Calories Burned timing

Options
So, my question is (I hope I explain this so it is understood) at what TIME should I consider my calories burned from exercising? For instance I did 30 minutes my heart rate monitor said 325 after the cool down BUT my heart RATE is still up. I feel like I should wait until my hate rate is back down to resting before I put in calories burned which would be 500. What is right?

Replies

• cybernet00
    cybernet00 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump. Curious too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your HR has nothing to do with your calorie burn...not directly anyway. If there was a direct correlation I would just have someone pop into my office every 5 minutes and give me a good scare and I'd be all lean and what not.

Your HR is simply used in an algorithm to determine an estimate of what % of VO2 max you are working. This also requires the exercise event to be an aerobic one...anaerobic exercises like weight lifting do not provide for a very good estimate of VO2 and thus any calorie estimate would be overly inflated for such events as the HRM would read big spikes in HR as big calorie burns too and that's just not how it works.

Keep in mind that it's all an estimate...when I was doing the MFP method I still knocked off about 20% from what my HRM told me for an aerobic event. If anything you want to account for your basal calories and deduct those.

ETA: you'd want to stop your HRM pretty much as soon as you are done with your run or whatever it is you are doing. There is some after burn with aerobic activity, but it's not much...certainly nothing worth trying to track.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When you stop your physical activity.

Think about this: if you wore an HRM to a scary movie, it would obviously read heart rate at a high beat, but would you count that as exercise?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wish a higher heart rate counted. I would have burned a ton during the Kings Stanley Cup run this year.