Smoothie Suggestions?

Options
rachelhaueter
rachelhaueter Posts: 41 Member
Hi all. I'm looking for yummy smoothie recipes. My big problem is that I despise vegetables and the texture of fruit sets off my gag reflex. Ive lived off processed sugars for most of my 36 years of being and I'm trying to change that. Ive had smoothies from Smoothie King and Froots but I'm not sure if they are any better than soda health wise. Id like to start making my own at home but I don't have any idea on the best recipes etc. I don't like smoothies made with yogurt or milk. Ive seen them mere with apple or orange juice and sherbert. Ive also read that sherbert is a big sugar and calories bomb. Would some sort of sorbet be better? Any knowledge would be appreciated. I really would like to have the smoothies for my daily fruit intake.

Replies

• FanasticllyFlawed
    FanasticllyFlawed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make a berry smoothie that you may like, I freeze the fruit so that I don't need to add ice (though sometimes I do still).
    4 oz pineapple juice
    4 oz carrot or mango juice (depends on what I have)
    1 oz raspberries
    1 oz blueberries
    1 oz banana
    1/2 scoop protein powder (not required, I do it for the protein and to help thicken it a bit).
    3 to 4 ice cubes if you like

Blend and drink. Without the protein powder it ends up around 160 calories (maybe a little higher depending on what juices you use)
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try using fruits that break up easy. Strawberries, blueberries, rasberries etc... BANANAS. They fill you up. If you dont want to use milk or yogurt, you can use water. The fruit will definitely give it good flavor and not water it down. Can also use apple juice, orange juice, veggie juice. Pretty much anything. Peanut butter, almond butter. Add some leafy veggies or some flax seeds. I could go on for days.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    We do fruit slushies we got the industrial blender the Vita-mix to handle the ice in this recipe
    We buy jugs of strawberry juice , no added sugar , and freeze it in small amounts
    The classic is to grab frozen strawberry juice, add banana add bunch ice cubes and blend to desired consistency
    Really low calorie and yummy
    Cam mix it up with any fruits
    I stay away from adding dairy things to keep it a low cal treat
    Let me know if it works for you
  • zephyr1975
    Options
    Instead of a fruit smoothie add a scoop of protein powder to your iced coffee and use it as a meal replacement. I have a couple of these every day because I love my iced coffee and i need to keep my protein intake high. In my iced coffees i also love to use a couple of pumps of Torani Sugar-Free Syrups. I have a bout 6 different flavors so I have a different one almost every day.

I had gastric bypass about 5 months ago so i feel your pain about processed sugars.

I love to make a Peach Pie Smoothie if you want something milkshake-like. I use a Magic Bullet personal blender. In one of the cups I fill it about 1/2 - 3/4 full of skim milk and then add about 6 frozen peach slices. I put 1 scoop vanilla protein powder on top and a dash of cinnamon. I wiz it all together for about 30 seconds and I have a thick sweet protein packed milkshake.

I also like to make a peanut butter cup shake as well. I fill a cup about 3/4 with ice,our over about a cup of skim milk, a scoop of protein powder, 2 tsp PB2 powdered peanut butter, and 2 tsp baking cocoa, I add splenda/stevia/monkfruit to taste. Wiz for about 30 seconds. and it is so good!
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump
  • chelseavanchilli
    chelseavanchilli Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love adding spinach or kale to my smoothies to get my daily veggies in, but if you don't like the texture leave them out - as for the taste, you won't notice it! Substitute milk for water, orange juice or coconut water (gives it a really nice flavour). The best fruits are bananas (adds great texture), strawberries, pineapple, mango (for sweetness), berries...you can even add avocado to get some healthy fats in.

This is an example of a green smoothie (if you want to try). Serves 2.
    2 cups spinach, fresh
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 orange, peeled
    1 cup pineapple
    1 banana
    Blend the spinach with the water first (eliminates little bits), then add the rest and blend. Serve. Tip: If you freeze the banana beforehand and then blend it in, it'l make it so much better!
    You can change things up by adding pear, shaved coconut, vanilla extract..
  • speckled_raven
    speckled_raven Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink a green smoothie every day made in my Magic Bullet. Helps me get all those good things in to start the day. Mine runs about 280-300 calories.

