Help needed!

Options
I have always read these blogs and forums for motivation but have never joined one until today. I need some support out there and these boards do seem so inspirational. I have recently quit smoking (very recent, like this is day 10!) I feel so much better but I find myself sitting more and eating more. I am also overweight, this has been a battle since I had my children. At my heaviest, I weight 215, I am now down to 179 as of this morning. I really have to work to lose and keep it off and I am really scared that I will gain because I am not smoking. Regardless, I am done with smoking, but really do not want to gain all the weight back. Motivation is my problem. I have the videos and even the gym membership that I start next week. Please let me know if you have been in my shoes or just if you have some "words of wisdom" for me. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nuovocapitolo
    Options
    I, too, have quit smoking, day 22 for me today, and yes I have been eating everything under the sun and found this app to try and stop that!

Stick with it, you are doing great. I know stopping smoking had been a big help, I don't get out of breath so easily now, which should make working out easier.

Keep it up!! :)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I used to turn to food and cigarettes to comfort myself. As we both know, they're not comforting. Cancer isn't comforting. Stinking like an ashtray isn't comforting. Being bloated, uncomfortable, feeling guilty and ultimately becoming obese (due to turning to food) isn't comforting.

What are you turning to food/cigarettes for? Are you stressed? Bored? Tired? Sad? I had stuffed food or a cigarette into my mouth for so long that any 'feeling' felt like a craving for food or smokes. It wasn't. Once I learned what I really wanted, I could give it to myself. I never wanted a cigarette. I never wanted that junk food. I wanted comfort, sleep, etc.

Charmagne
  • KL2010
    KL2010 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just quit myself, today is day 12. I have no cravings but am also worried about gaining some weight due to quitting. I believe it's mind over matter. I was smoking about a pack a day. I was never one to replace a meal with a smoke and I feel that is why a lot of people gain weight once they quit. It's a great accomplishment that you should be proud of everyday!! Just take it one day at a time and when that feels too hard take it one minute at a time. Also, try to be as conscious as you can be when eating, ask yourself if you are really hungry or if you are just eating because you are not smoking. I hope this helps, good luck to you :smile:

Kelly
  • NayaThompson
    Options
    Congratulations!:happy: You have already done the "hardest part"-quit smoking. The motivation is there and here. You can do this!!!! And when you think that your goal is impossible take a look at the word and see that it says..I M POSSIBLE!!! And now we shall do the happy dance!

I know this sounds very silly coming from a stranger, but again, congratulations on all that you have accomplished.
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    The fact that you have given up smoking proves that you have discipline and are are capable of motivating yourself.
    Just like smoking, 'giving up' being unfit or overweight is down to being strict with yourself, and always making good decisions.

We all have moments of weakness, the trick is to minimise these through planning; if you're eating to much at meal times, work in healthy snacks so you're not hungry when you sit down to a meal. Buy in lots of fruit and veg, have peeled carrots or celery sitting in a glass of water in your fridge, and the second you start to feel hungry dig-in.

Don't go out to a meal on any empty stomach, this will allow you to make a good decision on your order, rather than letting your hunger decide for you.

Work exercise into your normal routine, longs walks are superb for fat burning, so ditch the car and just leave earlier. Walking to the gym would mean you're warmed up when you get there.

You know this stuff takes time and patience, but its simple maths, burn more energy than you consume and you will lose weight, simple ;)
  • angelarhodes
    Options
    Hey! Let me start by introducing myself... My name is Angela, I am a wife and mother. I am 27 years old and I have always put everyone else before myself.. While doing that my weight went from 115 8 years ago to 303 at my heaviest! I am well on my way to becoming a healthier person and so happy that I have made the changes! On Monday I weighed in at 281. I lost 22 pounds in 4 weeks and this is how: I drink a gallon of water a day, i eat 1400 calories in six meals a day( I would have never thought that eating more would help me lose weight! But when you are constantly giving your body good fuel it can burn it much quicker) I am on a workout routine that burns right around 5000 calories a day. The key to weight loss is to burn more calories than you take in. I average a 3600 deficit in my calorie intake and burn off! I hope that this information helps you and remember to stay strong you are not alone in this!
  • rachswann
    rachswann Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're going to gain weight, that's just how it is. I quit smoking 3 years ago & I have about 25 lbs. that I cannot drop due to switching my addiction from ciggs to food. I'm just trying to be healthy. Trading one addiction for another is not helping that cause. I am a mother of two young kids, so I'm just doing the best I can at this time in my life. I can tell you this - I would rather die a heavier healthier person, than a skinny, hacking, stinking, yellow fingered, black lung person........that's just how I look at it! Good luck, you can do it
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! I used to smoke, it;s been 12 years since I quit.

I read somewhere that cigarettes cause spikes in your blood sugar as does sweets. If you eat candy it causes your blood sugar to go up and when it comes down it mimics the same drop as when you go a couple hours without a cigarette. That should be one deterent to stay away from sweats while you quit smoking.

I found it helpful to keep thinking about starting over when I wanted a cigarette. I didn't want to ever have to go 2 weeks, one month, 6 months all over. You are doing great and keep that in mind. You don't want to start over. The longer you go the easier it will get.

As for your weight you need to cut yourself some slack. It takes 30 days to make or break a habit. maybe you should work on 30 days without a cigarettes and then work on adapting a new habit for losing weight.

I have 50ls to lose, had them to lose before I quit smoking too, but my goal is to make working out a habit. I have been doing so for 12 days now and I love it.
    Best wished and stick with it.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    You're going to gain weight, that's just how it is.

I disagree. I quit in July of 2010 and did not gain a pound. I did not eat more or exercise less when I quit smoking and my losses have continued (without missing a beat).

Charmagne
  • melanie76
    melanie76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to me. I can already tell this is exactly the piece of the puzzle that I have been missing. It makes a big difference when you are actually involved in a forum instead of just reading one. Thank you all so much. I will be able to do this and hope to maybe inspire a few others along the way!!!
  • smulligan0
    Options
    I quit smoking 10 years ago and it was the single most difficult thing that I ever did! I was very fearful of gaining weight also, so I made a promise to myself. Every time I wanted a cigarette, I would drink 8 ounces of water OR eat 1 baby carrot. Needless to say, I actually lost weight! I wasn't heavy at the time, but lost about 5 pounds. Kept that off until this year.... that gained it back along with 10 more! Good luck, keep at it and remember that with every day smoke-free, you are adding years to your life and benefiting your health by leaps and bounds! Congrats!