My official 300lb howdy....

Options
Hi everyone. I'm obviously new around here and wanted to say. hi. Ive been heavy for most of my life and was at 325 at my heaviest. I lost a limitless weight when drinking soda became too expensive, and then a little more when I got a stomach flu last winter. I have tried all sorts of thing to lose weight and even seriously considered weight loss surgery until I found out my insurance through work wouldn't pay for it.

As of stepping on my scale this morning, Ive lost about 12 pounds in 5 weeks since my doctor put me on Phentermine. I'm a cna so I'm active at work. And I try to walk 50 minutes to an hour three times a week for excersice. Ive been slacking in that department lately due to needing new sneakers but Ive dug out an old pair for now and Ive got to make myself start walking again. Id like to try yoga or dumbs in the between days but due to bad previous experiences I'm terrified of setting foot into a gym or excersice studio if its got other people in it.

Ive always been a very picky eater. I despise vegetables and the texture of fruit gags me. Id really like to try smoothies in order to get my fruit intake in. I don't eat much really, its just what I eat that is my downfall. I drink water with flavor drops at work all night and ive been trying to drink juice during the day. Unfortunately because I work nights I'm also stuck on coffee. Not just plain coffee but mocha mattes made with half and half and chocolate syrup. I know I need to get away from that but I need to find something that will give me the energy boost the caffiene does. I have a friend that sells advocare and is trying to get me to start drinking their spark product. Anywho, my goal is to lose weight and get strong in the right places so I can try out for roller derby and not embarrass myself again. I'm 6 feet tall and 288 right now. Any advice tips and words of encouragement are welcome.

Replies

• misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And yes, you can do it, there are a lot of people on here who have amazing success. Try the success stories section for motiviation!

Also, here's a very useful thread to get you started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Personally, I cannot emphasize enough that calorie counting is your friend! It's a little tedious at first but it's easy to make into a habit. There's no need to cut out the things you enjoy, like your lattes, it's all about fitting it into your calorie budget. Also, be honest with yourself, log what you actually eat, don't eyeball portions, etc. And set realistic goals for yourself! You will find that you can eat a lot more than you think and still lose weight. There is no need to punish yourself with ridiculously low calorie goals. All that will do is make you miserable all the time and it it will make it so much harder to stick with it. Remember, you're in this for the long haul!

I think there are also some groups around here specifically for people with a very high starting weight, maybe seek those out to get their support.

Good luck!
  • meg099
    meg099 Posts: 14
    Options
    You can do it! If you are in the right frame of mind you can definitely set yourself to it!

Here is my personal advice and keep in ind that I am in no way a doctor or nutritionist, but this is based on my own personal experience:

- Dieting
    Don't think of it as dieting but think of it as a lifestyle change! I found that when I thought of it as dieting that I thought of it as only temporary, but to see results, you will notice that your habits change. So don't opt for any crash diet or anything drastic. Start with a small goal and make it count! Then slowly build on that and soon enough it will come easily to you because it will become a habit. The first days are the tough ones.

As for the type of diet- you will hear different things from different people. Personally I have seen the greatest results with a low carb and high protein diet. Some people count calories and other people do other things completely. This is just a matter of preference. Do some research and know your limitations, but don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone a little because it does take time and effort.

- caffeine
    As for your energy. I have found that Phentermine that my doctor prescribes me gives me a huge energy boost throughout the day (although I have the worst dry mouth). If your sugary coffee is one of your weaknesses, try to look for a healthier alternative. I switched to almond milk because of the drastic difference in a carb count. And Almond breeze brand makes a really flavored great iced coffee in the dairy section of your grocery store. Also look into green tea and other teas that are a healthier alternative and natural sweetners!

I hope this helped! Feel free to message me or add me as a friend!