1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 single-serving container of nonfat greek yogurt
    1/2 cup pineapple chunks (fresh, not canned)
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 a banana
    1/2 a cup berries (blueberries usually, but sometimes raspberries, strawberries or blackberries depending what's on sale)
    1 cup of kale or fresh spinach (basically I just jam in as much as I can)

Greek yogurt, milk and chia seeds for protein and calcium. The chia seeds also have omega-3s and expand in your stomach, making you feel full. They also balance blood sugar and are full of fiber. Fresh pineapple aids digestion as well as working as an anti-inflammatory (which is great with all the exercising!). Banana adds thickening and sweetness as well as potassium. Berries are full of antioxidants. Kale and spinach are full of fiber, iron, and antioxidants.

It's very filling and tasty. I don't usually add ice, but you could. I like to drink it rather quickly as the chia seeds gel over time and I don't like the texture of it once they do. It tastes very fruity even though it's bright green!
  • reallybigtallguy
    Options
    use coconut milk - not coconut juice (the clear watery stuff) but milk made from coconut meat. Sweet, low in sugar, and thickens the smoothie just right. Less expensive then sugars and all the other sweeteners.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1 scoop of Vanilla protein powder
    1 can Diet Orange Crush (or Diet Sunkist)
    ice cubes

Blend until ice is all crushed and shake is desired consistency and enjoy. :) Yeah realy nothing more than an orange flavored protein shake but works great for my low-carb plan.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd mention, I bought the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender for $15 three years ago and it's still cranking out smoothies just fine so it doesn't have to be an expensive proposition.

I like orange juice, bananas and whatever fruit I can find for a reasonable price - berries, mango, melons. Yum!
  • justinlyman
    justinlyman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Typically for breakfast I will make a protein smoothie:

1/2 Banana
    1 Cup 1% Milk (You can substitute any liquid if you don't do milk)
    1/2 Scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder
    3/4 Cup crushed ice
    1 Kale cube
    1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds( I prefer to mix these in with a spoon after blending the rest)

I usually add a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of some other frozen fruit, depending on what is in season (Usually strawberries or blueberries)

Kale Cubes:

I also don't particularly care for the taste of veggies in my smoothies, so I do this:
    Take a head of Kale, and chop it up and throw it in the blender with some water and a little bit of lemon juice.
    Blend it very well, and then pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen I usually vacuum seal them in bags of four, but you could also just throw them in ziplock bags, they will just not last as long in the freezer.

I found that one cube in the above recipe does not affect the taste.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shelle1237
    Options
    My morning Smoothy (recipe is for two)

2 cups frozen berries (blueberries are good) partial defrost on the microwave
    2 tablespoons pea protein
    1 tablespoon flax seed powder
    spinich ( handful )
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Crystal light for sweetness and taste.
    Add water for thickness.

I've been adding a sprinkle of cinnamon over my finished Smoothy. Mix it in before drinking. It adds a nice flavor.

this serves two tall glasses at about. 275 per serving.

BTW spinich really freezes well. If it starts to "go" , we freeze it and use it in the smoothies. Tastes great.
  • rachelhaueter
    rachelhaueter Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This might seem silly but where can protien powder be purchased? I cant find any at my local evil empire (WalMart). Their health section and weight loss section is horrible. Filled with pills, fads, empty promises.
  • justinlyman
    justinlyman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually order mine from amazon, but you can get it at any health food store.
  • Jenniferrhoney
    Jenniferrhoney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 cup of 30 calorie almond milk, 1 cup of fat free plain Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon of stevia. This is a high protein, low carb and low sugar smoothie and it's delicious. I have this every morning!!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I love adding spinach or kale to my smoothies to get my daily veggies in, but if you don't like the texture leave them out - as for the taste, you won't notice it! Substitute milk for water, orange juice or coconut water (gives it a really nice flavour). The best fruits are bananas (adds great texture), strawberries, pineapple, mango (for sweetness), berries...you can even add avocado to get some healthy fats in.

This is an example of a green smoothie (if you want to try). Serves 2.
    2 cups spinach, fresh
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 orange, peeled
    1 cup pineapple
    1 banana
    Blend the spinach with the water first (eliminates little bits), then add the rest and blend. Serve. Tip: If you freeze the banana beforehand and then blend it in, it'l make it so much better!
    You can change things up by adding pear, shaved coconut, vanilla extract..

This !
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I always use banana as the base for any smoothie as it makes the drink much smoother. Then I chuck in 1 tablespoon of linseed (flaxseed) plus whatever fruit I have on hand. I buy pineapple, kiwifruit, and berries in bulk then freeze it and they become the 'ice cubes'. Some days I have a green smoothie and use spinach and other days I'll have a berry smoothie and omit the spinach (BTW spinach and berries together make an awful colour). If I'm running late for work I drink it in the car.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    Nutty Banana Smoothie:

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/2 cup low fat milk 2%
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1 tablespoon almond butter