luck!
  • SongofJoy57
    Hi All,
    I agree about the white anything. I have been using brown rice, and love the Natures Own double fiber wheat bread. You can have 2 slices where I would only get 1 slice of the white. It is in a bag with purple on it. When I can't find that I just get Nature's Own whole wheat.
  • SongofJoy57
    Thank you for the tip Katrinka. @;~)
  • julwri
    julwri Posts: 3
    If you are not allergic to any kind of nuts, try Cashew Clusters (Sams Club or Costco). They are 150 calories for 5 of them. That seems like a lot but they go a long way to taking away the cravings and give you the needed energy.
    I hope this helps!:happy:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    HI! Welcome aboard.
    That's tough to be diabetic and not knowing where to turn for eating guidlines. Have you seen a nutrionist. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and my Dr. sent me to a nurtitionist. It really helped me know how to balance.

You can't avoid all sugars and carbs, you just need to balance them so they don't spike your sugar levels. If you eat wheat crackers with peanut butter, the peatnut butter is a protien it slows down the absorbtion of the sugars.

Try cottage cheese and carrots.
    I make omlettes using 1 Lg egg and 2 egg whites, add veggies, ham, turkey, what ever you like and some whole wheat toast, or bagel flats.
    Are you looking for meal ideas or snack ideas?
    Sweet potatoes also have less carbs than regular potatoes.

Best wishes. You can add me as a friend if you wish.
  • blankggal
    I've heard that about staying away from white food products. Thanks for reminding me! Blessings:):smile:
  • blankggal
    Thanks for the tip Katrinkab!:)
  • blankggal
    I'm headed to Costco in a coupla days. Will give 'em a try. Thanks Julwri ! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.